How to find resident records for Rome 1920

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
maria280
Rookie
Rookie

How to find resident records for Rome 1920

Post by maria280 »

Hi,

I would like to locate information on a Maria Candoli who lived at Via Giulia 188, Roma in Oct. 1920. She is listed as my grandmother's nearest living relative in Italy on the ship manifest of my grandmother.

I would like to know who this person is and what she did in Rome or any other information about family, etc.

What, if any, Rome records (census or some other) might be available to search that might provide this kind of information? or can you suggest what records I might be looking for and how best to find them?

I have looked at what microfilms might be available in the LDS but can't find any and Ancestry.com doesn't offer much that I can find.

Thank you.
Maria
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: How to find resident records for Rome 1920

Post by Tessa78 »

maria280 wrote:Hi,

I would like to locate information on a Maria Candoli who lived at Via Giulia 188, Roma in Oct. 1920. She is listed as my grandmother's nearest living relative in Italy on the ship manifest of my grandmother.

I would like to know who this person is and what she did in Rome or any other information about family, etc.

What, if any, Rome records (census or some other) might be available to search that might provide this kind of information? or can you suggest what records I might be looking for and how best to find them?

I have looked at what microfilms might be available in the LDS but can't find any and Ancestry.com doesn't offer much that I can find.

Thank you.
Maria
What relationship is given on the manifest? aunt, mother, cousin, etc.
Sometimes a street and comune is provided... was it?
Is it possible that this is your GM's mother? She would have been referred to by her maiden name :-)

Can you provide an image of the manifest?

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The document that you may request to Rome is "Certificato di residenza storico, relativo a Maria Candoli, Residente a Roma, Via Giulia nel 1920"
Send letter to:
Comune di Roma - Anagrafe
Via Luigi Petroselli 50
00186 - Roma (RM)
Italy
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

The last time I requested one of these Rome wanted 5 euro deposited in their bank account and requested DO NOT SEND CASH. Have things changed Livio?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Maybe the amount has increased!
maria280
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maria280 »

Thank you all for your responses.

To answer Tessa's questions:
1. The manifest uses the term "relation" to describe the connection/relationship
2. Here is a link to the part of the manifest with that information http://postimage.org/image/zem9jc1p9/ - the comune is Roma and the street is Via Giulia 188 as listed
3. I don't believe that Maria Candoli is my GM's mother for a couple of reasons:
- I have been told that my grandmother was either an orphan or an illegitimate child.
- My GM was coming to the U.S. to stay with a step-brother with the surname of Pelorosi
- When she and he were alive - my family knew him as her step-brother but we were never clear on how they were related (i.e. father or mother?)
- I have found her step-brother's birth record in Supino, Italy. He is also illegitimate but his father has the surname of Pelorosi and no mother listed on the birth record. I also have his manifest record know that when he immigrates he is still listed as living in Supino.
- When my GM marries 4 months after arriving in the U.S. she lists both of her parents as "dead" on the marriage record.

So I think Maria Candoli must not be her mother but some other relation?

Livio - thanks for the address!

Can someone help me to translate exactly what Sabino's post means? I am reading it to say that if I want a "certified" record it is 15.14 euros but if I want it on plain paper it is .26 euros?

thanks.
maria
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Why dont you send for your Grandmothers birth record and see what info is on there for her parents.
Sabino means stamped record for dual citzenship or just a photocopy of the record which will give the info of your grandmother.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Sabino, via sul sito di Comune di Roma. I certificati storici anteriori ai 24/10/1981 hanno un costo di 2,58 euro.
E'allegato una copia di una lettera ricevuto da Roma.

Sabino, go to the website of the Comune of Rome. Certificate before 24/10/1981 cost 2,58 euro.
Attached is a copy of a letter I received when I requested a photocopy of the original.
DSCN5663[1].JPG
Ann Tatangelo
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Questo è vero. Ma per genealogia preferisco avere una copia integrale da un certificato.
Ann Tatangelo
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Ann,
Anagrafe and Stato Civile are two different things.
A "Certificato di residenza" must be requested to the Anagrafe and you cannot request a "Copia integrale" of it because it does not exist.
Vital records (birth, death and marriage) must be requested to the Ufficio di Stato Civile, in this case you may request a "Certificate" or a "Estratto per riassunto" or a "Estratto per copia integrale".
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Thanks Livio, I had lost the original thread question.
I understand about the certificate of residence, that it cannot be an original.
My point was that it is possible to obtain photocopies of original acts from Rome if you go about it in the right way. Sometimes a certificate or an extract is not enough to solve a mystery or answer a question.
Ann Tatangelo
maria280
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maria280 »

Thanks everyone for this discussion. I would like to follow Livio's suggestion and start by requesting the Certificato di residenza.

Is this the correct italian with which to make the request?
--------------------
Cerco informazioni sul mia famiglia. Sto chiendendo una copia del certificato di residenza storico, relativo a Maria Candoli, Residente a Roma, Via Giulia nel 1920.

Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.
Distinti saluti,
--------------
What I think I said

I am seeking information on my family. I'm requesting a copy of the certificate of residence history of Maria Candoli, resident of Rome, Via Giulia in 1920.

I am seeking this information to learn more about my family and to find my relatives in Italy. Thank you in advance for your kindness and consideration, and please charge me for any postage and certificates.
---------------

thanks.
maria
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The letter sounds OK, my corrections are "cosmetics". Include a photocopy of your document ID and both your postal and e-mail address.

Cerco informazioni sul mia famiglia. Desidero ricevere copia del certificato di residenza storico, relativo a Maria Candoli, Residente nel 1920 a Roma, Via Giulia.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di farmi saperle l'importo e le modalità di pagamento per le spese postali e del certificato.
Distinti saluti,
maria280
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maria280 »

Thanks Livio!
By "document ID" do you mean a copy of my passport? or some other ID?
maria
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

A copy of the page of your passport showing your name and photo.