Surname : Russo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Surname : Russo

Post by frankdamore »

Hello again.

I have just about all information for my great grandmother.

Grace (Orazia) Russo (married Samuel/Salvatore Cordova)
7-4-1896 - 9-4-1987
Born in Catania, Sicily and immigrated in 1912 (couldnt find the ship record however)

From family photos, I see that her father is Ignazio and her mother is Calogera Belfiore (Belftore) and she had numerous siblings. The only siblings I know of are Rosario and Antonio. The info I have been receiving is very odd. I see an Ignazio in the database with the birth date of 1874. That could be possible, but the info linked with it doesnt seem to match well.

I have a photo attached of my greatgrandpa (Sam) cutting the hair of who I believe is his father-in-law Ignazio.

Any direction would be great. I'm stumped on this one! Thank you -Frank

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Surname : Russo

Post by Tessa78 »

On the back of the photo is Ignazio's address:
Via Vitalite (name of the street)
Barriera del Bosco (name of the village)
Catania Italia (name of the Province and country)

TODAY there are 13 RUSSO listed in the Italian Phone Book in Barriera del Bosco :-)
http://www.paginebianche.it/persone?qs= ... el%20Bosco

If you wish to write to one or more of these potential relatives...
Maybe they can fill in the blanks for you! :-)

Help with letters in Italian:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... #relatives
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

T.
frankdamore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by frankdamore »

Hi Tessa,

Thank you for those links and for also explaining what the picture stated. On the right hand side of the picture. it stated Philadelphia. PA!

I do know I have a cousin Maria, so I took your recommendation and wrote a letter to the two Maria's on the list. I followed the instructions you gave me and also included a picture of my great grandma in case that is a relative and they can hold on to that photo as it is from the early 1900s.

Let's hope some info came come together. I'll be keeping my eyes glued to the mail box and email if possible.

I appreciate the assistance again Tessa (and everyone else)

-Frank
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

frankdamore wrote:Hi Tessa,

Thank you for those links and for also explaining what the picture stated. On the right hand side of the picture. it stated Philadelphia. PA! Yes, the address on the right is to Mrs. Frank di Bella in Philadelphia... FYI the "Al" before Ignazio means "at" as you stated... "At Signor Ignazio Russo..."

I do know I have a cousin Maria, so I took your recommendation and wrote a letter to the two Maria's on the list. I followed the instructions you gave me and also included a picture of my great grandma in case that is a relative and they can hold on to that photo as it is from the early 1900s.

Let's hope some info came come together. I'll be keeping my eyes glued to the mail box and email if possible.

I appreciate the assistance again Tessa (and everyone else)

-Frank
Hope you hear from someone soon :-)

T.
NicoleC

Post by NicoleC »

Hello!!!
I'm so happy to find your post! Although you are looking for russos- I've been researching cordovas and your great grandfather is my great grandfathers brother!!!!! I hope you know that you have a very very massive Cordova family!!!! Our great grandfathers were from 9 children and my grandma your great aunt was one of 19!!!! Guisseppe was my great grandfather and I have our lineage back to our great x4 Grandparents!!!!! Back to the 1700's !!! Please contact me !!! I would love to meet You!!!! I also have out family tree on mundia.com!

Nicole