Marriage in Italy and Italian Citezenship for US citizen

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johncrosetti

Marriage in Italy and Italian Citezenship for US citizen

Post by johncrosetti »

Ciao a tutti,
I was wondering if there be someone on the forum that is informed about the process, for US citizens, of getting married in Italy and then requesting legal documentation for double citizenship. My girlfriend and I would like to get married soon, and I would like to know what documents are required from US citizens. I am currently here with a valid permesso di soggiorno, but it expires in June. Any and all feedback is extremely appreciated!!! Please let me know if you have any questions or require any further information, in order to better answer the questions I have posted.
cordiali saluti,
John
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Marriage in Italy and Italian Citezenship for US citizen

Post by JJ313 »

Are you both US citizens? Is either one of you an Italian citizen currently?
johncrosetti

Post by johncrosetti »

Excuse me for omitting that minor detail. She is an Italian citizen.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

You will be applying for citizenship via jure matrimoni. The process varies depending on whether you are applying in Italy or abroad. If in Italy, you can apply at the prefettura after six months of marriage. If in the US you can apply at your local consulate after three years of marriage. The marriage must be registered in the appropriate comune. You will need your BC apostilled, translated and authenticated by the appropriate consulate. You will also need background checks from each location that you have resided since age 14 as well as an FBI background check.

Once you determine where you will be applying you should check with that authority for the exact document requirements.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

What type of ceremony are you planning on having? If you want to get married in the Catholic Church, you probably don't enough time to do so before your permesso expires. It takes at least six weeks for bans of marriage to be posted before a Catholic ceremony can be performed in Italy and this would be after you have acquired the documents you would need to marry an Italian citizen in Italy. The American Embassy can advise you about these documents.