Il Progresso - New York City Daily Italian Newspaper

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Il Progresso - New York City Daily Italian Newspaper

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

Hello,

I know this thread has been done before, but there was never a definitive answer so I thought I would revive it. Il Progresso was a daily Italian paper in New York City from about 1880-1989. Has anyone out there ever used this is a genealogy resource? A prior thread on this site indicated that the New York Public Library may have microfilms.

I have many many Italian ancestors who lived and died in New York City during the era of Il Progresso and I have always wondered if perhaps any of them had obituaries published. Does anyone out there have any experience with this?

It would be spectacular if somehow all of the papers could be put online for public searching. Online translators do a pretty good job these days too. This paper could be a real gold mine for New York City Italian genealogy, but it doesn't seem that people are using it much. I imagine this is because there is probably no simple way to search it. I don't even know if there is a definitive collection out there somewhere, with every daily issue.

In any event, if anyone out there has any further information or advice on how to use this resource, I would be most grateful for any feedback.

Thank you!

Felitti-Trimarco
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Il Progresso - New York City Daily Italian Newspaper

Anyone out there know anything about this? Has anyone ever used Il Progresso to search for obituaries or article about relatives? It seems to me that this would be an incredible resources, but access is not easy and virtually no one uses it.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is a link to WorldCat.org Global resources Network - Center for Research Libraries

They have Il Progresso available online BUT is only available to faculty, students and staff of member libraries. I don't know anything more about that. You'll have to follow their links to find out.

Hope it helps :-)

http://www.worldcat.org/title/progresso ... italObject

Also available on microfilm at some libraries. Put in your location to find. Here is the link for libraries with microfilm of Il Progresso in NYC area.

http://www.worldcat.org/title/progresso ... ef_results

T.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you! This is great! Now I just need to get access somehow. Thanks again!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Let me know if you are successful at gaining access :D

Good luck!

T.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

I know someone who used this and found their grandfathers obit. All the microfilms can be found at the NY Public Library.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Wow! Had great luck searching these archives! Found two obits and one was really incredible! Unfortunately, they don't have the issues for March of 1906, and that was one of the months I needed to search. Anyone have any ideas on how I might find the IL Progresso issues for March of 1906?
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Anyone have any ideas where I can find 1906 issues of Il Progresso from January to June of that year? It seems like everywhere I look places have the same microfilms. All missing January to June of 1906 (I'm looking for the March issues). I checked with the Library of Congress and came up empty handed. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Were you able to research these on-line or did you need to go in person to one of the locations? I'm interested in reviewing these papers as well - I'm sure I'll find some ancestors...

If I find the issues you're looking for, I'll let you know.