Mascari & Trentanelli families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
neptune

Mascari & Trentanelli families

Post by neptune »

Hello,

I am looking for some info on 2 families from Termini Imerese, Palermo, Sicilia, Italy. I belive 2 of the Trentanelli sisters married 2 of the Mascari brothers in Italy, then came to the USA. Are there Italian census' that are available on line? I can't really find much that really links the children and parents. I believe when they moved to the US, they added the "h" in Maschari from Mascari when they were in Italy. Below is the info I have...

Peter (Piatro) Maschari/Mascari-father
(1816-1909) I found his death cert on family search. He was born in Italy and I am assuming he came to the US with his children, but don't know if his wife passed away before that or not. I think his wife was Barbara Palmisano, but have no definative proof.

children:

Liborio Mascari/Maschari (1850-1926)
married Frances/Francesca Trentanelli

Rosa Mascari/Maschari (1856-1931)
married Thomas Scavio

Frank Mascari/Maschari (1858-1918)
married Augustina Trentanelli (1861-1952)
I think his name may actually be Ignazio, but cannot offer any proof that Frank=Ignazio.

I also have a Joseph Mascari/Maschari who I have as marrying Frances T Trentanelli... not sure about this though.

In Augustina's obit it mentions her having 2 sisters, a Mrs. Levo Maschari and a Mrs. Peter Deno, the Levo I believe is Liboria, but Mrs. Peter Deno, I cannot find any info on, so I think it is incorrect.

Anyway, all the above were born in Termini Imeresem Palermo and came to the US. I have found people born there with family names matching up, but can't really prove it like with a census or whatever. Most of the death certs I have don't provide that much info, and the spelling of Trentanelli varies.

For Frank, Liborio and Rosa, their death certs all list Peter Maschari as the father, and 2 of them list Barbara Palmisano as the mother.

If anyone has any incite, I would appreciate it.
fairhilleng
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Mascari & Trentanelli families

Post by fairhilleng »

There are a lot of civil records available for Termini Imerese. One of the best sources to access these records is through the Termini Imerese Database. Here is a link to the site: http://www.termini-imerese.org/DBSearch.html. You pay a reasonable yearly fee to access a database that has been transcribed from thousands of records. Searching the database should make finding your ancestors easy (if they lived in TI). Be careful. You may be surprised to find several people with the same name born around the same date. You should always work back in time with the people you know for sure. Once you find them in the database you can order the record from the TI.org site for a small fee. I've searched many of my Mascari ancestors through the database very quickly. The other place to find records is to search birth, marriage and death records by ordering microfilm from a local Family Search Center. Keep in mind that the records are listed in Italian and some are hand written and hard to read, however, there are a lot of guides to help you and this website can help you with translation. I think I see your family tree named "Lorenz/McCoy Family Tree" on Ancestry. It appears you have a lot of records already but may be able to get more through the TI database site. The TI site also has a free mailing list where you can post questions - I've found the group to be very helpful. You are very fortunate to have ancestors from a town that has a very active family history community. Good Luck!
Searching: Termini-Imerese : Mascari, Lazzaro, Cecala, Foppiano, Montemurro
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Post by princessbubbles_1 »

death record for rose
Italy80
princessbubbles_1
Veteran
Veteran

Post by princessbubbles_1 »

Name:
Ignazia Mascari
Baptism/Christening Date:
Baptism/Christening Place:
Birth Date:
10 Nov 1848
Birthplace:
Termini Imerese, Palermo, Italy
Death Date:
Father's Name:
Pietro Mascari
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
23y
Mother's Name:
Barbara Palmisano
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
23y
Indexing Project (Batch) Numbehttps://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MYTB-M73/p2r:
Name:
Frank Maschari
Titles & Terms:
Death Date:
07 Aug 1918
Death Place:
Sandusky, Erie, Ohio
Birth Date:
14 Nov 1858
Estimated Birth Year:
Birthplace
Italy
Death Age:
59 years 9 months 23 days
Marital Status:
Married
Race or Color:
Caucasian
Street Address:
Merchant
Residence:
Burial Date:
09 Aug 1918
Burial Place:
Cemetery Name:
St Joseph Cemetery
Spouse's Name:
Father's Name:
Peter Maschari
Father's Title & Terms:
Father's Birthplace:
Italy

Mother's Name:
Mother's Titles & Terms:
Mother's Birthplace:
Italy

Film Number:
Digital Folder Number:
Image Number:
Certificate Number:
fn 47691
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Italy80
neptune

Post by neptune »

thank you for the replies. fairhilleng: i just responded to you on ancestry, and thankfully, i found the website you are refering to before i saw this response (for some reason, i didn't get an email saying someone responded to my message here). that website is great! i only wish there were people from every "branch" of my and my husbands tree that are so researched and easy! granted it wasn't that easy to initally find, but the ease of the internet these days certainly helps.