grandfather: impossible to find records?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

grandfather: impossible to find records?

Post by elmosgirl »

The comune offical in my family's comune sent an extract summary of my grandfather's birth act while also informing me that notations on the record do not exist (I specifically asked about notations; I knew the birth date and parentage).

When my grandfather boarded the ship for America (1901) the manifest states he was married.

Well, not to my grandmother, if in fact he was married.

He and my grandmother were married 11 years after his arrival in the US.

The marriage notation "fact" was uncovered almost ten years ago, before the Internet was as sophisticated as it is now for genealogy searching.

Any ideas, any at all,on how (or if) we can untangle this mystery, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
fargone
Rookie
Rookie

Re: grandfather: impossible to find records?

Post by fargone »

Hello Elmosgirl,
where your grandfather came from?
Do you know the italian comune's name?
Let me kn know,
thanks
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Can we see the responce and the extract of his birth of your grandfather

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
elmosgirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by elmosgirl »

There's nothing to see.

The correspondence is an
Estratto per Riassunto"
on official letterhead on which is also written:
Annotazioni: Nessuna

It is not a scan of the original document.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

"Annotazione: Nessuna" = simply...: on the original old birth act, when your grandfather married, the registrar at marriage date, no made the marriage note also on your grandfather birthact;

so it no means that your grandfather no married; just that the registrar at time no wrote the marriage note also on the birth act... this is very common...

for to know who your grandfather married in Italy needing of to search in civil records...

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What comune is it? Like Suanj says the marriage act wasnt written as as a sidenote on the record. In my research I think out of 100 my families records only couple had the marriage or death side note written on the birth act.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Comune's had different ways of recording life events. Many wrote in the margin of the birth act becasue they had to look it up anyway. Some towns keep/kept a book of all persons born in alpha/birthdate order and this page also has columns for marrige and death. Easy to do a family tree with this resource, siblings are easy to pick out etc.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.