Sausa Vilardi LiPani Ilardi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PattiMac

Sausa Vilardi LiPani Ilardi

Post by PattiMac »

Trying to find out when my great great grandparents were married. Have maiden names of wives and approximate ages but don't know how to go about locating marriage dates:

Names: Antonio Vilardi married Santa Pantaleo (Found marriage cert. of their son, my great grandfather married 7/4/1893 but Vilardi was spelt Villardi) could it have changed when he came over?

Names: Lorenzo Sausa and Cattarina Filipponi - married approx. in 1866 - came over to US in 1892 (census 1910)

And also my great grandparents:

Joseph LiPani (born approx. 1880) and Santa (Sarah) Ilardi (born approx. 1883)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Sausa Vilardi LiPani Ilardi

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Patti,

Looks like the marriages you are looking for occured in Italy. Is this correct? It Italy, all vital records are kept in the town or comune they occured in. Do you know where in Italy your ancestors were from?

It can be difficult to start researching great great grandparents. Have you obtained documents (marriage, birth and death records) of the generations before the great great grandparents?

Names usually changed after immigrants entered American society, especially if the ancestor didn't read and write.

Debbie
PattiMac

Post by PattiMac »

Yes they all did occur in Italy (the marriages) the only one that didn't was my g-grandfathers/mothers...

I believe they were all from Palermo. Is there anyway of researching information on the internet. and if so, I cannot speak/read Italian.

Patti
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Do you know if they are from the town of Palermo or the province of Palermo?

Debbie
PattiMac

Post by PattiMac »

Debbie

I don't know the answer to that. I also don't have marriage cert. of my g-grandfather. I just found it looking through different websites. I was trying to trace back further in the family history. The censuses I found have really helped in finding out the approx. age/marriage, etc. It appears my g-grandmother got married at 15 and my g-grandfather was 28... EEE that wouldn't go over well these days. Could that be?

I was trying to also find them on the Ellis Island site but haven't had much luck...

It's hard to read the census on what date they came over into NY.
Patti
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Are you sure they came into the country through NY? If it was any sooner than 1982 they wouldn't be in Ellis Island. Have you checked the Castle Garden Manifests at ancestry.com?

Debbie
PattiMac

Post by PattiMac »

Debbie,

You know I am not sure of that. I guess I just assumed because I know my grandfather on the other side of the family came through Ellis Island. He's one that I know came over to Ellis Island and I cannot find him either but I will try your suggestion for the others.

I appreciate your help

Patti
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I will see if I have any luck. You have quite a few people listed in your initial post. Please clarify for me:

Name of Husband, year born, approixmate year of immigration
Name of wife (maiden), year born, approximate year of immigration
Did they come together?
Names of children born in Italy that would have come to the US with them.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I did find a Leonardo de Sausa, age 44 from S. Mauro arrived in NY on May 1981. Do you think this could be Lorenzo? There is a comune in the province of Palermo called San Mauro Castelverde.

Debbie
PattiMac

Post by PattiMac »

For Sausa:

On census his name is spelt Sausa, Laurenzo (on Marr cert. of daughter spelt Lorenzo) date listed on census of immigration looks like 1896?. Looks like age at time of census was 80 in 1910 been married for 44 years

wife name Sausa, Katherina (on Marr. of daughter spelt Cattarina) date listed on census of immigration looks like 1892? Looks like age is 65 at time of census in 1910 ..again married 44 years.

Son also listed on census as Sausa, Ignatsz, age 26 at time of census of 1910. However hard to read when he immigrated 18??.

All of above stated they were all born in It. Italian and parents of all above born in It. Italian (what does the It. stand for?)...

Then there is the sister of Ignatz (my grandmother) Cattarina who married my grandfather listed on same census with my grandfather whose name also was Ignatz but last name Vilardi ... Ignatz Vilardi immigrated in 1891 ... and Cattarina in 1892

Appears that Cattarena came over with her mother and Ignatz Vilardi came over NOT in Ellis Island...
PattiMac

Post by PattiMac »

Couldn't be him he has been dead for a long time.... he was 80 at the time of the 1910 census
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I would like to look at the 1910 census. Where did they live in 1910. I couldn't find Sausa, Laurenzo in ancestry.

Debbie
PattiMac

Post by PattiMac »

They're on the 1910 Census State of New York / County: Kings.. Morell Street

Lines 17-26 is Vilardi & Sausa ...
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Thanks, I looked at the census.

Vilardi, Ignatz immigrated 1891 NA
-- , Katernia 1892

Sousa, Lawrence immigrated 1896 NA
-- . Katernia 1896
--, Ignatz 1896

So, NA means naturalized american. Do you have naturalization records for theses ancestors? If not, you need to get them. Alot of good information will be there.

Debbie
PattiMac

Post by PattiMac »

Debbie

You are wonderful... Now how do I go about doing that???

I also have been on the Ancestry.com site and found Ignazio Vilardi, Born 1865 on that site but you have to purchase it. Figured I'd wait to see if I can locate others there before I do anything.

But if you could let me know how I can go about obtaining (write?) naturalization papers ... would be great. My dad said he has some stuff but I'm not sure if it is for them. I will find out.

Thanks so much for your help.

Patti