Detainee Manifest Help!

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
pb471

Detainee Manifest Help!

Post by pb471 »

Hello,
I have a question about something written on a detainee manifest from Ellis Island for my great grandmother. Her name is Filomena Ferrante (Line 17 on the detainee list). In the dispostion category it says that she is waiting for her husband Giov. Iacovone. After Iacovone in parenthesis is (Loibby or Hoibby) New York. What is Loibby or Hoibby referring to?

I received help on the tiny writing under the main line and the genealogy expert said he thinks the government agent was German as the line reads: authorize 1/2 (T which is German for day) days to visit cousin Gabrielle Trolla at 244 Erie St. Jersey City, NJ.

Would like help with the Loibby or Hoibby code and confirmation on the small worded sentence underneath.

Thanks,
Tom
Attachments
Detainee Manifest for the Furst Bismark arriving at Ellis Island, NY from Naples in Feb 1902.
Detainee Manifest for the Furst Bismark arriving at Ellis Island, NY from Naples in Feb 1902.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Detainee Manifest Help!

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Tom! Welcome to the forum :-)

Looking at your Detained Aliens Record a few things stand out for me.
It looks like Filomena may have been traveling with 2 children. The number of aliens in her "group" was 3. At the end of the line you can also see that they consumed 3 breakfasts, 6 dinners (late lunches), and 3 suppers while detained. You will note that Filomena and her children were discharged on Feb 8 at 1:45 PM, and the ship had arrived on Feb 7 at 12:30 PM.

You are correct that Filomena was going to her husband - it is indicated twice...
In the "Cause of Detention" column you see "ditto husb ditto" which states "To husband Brooklyn NY" - the dittos referencing the lines above.
In the "Disposition column" you again see that she is going to husband "Giovanni Iacovone" (Loibby) N.Y. - I don't think the notation you see under his name is actually for this line. I think it belongs to the passenger on the next line who is going by RR (train) to her husband in Michigan, and will be staying with someone named Gabriella in NJ.
As for the (Loibby) - I'm stumped! I can only guess that it was an attempt to spell the name of a town/city in NY that Filomena pronounced.

Here is a link to help you understand the notations on these Detained Aliens Records...
http://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/Manifests/detained/

T.
Steverino3006
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steverino3006 »

Might it be "Localz"? Meaning somewhere around NYC?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I checked the original manifest for the SS Furst Bismarck on ellisisland.org

Passengers listed are
Ferrante Filomena and her children Chiara (5y) and Filippo (2m)
They are at the bottom of the page
Destination looks like "Lubskill or Subskill" to husband G. Iavacone (their spelling)

I seem to have trouble posting the images from ellisisland.org but I'll try putting the link here. You can also search for it by using the "Search by Ship" link on the site. :-)

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0028

T.
pb471

Post by pb471 »

Thank you all for trying to help. I thought the Subskill or Lubskill on the original manifest was Cobleskill or Sawkill New York, but after researching in both of these towns...no luck. I don't, and maybe never will, find out what "Loibby or Hoibby" stands for.