Uccello help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Uccello help

Post by Amansolillo »

My great-grandfather was Salvatore Uccello, who came from Canicattini Bagni in Sicily. He had two brothers who also came to America, Vincenzo and Sebastiano. They settled in Rhode Island. They also had three cousins come as well, Vincenzo Cultrera, Giuseppe Cultrera, and Maria Bagliere (nee Cultrera). In 1919, Sebastiano died at the age of 29 and on his death certificate, it lists Giuseppe Uccello and "Savda" (or "Sanda") as his mother. I believe after Sebastiano died, Vincenzo returned to Sicily. The parents of their Cultrera cousins were Paolo Cultrera and Emanuela Uccello, who was the apparent sister of Giuseppe Uccello.

Extra facts:
Giuseppe was married to Santina Mortillaro, who died shortly after their daughter Emanuela was born.
Maria was married to Joseph Bagliere.
Vincenzo was apparently married to Giuseppina Gionfriddo in Italy.
Salvatore was married to Esther Pesaturo.
Sebastiano was married to Giuseppa Ruzzo.
"Savda"/"Sanda" may be Santina

Any information on Giuseppe Uccello, Emanuela Uccello, their parents, "Savda", or Vincenzo Uccello would be very much appreciated. Thanks
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Uccello help

Post by Tessa78 »

My great-grandfather was Salvatore Uccello, who came from Canicattini Bagni in Sicily.
You mentioned Sebastiano died in 1919 and so I looked for a record of this in Parte II of the morti thinking they have have recorded it back in Italy... Instead I found this death record for SALVATORE UCCELLO who was born in 1862 in Canicattini Bagni, and died at age 56 in New Britain, Conn. in 1918...

Bottom right side of image...
Information presented to the official in Canicattini Bagni by Lucia Liistro(?). It was a transcribed copy of a death record from the official of New Britain, Conn., Alfred S. Thompson, who recorded the death of Salvatore Uccello. Date of death was 3 December 1918. He lived at 107 Myrtle St. in New Britain. He was buried at Cemetery of St. Mary in New Britain. His father was SANTO UCCELLO and his mother was PASQUALA (no surname given). Informant looks like Vincenzo Recano(?) of 3 Mrytle St., New Britain.
Salvatore was a master elevator operator. Cause of death looks like trauma to back and neck, and a broken leg.
The record in Canicattini Bagni was recorded in Parte II of 1919, dated 17 May

Does any of this sound familiar?

Page 1

Page 2

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In 1919, Sebastiano died at the age of 29 and on his death certificate, it lists Giuseppe Uccello and "Savda" (or "Sanda") as his mother.
Here's another interesting record I found...

1920 death of Emanuela Uccello (she was single, so not the one married to Paolo), she was age 23 and HER parents were Giuseppe Uccello and Santa Cultrera...

Maybe she was a sister of Sebastiano? Ages were close.

Can you give us ANY approx. dates of birth for the others you mention in your post? There are quite a few Uccello listings in Canicattini Bagni - though the digital records only begin in 1900.

T.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

Emanuela's husband was Paolo Cultrera. They had three children:
Vincenzo Cultrera
Giuseppe Cultrera, born on 7 April 1889 in Canicattini Bagni, died March 1966 in Providence, Rhode Island. He was the husband of Santina Mortillaro.
Maria Cultrera, born 7 November 1891 in Canicattini Bagni, died October 1979 in Providence. She was the wife of Joseph Bagliere.
Salvatore Uccello, born 26 July 1887 in Canicattini Bagni, died 8 April 1968 in Providence. He was the husband of Esther Pesaturo.

The middle name of Salvatore and Esther's first daughter was Santina, which is why I believe "Savda" may be Santina. Also, the name of Salvatore and Esther's first son was Giuseppe, which makes me further believe that Giuseppe is Salvatore's father, also because Salvatore's son Giuseppe's middle name was Michele, which was Esther's father's name.
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

Because both Emanuela and Giuseppe had children named Vincenzo, I suspect their father having been named Vincenzo
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

Bump