Pietro Lipari, b. 1841, Palermo - need help w/ record search

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sfwilm

Pietro Lipari, b. 1841, Palermo - need help w/ record search

Post by sfwilm »

I am wanting to request a birth certificate from Palermo. Is there a website or address to write to? My gg grandfather was Pietro Lipari (American spelling is Peter Lepre) born Jan 21, 1841, supposedly in Palermo, Sicily. His father was Joseph Pepe Lipari and mother was Mary Petri.
The scandalous family story is that at the age of 12 he violently assaulted a local Priest and the police was looking for him. With the aid of the Sicilian Mafia he was hidden on a boat and arrived in America alone. I would like obtain his birth certificate, Baptismal certificate, newspaper articles to verify this story, etc. I've hit a dead end and have been stuck not being able to go any further back on my tree. Any help at all would be Greatly appreciated!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Pietro Lipari, b. 1841, Palermo - need help w/ record se

Post by adelfio »

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi seeming, by 1900 census that the birthyear was 1838:

1900 United States Federal Census
about Peater Lefre
Name: Peater Lefre
[Peater Lepre]
Birth Date: Jan 1838
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1900: Biloxi, Harrison, Mississippi
[Harrison]
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1863
[1853]
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Salina Lefre
Marriage Year: 1867
Years Married: 33
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Peater Lefre 61
Salina Lefre 52

imm. 1853 naturalized
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

Sonya, From Hugh Tornabene site Index to Palermo Marriages I found the following entry; Guiseppe/Joseph Lipari son of Pietro Lipari & Isidoro Calcedonia married Guiseppe Pitre dau of Gaetano Pitre & Orazia (prob Grazia) Minafa in the Sezione/dist. of Molo 18 Jan 1839. I don't know if you have used his site if not you need to know that the data was scanned and we all know how OCR can misread type. This couple married in a time frame for when Pietro was born & he may well have been the first born son being named for his paternal grdfather. As for Joseph's wife's name she may well have been Guiseppa Maria or some combination. At the risk of seeming as if I'm trying to fit a square peg in a round hole I think I would seek out birth records for the Molo dist of Palermo through the family history library. Go to the catalog and just put in Palermo 2 entries will come up & you want the one with abt 1600 entries for films. You will have to go page by page looking for Molo entries as you can not get to an individual film by it's number. In the last year I have taken my Sicilian line back a number of generations and I give credit to Hugh and his work in helping me to understand the records. It was finding my great grdparents marriage on his list that sent me off and running.

BTW, do any of the given names of the 1st generation of children born in the states match up to the ones found in this entry?
There is one big caveat.....how common names can be as you can easily find 2 couples of the same names that are contempararies. Just as you find here in the states.
Hope this helps,
Tana
sfwilm

Post by sfwilm »

Congemi,
Thank you so much for your help. I plan to go to my local Family History Library later this week and will certainly follow your directions. I do think that you may be on to something here. I have never used Hugh Tornabene's site so I'm very appreciative for the information that you've given.
I looked in my records and here are a list of the names of the 1st generation of children born in the states in birth order:
Peter Joseph, Jr
Joseph
Frank
Irmine Mary
Mary Emmaline
Cora
Mary Carmen
Ernestine
Salvadore
Josephine
Lelia
Armond Delmas
Lillie

I'm not good with translating names from Italian to English but was told that Guiseppe is the Italian version of Joseph.
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

I understand about translating Italian given names. Here is a site you might try. I can't really give an opinion as to how good or accurate it is having just found it myself.
BTW, all FHL films are ordered on the internet now. You will need to go to Familysearch.org/films sign up and place your request. They accept visa, master card & paypal. As of tomorrow there is a considerable increase in cost.
Look forward to learning what you find so let us know on FB Italian genealogy.
Good luck
Tana

http://www.daddezio.com/genealogy/italian/names.html
sfwilm

Post by sfwilm »

Tana, Thank you so much! You are a wealth of information!
sfwilm

Post by sfwilm »

Tana, I tried to go onto the website and search the catalog but I'm afraid that I must be entering something incorrectly. It's my first time on the site. I went to the catalog and typed "Palermo" in the box that says "For", but didn't know what to select for the "search" dropdown box. Can you provide me with a link or tell me what to select in the dropdown box to get to the two Palermo entries to search the films. I'm very sure that you're on to something with your initial search of my Pietro Lipari.
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

Hi,
I wish the library would stop making changes!Anyway, google this address: https://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlc/ You will see an entry for Family Search Search library Catalog.....I think it is the 2nd entry.....click & it will take you to the old page for the catalog. In place search enter Palermo....then when entries come up click on "Italy, Palermo, Palermo....then you want to click on Civil registrations. I finally decided after going through the catalog the first time I went back and copied & pasted every entry for the Sezione/Section that I was going to work in (saves repeating the process) Just follow the heading for the Seziones and you should be able to find your films. Let me know if you have a problem.
Tana
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

Seems my link will take you directly to the catalog.....yay!
rootspursuits

Post by rootspursuits »

I am also looking for Peter Lepre's ancestry. I also have been told that he was from Palermo. Have you had any luck?
sfwilm

Post by sfwilm »

Hey, I'm glad to meet someone who is searching for his info too. I'm just inching along slowly and still searching. I never ordered the records from Family History Library because no one could clarify if the film that I order will be an index or an actual record. Do you have any more info than I've been able to get?
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

What is the film number & sezione? I will take a look to see if I can help. Tana
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The films for COMINCIA LA SEZIONE MOLO Nati 1840-1841 FHL INTL Film
1473895 and Nati 1841-1843 FHL INTL Film 1473851 they year 1841 is spread over two films

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Congemi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Congemi »

SFWILM It has been my experience with the Palermo birth records as well as marriage,from more than one sezione,they will be the documents. With some you are lucky enough to find an index usually at the end of each year. Indexes can be hit & miss.Tana

PS Thanks Marty if I had thought to go back to the beginning of the thread it would have negated my need to post.