The Palmisano's from Bari, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mssundance

The Palmisano's from Bari, Italy

Post by mssundance »

My grandfather was born in Bari Italy and I am looking for any info on my heritage. I have his military papers. I have translated them and appear to be from the Turkish Greek War and he was discharged from. What other information can I get from these papers. I do know that he was age 14 when he was discharged. I am really interested in finding the ship he came to America on.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: The Palmisano's from Bari, Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

mssundance wrote:My grandfather was born in Bari Italy and I am looking for any info on my heritage. I have his military papers. I have translated them and appear to be from the Turkish Greek War and he was discharged from. What other information can I get from these papers. I do know that he was age 14 when he was discharged. I am really interested in finding the ship he came to America on.
Hello and welcome! :-)

Can you give us some additional information?
Your grandfather's given (first) name?
His date of birth (should be on the military record)... OR can you tell us the date of the military record so we can go "back" 14 years for his DOB?
Was he from the town of Bari? or the province? It should also be on the military record.
Where did he settle when he arrived in US? and approx. when did he immigrate?

T.
mssundance

Post by mssundance »

[/quote]

Hello and welcome! :-)

Can you give us some additional information?
Your grandfather's given (first) name?
His date of birth (should be on the military record)... OR can you tell us the date of the military record so we can go "back" 14 years for his DOB?
Was he from the town of Bari? or the province? It should also be on the military record.
Where did he settle when he arrived in US? and approx. when did he immigrate?

T.[/quote]

My Grandfather's name is Peitro Di Stefano Palmisano. His date of birth was 28 Jan 1890 and date of death was 29 Oct 1931. He was married to Catherina De Felicibus on 22 Oct 1916
After coming to the United States in approx. 1914 he lived in New York City.

His military papers say he was from Locorotondo, Bari, Italy. I am sure there is a lot more info on these papers but they are in Italian and I do not speak the language. So I only have translation one word at a time.

Thanking you in advance of any help you can give me.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mssundance wrote:
My Grandfather's name is Peitro Di Stefano Palmisano. His date of birth was 28 Jan 1890 and date of death was 29 Oct 1931. He was married to Catherina De Felicibus on 22 Oct 1916
After coming to the United States in approx. 1914 he lived in New York City. Do you have the ship manifest and/or marriage record?

His military papers say he was from Locorotondo, Bari, Italy. I am sure there is a lot more info on these papers but they are in Italian and I do not speak the language. So I only have translation one word at a time. Why not post the image of the military papers to this forum and we'll translate for you :-)
You can use http://postimage.org/ - copy and paste the "thumbnail for forum(1)" here...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Found you Family Tree on Ancestry...
You have a ship manifest for Pietro Palmisano, dated 1907, age 19.
Is that the correct manifest?
Above him is Gennaro Palmisano, age 35. Both of them are from Locorotondo, Bari; and both are going to UTICA, NY

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

From the NYC Marriage Index

Palmisano Pietro Oct 22 1916 Bronx 3313
DeFelicikey Caterina Oct 22 1916 Bronx 3313

You can request this marriage record at this site;
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... irth.shtml

T.
mssundance

Post by mssundance »

Tessa78 wrote:Found you Family Tree on Ancestry...
You have a ship manifest for Pietro Palmisano, dated 1907, age 19.
Is that the correct manifest?
Above him is Gennaro Palmisano, age 35. Both of them are from Locorotondo, Bari; and both are going to UTICA, NY

T.
I am not comfortable with this manifest because even though the age of Peitro is about right, There is no Gennaro which I might assume to be the father. I know that they came to New York City and never went anywhere else. So even though it is there I have to review it some more and make a decision on what I want to do with it.
mssundance

Post by mssundance »

Tessa78 wrote:
mssundance wrote:
After coming to the United States in approx. 1914 he lived in New York City. Do you have the ship manifest and/or marriage record?

I do have the marriage record also in italian or latin.

His military papers say he was from Locorotondo, Bari, Italy. I am sure there is a lot more info on these papers but they are in Italian and I do not speak the language. So I only have translation one word at a time. Why not post the image of the military papers to this forum and we'll translate for you :-)
You can use http://postimage.org/ - copy and paste the "thumbnail for forum(1)" here...

I am trying to upload these documents on this sight but they either take a really long time or something is not working right.

T.