Lost relatives

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
donnamamma

Lost relatives

Post by donnamamma »

My 92 year old grandmother just passed away. My husband and I will be visiting Italy in October for the first time. I would love to find lost relatives while over there. My grandmother's parents were: Antonio Guiel from Vittorio and Anna Della (Guistina) Guiel from Treviso. Does anyone have any idea how I should go about a search for relatives?
I appreciate any help or guidance you can provide.
Thank you!
Graz

Re: Lost relatives

Post by Graz »

Hi!
Guiel sounds quite strange as surname.
Viel or Giol are surname you can find in Treviso area.
I think you can try to write to Archivio di Stato di Treviso (astv@archivi.beniculturali.it) but without the name of the town or village were your grandmother was born it's quite difficult to find something.... and people who work in these archives have no time to do it...
There are more informations in your family?
let me know... if I can help you

ciao!
raymo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by raymo »

Hi Donna,

I just checked the Italian White Pages, www.paginebianche.it, for both surnames & the towns you mentioned. There are no listings for Guiel nor for Guistina, in either Vittorio Veneto nor Treviso, respectively.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

donnamamma wrote:My 92 year old grandmother just passed away. My husband and I will be visiting Italy in October for the first time. I would love to find lost relatives while over there. My grandmother's parents were: Antonio Guiel from Vittorio and Anna Della (Guistina) Guiel from Treviso. Does anyone have any idea how I should go about a search for relatives?
I appreciate any help or guidance you can provide.
Thank you!
here are the DELLA GIUSTINA people living in Treviso province( also in Vittorio Veneto town)
http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... c=&x=0&y=0
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

again me: and this is a Domenico Gujel late Giovanni in travel with a Della Giustina, coming from Vittorio, joining Antonio and Cesare brothers... wife in Italy : Giovanna Gujel nee Del Bo..

pag 1
pag 2

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Don't worry, it will be easy....
Your grandmother surname is surely Della Giustina. It's a very common surname here, especially in the part of the town called.... Santa Giustina (now you know where that surname cames...). In the church of Santa Giustina there is one of the most important burial monument of middle age, the tomb of Rizzardo IV Da Camino, dated in fourteen century.
And I think that your grandmother birth place is Vittorio.
Guiel looks like a Belluno area surname.
As Anna is a very common name for Della Giustina family, if you post your grandmother birthdate I'll check in the records if she has born in Vittorio (but be a little patient).
They married in Italy or in Usa?

As I live in Vittorio, if you need any help for your visit I could help
vineviz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by vineviz »

Perhaps the family was Bavarian or Prussian originally, and only lived in Treviso briefly?

I found manifests from 1882 of a Guiel family emigrating from Prussia (Germany), and earlier Guiel emigrants from England, France, and Belgium.

Also, there were many families in the 1870 U.S. census (which predates much Italian immigration) and some list "Bavaria" as their birthplace.
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

Guiel do not sound as unknown to me (I worked around Stato Civile and Anagrafe of Italy for ten years), but I don't think it is the right spelling. When I will have the chance to look in the registers, I'll check it all.
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

double
donnamamma

Post by donnamamma »

Thank you all so much for your help! What a wonderul website this is:) My grandmother (Jenny Eufamia Guiel) was actually born in the US in 1914. We don't know much about our family tree or ancestors. I have seen pictures of my great grandparents and people say I look like Anna Della Giustina.
wishyou
Veteran
Veteran

Post by wishyou »

I found The records.
The surname is Gujel and not Guiel (j instead of i). Actually (and from the last 50 years) there are not Guiel or Gujel living in Vittorio Veneto.
As I said the surname was not unknow to me because probably is a deformation of the surname Gugel (G and J sounds likely), which is present in Follina, Miane Valdobbiadene area (not too far from Longhere, where Gujel family lived).
The Grandmother name is Anna Della Giustina. They were neighbour.
They married in Vittorio in 1911.
For the rest check pm.
CGuiel

Post by CGuiel »

Hello, I am in the process of researching my grandfather and his three or four brothers who emigrated to Massachusetts through Ellis Island. It is possible that your grandfather was the son of one of the siblings I am researching. I know a little about my grandfather, Cesare Guiel, who entered the United States at age 17 in 1907. Cesare had these brothers: Alessandro (Alex), Antonio, Augusto, and Dominic. Cesare lived in Holyoke, MA and Alex in West Sp[ringfield, MA. Cesare was born in Vittorio Veneto, Treviso (area, not the city), Italy in 1890. The parents were: Giovanni Guiel and Giovannina Dalbo.

Could we all be related?
donnamamma

Post by donnamamma »

Yes, I believe we are related! I just sent you an email:)
CGuiel

Post by CGuiel »

Donna,
I know your grandparents are in this pile of family tree info I have (all Americans mostly). I see that the Guiel's and Della Giustina's naturally new each other in West Springfield since both families emigrated from Vitorio Veneto. Did you go to Italy and find anyone-- Guiel or Dela Giustina? I am going in a few months and want to find Cocchi OR Guiel cousins. Please call 214 926-4856. My father's first cousin Lena was adopted by one of the Giustinas, in West Springfield I think.
CGuiel

Post by CGuiel »

donnamamma,

I am thinking you are my first cousin Tommy's daughter. I don't know where Tommy lives now. His brother Bobby is in Florida. Please telephone, as per my last posted reply. I am curious as to whether you ever made the trip to Italy and if you found Guiels there!

C.