Please translate birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ReeJohnson2407

Please translate birth record

Post by ReeJohnson2407 »

Birth record of my grandmother's sister. I am especially interested in all the handwriting at the bottom. I realize it is probably difficult to read, but it looks like my great-grandfather signed it, which seems unusual. This daughter was born 8 days prior to her 3 year old sister dying.
Thank you so much.
Attachments
Rosa Cianciarulo's birth record
Rosa Cianciarulo's birth record
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Please translate birth record

Post by PippoM »

No, it's not unusual!
At the beginning of 19th century, declarations of birth were generally made by midwives, who took the child to the City hall to show him to the Registrar. Later, it was the child's father who went there, and they also realized it might be dangerous for a just born child to go out in the cold, especially in winter, so, I think, Registrars "believed" the father on the basis of a doctor's certificate, or went themselves to see the child.
The final part of the act states that "the declarer was exempted from showing the child, because of extreme distance of his house from the Office, after I made myself sure of the actual birth in a different way. After reading this act, it was signed by me and the declarant, as the witnesses said thay can't write" (it is a ritual formula).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
ReeJohnson2407

Post by ReeJohnson2407 »

Thank you so much! I do have a few more questions regarding this birth record.

1. Was Rosa actually born on the 6th or the day before?
2. Was my Great-grandfather (Rosa's father) 33 at the time of her birth?
3. The location of her birth was 116 Contrada ______ I can't make out the 2nd word?
4. I think the first witness was Vicenzo Giauffo, age 34, peasant farmer. Is this correct?
5. Can you tell me the name and age of the 2nd witness who was also a peasant farmer?

Thank you for your time - it means so much to me and my family.
Ree Johnson
(Maria Tarquinio-Johnson)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ReeJohnson2407 wrote:Thank you so much! I do have a few more questions regarding this birth record.

1. Was Rosa actually born on the 6th or the day before? born on the 2nd ("due")
2. Was my Great-grandfather (Rosa's father) 33 at the time of her birth? Yes
3. The location of her birth was 116 Contrada ______ I can't make out the 2nd word?
4. I think the first witness was Vicenzo Giauffo, age 34, peasant farmer. Is this correct? Vincenzo Sangiorgio son of Giuseppe
5. Can you tell me the name and age of the 2nd witness who was also a peasant farmer? Francesco Sangiorgio, 26.

Thank you for your time - it means so much to me and my family.
Ree Johnson
(Maria Tarquinio-Johnson)
T. :wink:
ReeJohnson2407

Post by ReeJohnson2407 »

Thank you very much Tessa! Now I am just confused on one item...Giuseppe's last name was Cianciarulo (my great-grandfather). So how could Vincenzo Sangiorgio be his son?
Ree Johnson
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

He was not the son of Giuseppe Cianciarulo, but rather the son of Giuseppe Sangiorgio :-)
What you are seeing is "Sangiorgio Vincenzo di Giuseppe" (Vincenzo Sangiorgio of Giuseppe)
That was how someone was identified on records...as son of (or daughter of) and then the father's name. Usually the last name was not written because it was understood that the surname was the same. This was done because you could have had MANY with the same first and last names in a town (because of naming patterns in Italy).
So the witness was Vincenzo Sangiorgio, son of Giuseppe (Sangiorgio).
Witnesses USUALLY were not related to the family, but just happened to be at the "casa comunale" (town hall) at the time of the recording of an "act" of birth, marriage or death, and would be enlisted as witnesses.

T.
ReeJohnson2407

Post by ReeJohnson2407 »

Thank you Tessa...Thank you all very much for your time - it is greatly appreciated. Now I understand! :D
Ree Johnson