Munno and Vollaro

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Munno and Vollaro

Post by lljg »

Yes, I only have the USA edition since they didn't have any world records for me before. I'll have to wait a while, but I will change my subscription to the World view.

Thanks if you can copy and email it to me. I appreciate it!
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
Cadea

Post by Cadea »

Per caso sono giunto in una pagina della vostra discussione (vedi post del 25 May 2010) in cui si chiede di conoscere il significato della parola italiana "faenzaro" indicato come professione o mestiere (occupation) di Gaetano Vollaro.
Conosco bene il significato di questo termine, che non indica né "fornaio", né "someone that conducts such a vehicle".
Il termine "faenzaro" indica il figulo, il ceramista, colui che fa vasi di maiolica. Il termine deriva dalla città di Faenza, famosa nel mondo per le produzioni di ceramica e di maiolica fin dal medioevo. Il termine "faenza" si diffonde in tutta europa per indicare la "maiolica", e "faenzaro" per indicare il "fabbricante di maiolica". In Italia meridionale il termine "faenzaro" si diffonde nel XVII secolo ed usato fino a tutto il XIX secolo.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Grazie per il chiarimento
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hello Cadea and Jim,
Thank you very much for this information.

Jim - can you translate all of it for me -- I only understand a little bit of it!

Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Jean,

This is the best I can do, but you will be able to get the gist of it.

"For case I am connected in a page of your discussion (you see post of 25 May 2010) in which the meaning of the Italian word asks to know itself "faenzaro" guide like profession or occupation (occupation) of Gaetano Vollaro. I know well the meaning of this limit, that does not indicate né "baker", né "someone that conducts such to vehicle". The limit "faenzaro" indicates the figulo, the ceramista, the one that does pots of majolica. The limit derives from the town of Faience, well-known in the world for the productions of ceramics and of majolica since the medieval age. The limit "faience" it is spread in all of Europe to indicate it "majolica", and "faenzaro" to indicate the "building of majolica". In southern Italy the limit "faenzaro" it is spread in the XVII century and used until ALL of THE XIX century".

Nice to hear from you, Jean.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thanks again Jim! I hope your quest to find more information about your ancestors is continuing to move forward in a positive way. I'm happy to be able to return here -- hopefully I can find out more about my ancestors. Thank you again for all that you have done for me. I truly appreciate it.

Take care,
Jean
Jean