Brillo...any ideas?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sishac

Brillo...any ideas?

Post by Sishac »

Hi Everyone...

I'm looking for any information on the name Brillo. This was my great-grandmother's last name. She was born in Catania Sicily in 1873, and married Emanuele Russo (from S. Agusta) in 1889.

Her (Romea Birllo) parents were Luigi Brillo and Adelaide Salvatore. I do not know where they were born, but family lore tells me that Luigi Brillo was an engineer who moved to Sicily to help bring electricity to the island. In addition, it is my understanding (from my 90 year old aunt) that Romea spoke "fancy" italian. This leads me to believe that she wasn't speaking Sicilian, but probably formal Italian.

Finally, looking online I see that the majority of Brillo names are in northern Italy. I know that my great-grandmothers "middle" name was Venezia....maybe her family was from Venice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Brillo...any ideas?

Post by brujaojos »

Sishac wrote:Hi Everyone...

I'm looking for any information on the name Brillo. This was my great-grandmother's last name. She was born in Catania Sicily in 1873, and married Emanuele Russo (from S. Agusta) in 1889.

Her (Romea Birllo) parents were Luigi Brillo and Adelaide Salvatore. I do not know where they were born, but family lore tells me that Luigi Brillo was an engineer who moved to Sicily to help bring electricity to the island. In addition, it is my understanding (from my 90 year old aunt) that Romea spoke "fancy" italian. This leads me to believe that she wasn't speaking Sicilian, but probably formal Italian.

Finally, looking online I see that the majority of Brillo names are in northern Italy. I know that my great-grandmothers "middle" name was Venezia....maybe her family was from Venice?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom
Dear Tom,

You can do several things here. What you really want to try and find is Luigi Brillo's death act. The death act will list what town he was born in. Hopefully he died in Catania.

You could also order the microfilm for Romea Brillo's marriage act. Hopefully they were married in her town. On her Marriage Act, you will find where the family is residing and whether her parents were alive or not.

The Family History Center has microfilm for the town of Catania. The film numbers are:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

I hope this helps.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
JUANITA

Re: Brillo...any ideas?

Post by JUANITA »

Hello

You do not mention your grandmother's name. Please see my post under Count Della Torre.

I have just come across an Emmanuel and Catharina Russo who were in Egypt in 1890, possibly Alexandra, Choubra or Tantah.

Be well and God bless