What's the Occupation?--Take 2

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

What's the Occupation?--Take 2

Post by amerital43 »

I am reposting this with, I hope, a clearer image at the link below.

Can anyone figure what the occupations are of the witnesses in the document pasted below? I just cannot make it out, but it is the same for both.
Also what is the last sentence of the document? I have it as: "Lette al presente agli intervenuti si persone meco--------- non il dichiarante che ---------?" I KNOW this is probably a very bad guess.
The document is from the Basilicata area. Thank you.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
apersico
Rookie
Rookie

Re: What's the Occupation?--Take 2

Post by apersico »

I'm not 100%, but one of the occupations I'm aware of is fante, meaning servant or foot soldier. That's not EXACTLY what it looks like (more like funte or fusle) but it's close.

As for the last few lines, this is the best I could do:

Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti...I think it may then say "si firmare" as firmare means to sign, the next word may be "meco", but I'm not sure, then "i --- testimonii? meco? il dichiarante stato? analfabeti (meaning illiterate)"
---
Letto il presente atto agli intervenuti si firmare meco i --- testimoni meco il dichiarante stato analfabeti.

This would translate to something along the lines of:
Read the present act to the intervened individuals. It was signed by me and the witnesses, the presenter (presumably the father) was illiterate.

My best suggestion for interpreting the words that are harder to read is to look at other parts of the record where you know what the words are and try to compare the handwriting and match the letters. Hope this helped!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Its very hard to look at a piece of document and try to translate it because of the way different civil official write there handwriting is so much different. By comparing other words in the record you can see the similar letters in the document.Thats why its nice when the whole record is uploaded
The end of records usually say the presentation and declaration of aforesaid was made in the pressence of the witnesses .
The italian law required officating agent the witnesses and the father of the child to sign the record unless they couldnt write than they would note that fact by saying they were illiterate

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

My best guess for the last phrase:

Letto il presente atto agl'intervenuti si firmano meco i soli testimoni meno il dichiarante che è analfabeta.

Laura
amerital43
Rookie
Rookie

Post by amerital43 »

Thank you all for taking the time to look and answer.