Town name?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Squigy
Master
Master

Town name?

Post by Squigy »

Hi, all.

I just found my great grandfather's Declaration of Intent, and was wondering if anyone could help figure out what the name of the town his wife was born in is.

Here's a pic:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/61196877@N05/6662412883/

It LOOKS like Mastivani, but I can't find anything on that.

Any help is much appreciated.

P.S.

My great grandfather was born in Calabria (San Mango d'Aquino) so it would probably be at least in that area.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Town name?

Post by Biff83 »

Paesana Squigy,

Another possibiity is Martivani but I was unable to determine if that was a comune or frazione. Did find this interesting manifest from 1902 which has some names found in San Mango d'Aquino--Coccimiglia, Mendicino, Pirano--that shows last residence as Martviano but I've also come up empty on that location. What was your great grandparents' names? Might be able to locate something with some other info.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0012

edited to add--town on the manifest might be Martirano or Martirano Lombardo, two villages near San Mango.

Biff, nipote di Giuseppe Epifano, nato 31 Agosto 1889 nel San Mango d'Aquino
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Is this your great grandmother's manifest? Maria Romito and children heading to New Castle PA to join Vincenzo Fiorillo?
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018

Biff
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Hi, Biff. Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's my great grandmother - I was wondering if it might have been a frazione since the manifest *does* say she was born in San Mango. Although, I've always wondered whether she was from the town or not (I've never encountered the name Romito there, have you?).

I was wondering if it might have been Martirano/Martirano Lombardo, however, I don't know if they could confuse that with Mastivani/Martivani. I guess the very fact they begin with an "M" automatically makes them the most likely, at this point.

By the way, I believe I may have located Vincenzo's parents - I believe they were Raffaele Fiorillo and Teresa Cimino. While I'm not positive of this, yet, I wanted to ask if you had any connection to these people or a Cimino family?
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

My grandfather's brother Antonio was married to Serafina Mendicino. Serafina's sister Maria was married to Gaetano Fiorillo, born 8 Oct 1886. Gaetano was a "bird of passage" and his wife Maria never came to the states. Gaetano's father was Domenico Fiorillo; do not know his mother's name. Maria's parents were Tommaso Mendicino and Rachel Ianni. They had one daughter Teresina born in 1910 in San Mango.

Antonio and Serafina had two children, Rosina born 1902 and Frank born 1906 in Carbondale PA. In 1908 Serafina returned to Italy with both children and raised them there. Antonio travelled back and forth to Italy in between working in the Scranton area until his death in 1945. Rosina married Domenico Fiorillo, born 2 Sep 1901 in San Mango. Rosina, Domenico and two of 10 children emigrated to Scranton PA in the early 1960's. Descendants now operate the Solfaelli-Fiorillo Funeral Home in Scranton.

Many Sammanghese settled in the Providence section of Scranton--Fiorillo, Coccimiglio, Cimino, Cicco, Ferlaino, Piraino, Notarianni, Epifano, Berardelli, Mendicino, Puteri, Torchia, Chieffalo, Colosimo, Trunzo are all families that emigrated to this area.

Biff