a "proietta" from " genitori incesti" - what now?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ARotolante

a "proietta" from " genitori incesti" - what now?

Post by ARotolante »

I have just started going through civil registration microfilms posted on the Family Search website for the town of Capestrano, which is where half of my paternal grandfather's ancestors originated.

The records have not been indexed, but I had enough to go on to get started and found loads of great information fairly quickly.

I'd heard that one of our direct ancestors was an orphan. And I have found her after wondering for years who it might be.

We'd always thought my 3rd great-grandmother's name was "Innocenza Profetta" or "Prosetta". But looking at microfilms of the birth registrations of her children, it looked like her surname was written "Projetta" or "Proietta" - and not always with a capital "P".

And then I found her marriage record - which lists no place of birth, no parents, and the phrase "genitori incesti" (parental incest).

Wow.

So now what do I do? I want to find out more about Innocenza and where she came from, but with no birthplace to go on, I'm not sure what to do next. I only know she was born about 1825 and was living in Capestrano at the time of her marriage.

Her "birth" registration does not appear in the births for Capestrano between 1823 and 1827.

Seeing as how she is listed in her marriage record as "genitori incesti", might she have been relocated from another town or village to ensure she married someone outside of her own family?

I'd love to hear any suggestions you all might have of what to try next and things to consider. I know that Innocenza may forever be a brick wall in our family tree, so I'd be happy just finding out what foundling home she came from if that's even possible.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Ann
pink67
Master
Master

Re: a "proietta" from " genitori incesti" - what now?

Post by pink67 »

Hi Ann,

the correct spell is "genitori incerti" , it means unknown parents, Projetta-Proietta means she was an abandoned child.

Laura
Obelix
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Obelix »

Bet that's a relief, eh! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Ann, did Innocenza married in Capestrano? You may search in the "Matrimoni, processsetti", these are the collections of all the documentation provided to get married. You should find there her birth certificate...
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Thanks for the great tips! Innocenza did marry in Capestrano in 1851. I will have a look right away at the "Matrimoni processetti" to see what turns up for her.

"Genitori incerti"........what a difference one letter makes!

On a side note, while looking at the records of Capestrano I found the death certificate for an infant foundling from 1809 who had also been given the surname of Projetta or Proietta. This may have been the town's way to legally name their foundlings. I had read online that other towns used surnames like Tavola or "of this place" etc. Interesting.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

ARotolante wrote:Thanks for the great tips! Innocenza did marry in Capestrano in 1851. I will have a look right away at the "Matrimoni processetti" to see what turns up for her.
Here you are, beginning with https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14120643 you will see:
Ferdinando Rutulante's birth extract
Innocenza's birth extracact (she has NO surname...)
Ferdinando's father death extract
Ferdinando's grandfather death extract
Ferdinando's previous wife death extract
Copy of the banns
Marriage promise
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Wow - Livio! You are fast!

I just finished catching up on my morning correspondence and was about to go digging.....

Ferdinando and Innocenza are two of my 3rd great-grandparents, so it will be nice to have a little more detail on her "origins".

Thank you!
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Thanks to your help, I've gone back to Innocenza's original birth registration, dated 28 Dec 1825, which describes her being found on the portico of a monastery in Capestrano.

What is a translation for "pannolini lauri"?

I understand pannolini are diapers. The only translation for "lauri" I've found is laurels.

Any information would be appreciated! Thank you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

"pannolini laceri" = "ragged diapers"
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Perfect! Thank you, Livio! :)
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

I'm stuck on translating this document. UGH!

Could you help me with some phrases?

I've got that Innocenza was found on the portico of a monastery in this comune, followed by the phrase:
"prepo de'quali esso Dichiarante trovasi in qualita di Garzone," and was wrapped in some ragged diapers and seemed freshly born "es esere stata abbandonata dagli autori de' suoi giorni". I'm really stuck on the nuances of those phrases. Does this mean she was dressed like a boy and that she was abandoned earlier that day? Am I even close??

I'm also having trouble with the end of the paragraph, before the record goes into "genitori incerti". There's a few unfamiliar words and aside from her being delivered to a nurse and given the name Innocenza, I don't know exactly what it says. I've cut and pasted the part I've been working on below (even the parts that I do understand!).

If you wish to see the entire original document, it is in L'Aquila, Capestrano, 28 Dec 1825, Atto Di Nascita #87.

Any help or suggestions you can provide are appreciated! Thanks so much.

[For some reason the entire width of this image isn't showing up in my post. If you save the image to your computer, you will be able to see the entire width of it. Apologies. It's my first time with Photobucket. Grrrr.]

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

ARotolante wrote:I'm stuck on translating this document. UGH!

Could you help me with some phrases?

I've got that Innocenza was found on the portico of a monastery in this comune, followed by the phrase:
"presso de'quali esso Dichiarante trovasi in qualita di Garzone," where the Declarer works as an apprenticeand was wrapped in some ragged diapers and seemed freshly born "ed essere stata abbandonata dagli autori de' suoi giorni" and to have been abandoned by the authors of her days (poetical, really?). I'm really stuck on the nuances of those phrases. Does this mean she was dressed like a boy and that she was abandoned earlier that day? Am I even close??

I'm also having trouble with the end of the paragraph, before the record goes into "genitori incerti". There's a few unfamiliar words and aside from her being delivered to a nurse and given the name Innocenza, I don't know exactly what it says. I've cut and pasted the part I've been working on below (even the parts that I do understand!).
ed essendosi da noi visitata, si è trovata senza verun segno apparente sul corpo, e dell'età di un giorno; si è quindi consegnata alla nutrice Concezia D'Agostino la bambina, a cui si è dato il, nome di Innocenza
we examined her, and we found her not to have apparent signs on her body, and to be one day old; then we delivered the baby to the nurse Concezia D'Agostino, and gave her name Innocenza
If you wish to see the entire original document, it is in L'Aquila, Capestrano, 28 Dec 1825, Atto Di Nascita #87.

Any help or suggestions you can provide are appreciated! Thanks so much.

[For some reason the entire width of this image isn't showing up in my post. If you save the image to your computer, you will be able to see the entire width of it. Apologies. It's my first time with Photobucket. Grrrr.]

Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Thank you so much for your help, Pippo!

I was not even close with some of my guesses on the translation. So my Italian can only improve from here :)

I'm so happy to have this translated - both the handwriting and the text. Thank you again!
ARotolante

Post by ARotolante »

Following up with this after many years.....I have a new wrinkle with my ancestor Innocenza "Proietta".

In most of her children's birth records - her name is given as Innocenza Proietta.

Then on one of her daughter's birth records, she is listed as Innocenza Esposita. Makes sense. I've seen many foundlings/orphans in the Capestrano records with that surname to indicate their origins.

It took me a very long time to find her death record in Capestrano. I finally found it this morning in 1899. It took so long because she was not listed as Innocenza Proietta or as Innocenza Esposita. The name on her death record is Innocenza Capanna di Ignoti. It's definitely my ancestor, as she is listed as the widow of Ferdinando Rutulante (who died in 1884).

But why Capanna? I haven't heard of this surname before.I know that many of you have so much more experience with the records that reference foundlings/orphans than I do. Do you have any insight or thoughts as to the change from Proietta to Capanna?

Thank you for your time!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Maybe she was adopted by the family who raised her, after her marriage.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.