Looking for ancestors of Carolina Di Girolamo Chieti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CHill

Looking for ancestors of Carolina Di Girolamo Chieti

Post by CHill »

Hi,
We are looking for family members of my Grandmother Carolina Di Girolamo (Vedova?) Accornero. She was possibly born in Chieti on May 13, 1890 or May 31, 1890. Her father's name may be Carmine. I know she went back to Chieti, Italy in 1966 and died in Chieti on Nov 14, 1968. At that time she may have been staying with her cousin Rosina Di Girolamo or at least in contact with her. I do not know any other family names.

I don't know when or how my Grandmother came to America but she may have stayed with her sister in New York USA for some time. Her sister married a Richard Ambrosini and I think her sister and husband had six children. I don't know her sister's Italian name but my mother and Aunt called her Aunt Flo or Aunt Florence. My grandmother, Carolina married Albino Accornero who was possibly born in Casorzo Monferrato or Vignale Monferrato, Northern Italy. After marrying my grandmother, they lived in Glastonbury, Connecticut USA and in Manchester, Connecticut USA. They had two daughters Gilda (my mother) and Elena (my Aunt). I also know that my Grandmother went back to Italy several times from the 1930's until her last trip home in 1966.

Any assistance would be of great help. Thank You, Carolyn Hill
pichu2001

Re: Looking for ancestors of Carolina Di Girolamo Chieti

Post by pichu2001 »

I found a little more information, through Familysearch.

About De Girolamo family:

a)According to Ellis Island Carolina emigrated on 25 Lug 1920, dau of Carmine di Girolamo, living in Contrada Madonna delle Piave, Chieti. She went a New York to find her brother in law Riccardo Ambrosini.
b)Accordin to Ellis Island, Carolina's sister is Flavietta di Girolamo, born on 1884, emigrated on 12 Jan 1911. He travel with his husband Riccardo Ambrosini(33y) and his little son Camillo(1y). Riccardo is son of a certain Giuseppe

About Albino Accornero

a) According to Ellis, Albino was born on 1890 and emigrated on 29 aug 1913, to find his cousin Guido Rossi. His father is Giuseppe, living in Vignale Monferrato.
b) According to Word War Registration, Albino was born on 1 mar 1890, and at 52y he lived with his wife at 76 Cottage Street, Manchester, Connecticut. He works at Chimney Bros(Brothers?) in the section of Broadsand Preparation.

That's all for now.
Andrea
CHill

Post by CHill »

Hello Andrea,
I can't even begin to thank you for your effort on my behalf. Do you happen to have family that share either surname? Please let me know. If not, I'm even more amazed at your generous assistance. Thank you for coming to my aid either way!

I can't imagine how you found out so much information in a matter of hours. I called both my mother and my aunt and they over joyed. This means so much to all of us. It confirmed and clarified some of our information as well as provide me with some new leads. I'm still learning how to navigate through all the research sites but obviously I need to become a better researcher. This site, the people who participate and help each other are all wonderful. Thank you again!!!!! Carolyn Hill
pichu2001

Post by pichu2001 »

Hi, i'm happy that my work has been useful for you.
I'm not your relative, sorry, but only a man with great passion about geneaology. I hope to find some other thing about your family, it's a pleasure for me helping other people when i can.
Andrea
CHill

Post by CHill »

Andrea, You are very kind! I always dreamed of going go Italy but that may never happen. Next best thing would be to compile the information I find into a written history and display that along with copies of translated letters, photos, and other documents into a nice keepsake gift for my mother and her sister (the only two children of Carolina) who are now in their mid to late eighties. I now think that may be possible! Thank you again for giving me several new leads. very much appreciated. Carolyn
CHill

Post by CHill »

pichu2001
Hi Andrea,

I wanted to let you know I’ve spent some time this past week looking into the information your found for my Grandfather Albino Accornero, that he came to America to be with his cousin Guido Rossi. I am not a very good researcher and it takes me awhile to to learn how to look at the documents and understand what I am looking at but I do find everything very interesting. I’m just not a very good detective, yet. I could not find much info on Guido Rossi and none of it matched what little confirmed facts I have for my Grandfather. A few days later I finally got a chance to see the original ship manifest (the handwritten one) with the entry for my grandfather. It was very difficult to read the writing but I took a snapshot of the screen and enlarged it to show my Aunt. It took several variations to get the spellings correct but I came up with a similar last name (Bussa) and my Aunt said it sounded familiar. She then came up with the first name Corino which again looks similar to the handwritten Guido. We then checked local phone books and found quite a few living in Glastonbury, Connecticut which fit perfectly. I immediately checked the Ellis Island passenger records and there was only two Corino Bussas listed but they appear to be the same person, just two different trips a year apart. His last residence in Italy was Vignale, Northern Italy same as my Grandfather. His reason for coming to America was to see his cousin Filippo Gado in Seymour, Connecticut. If I hadn’t been familiar with the town of Seymour I wouldn’t have figured it out. It is only about 30 minutes from Glastonbury. And, when we looked at the local phone book for Manchester, Connecticut we found many Gados listed. One thing led to another and now I have several other leads. Two days later I looked at that same passenger list for Corino Bussa and this time I read the names of all the passengers and there was a Giovanni Accornero whose last residence was just a few miles away from where my Grandfather lived in Italy. He went to San Francisco, California. Each time I look at a particular document I see different information that may be helpful. It takes me a long tome to process all this information but it makes me hopeful I will learn a good deal about my Grandfather. Sometimes, I don’t see the obvious and it can be frustrating but when I make progress it’s very exciting. Thank you again for your efforts.

Carolyn