Guzzo Family Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kat7914

Guzzo Family Name

Post by kat7914 »

I have been researching my family, Guzzo, that lived in Caraffa di Catanzaro Italy for several years now and have spent many many hours searching through the LDS films. It seems the Guzzo name does not appear back in 1809 through 1813, that's all the farther I've gotten but am wondering why and where did the family come from before they lived in Caraffa and when did they get there?

I am going to try to find out if the LDS films go back farther than 1809 for that village but I'm wondering if that would be a waste of time if I can't find them in the films I have.

I'm going to continue and see when they show up in the films. I know my great grandfather was born to a Giuseppe Guzzo in 1859 but can't find Giuseppe.

Thank you to any and all help I can get. Back to reading those films!

Kathy
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Guzzo Family Name

Post by pink67 »

Hi Kathy,

the site Familysearch.org has online some civil registrations for Caraffa di Catanzaro...
If the birth act you're referring to is this one:

Birth Act number 9 - Year 1859

Caraffa Saverio was born in Caraffa di Catanzaro on the day 22 february 1859, son of Giuseppe Guzzo age 29, son of the living Saverio, occupation taylor, and of his wife Chiara Paonessa.
Saverio was baptized on the same day in the parish church of Caraffa..

image here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=12835100

then this is the possible birth act for Giuseppe Guzzo:

Birth Act number 11 - Year 1829

Giuseppe Guzzo was born in Caraffa di Catanzaro on the day 10 march 1829, son of Saverio Guzzo age 31 occupation taylor and of his wife Chiara Fimiano, the house address was "strada sopra la Chiesa" Street over the church. The declaration of the birth was made by Stefano Fimiano, brother of Chiara Fimiano, brother in law of Saverio Guzzo.
Giuseppe Guzzo was baptized on the day 10 march 1829 in the Caraffa's parish church (annotation on the right side of the act)

image here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=12833855

Laura
kat7914

Post by kat7914 »

Oh my gosh. I totally forgot about familysearch. Thank you so much. I will do some investigating and see what I find. Thanks again.

Can I search earlier years on Family Search? How do I do that?
Kathy
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You're welcome Kathy :D

Unfortunately records are not indexes but you can search them "manually", these are the acts (Births, marriages and deaths) that you can browse for Caraffa:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/ima ... %3D1937913

Good luck!

Laura
kat7914

Post by kat7914 »

Is that the only years available?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

These are the available records online...
I believe that the microfilms are for the same years:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... m%2F615285

Laura
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There should be place of birth on the early marriage and death acts I would try that route to see if your family was born in a different town
So if you found a marriage record from the early 1820's it would put you back in the late 1700's

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
kat7914

Post by kat7914 »

Marty,

Thank you. I didn't think about using the marriage record for such valuable information as you stated. So going back to 1700's might not be possible to find. Thanks,
Kathy