Why is there a ___ where the mother's name should be?!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Why is there a ___ where the mother's name should be?!

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Can someone help with this record for Francesco Galotta? He might be Carminella's brother, but I cannot tell for certain. I have seen "unknown" and "uncertain" where parents names should be...but never a blank space...what does it mean?

Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Why is there a ___ where the mother's name should be?!

Post by liviomoreno »

When you see "incerto" or "sconosciuto" it means that the father (or mother) is unknown already at time of birth.
In a death act the blank space means that the persons who reported the death to the Ufficio di Stato Civile do not know the name of the parents or of one of the parents.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Well, dang! :?
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

This is what I have been able to do:

Francesco Galotta, aged 62(??), farmer; son of Nicola Galotta and widower of Antonina Gagliardino; died in Vietri di Potenza on September __, 1869.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, Francesco was 62, and he died on the 6th of September at 2 AM at his residence at Strada Arco di Piazza.
Wife's given name is Antonia. I don't see the letters for Antonina :-)
Father is deceased Nicola and mother is definitely blank.

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Hurrah!! I got 62!!

Thanks, Tessa :)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

DebiHarbuck wrote:Hurrah!! I got 62!!

Thanks, Tessa :)
AND the year 1869!! BRAVA :-)

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

The year is on the book, Tessa...but thanks! ;)