Fillipo Saso from Caccamo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MargeS

Fillipo Saso from Caccamo

Post by MargeS »

I have a birth certificate for my great-grandfather showing he was born in Caccamo in 1886. I know nothing else about him or any of his Italy family. He migrated to the United States and married Mary Lucy Asaro. I would love to find out who his parents were and if he has any siblings.
Upon doing research online I have found many Saso's in the Trabia area but am unable to confirm that they are related.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Fillipo Saso from Caccamo

Post by suanj »

By LDs microfilms, Caccamo civil records

Topic Italy, Palermo, Caccamo - Civil registration
Titles #Registri dello stato civile, 1820-1910 Caccamo (Palermo). Ufficio dello stato civile
https://familysearch.org/eng/library/fh ... umns=*,0,0
you can find the Filippo birth act and so to know the parent's names..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

If your Filippo was born on June 15 1886, his birth act is available at
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1513486152
His parents are Giuseppe Saso, aged 30 son of Filippo and Marianna Randazzo, daughter of Matteo.
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Livio -

The link you listed - are these marriages of people born in Caccamo who married in Termini Imerese?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The birth records are listed 1820-1910 Caccamo (Palermo)district of Termini
According to Filippo Saso from Illinois World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 Record he was born June 15th 1886 in Caccamo I would say Livio has found that birth act
The marriage of Giuseppe Saso and Marianna Randazzo was in Caccamo in 1879 index number #16 out of the 10 year index
INDEX #16
1879 April 26th Giuseppe Saso age 28 born and living in Caccamo son of Filippo Saso and Maria Teresa Stanfa married to Marianna Randazzo age 22 born and living in Caccamo daughter of Matteo Randazzo and Grazia Corsello parents all residing in Caccamo
click for record click to enlarge

click for military record click again to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Marty - A question please regarding the Family Search.org site - I see the records for Caccamo starting at 1862 - which means if I need any records before that date, I'll had to request them at my local FH Center?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

gemellua wrote:Marty - A question please regarding the Family Search.org site - I see the records for Caccamo starting at 1862 - which means if I need any records before that date, I'll had to request them at my local FH Center?
That is correct the Family History Library films of Caccamo go back to 1820 civil records of birth death and marriage
I would go through the death records and see if any of the parents like Filippo Saso died and stayed in Caccamo before 1910 there would be great family info in those death records

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
gemellua
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gemellua »

Thank you for your quick reply Marty! I'll look through what's listed and see if I can get the information I need. Crossing my fingers! Even so, it's really great to any of the records available on-line. I had a live chat on FamilySearch.org with one of their volunteer a couple of years ago. At that time they said there were no plans on posting these records on their site. Much thanks to you, Suanj, and Livio for replying to MargeS' initial query!
MargeS

Post by MargeS »

thank you so much for your help! It will definitely help in my genealogy work!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I looked in the death records on familysearch.org
Italy, Palermo, Termini I...on (Tribunale), 1862-1910
Caccamo
Morti 1894-1910
Image pg 98 of 962
Index #91
1895 May 29th in the town of Caccamo death of Filippo Saso age 75 son of deceased Giuesspe Saso and deceased Vincenza Muriella widower of Maria Teresa Stanfu
click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty

Marty
MargeS

Post by MargeS »

I had a question for those of you who were able to give me help - how are you able to find these on familysearch.org. So far I've done all of my genealogy research through ancestry.com. When I try going to the Caccamo pages for familysearch all I get are the actually books, many of which are 500 pages or more. It looks like I would have to go page by page through each book and just keep looking at names. It also doesn't help that I don't know Italian. Is there a search engine to just put in the name and have these links come up? When I do a search on their home page then I get a 1920 and 1930 census plus a few other documents but nothing from the Italy records. I feel like I am missing something with doing research on that site.
Again, thank you all so very much for your help!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are Indici decennali (matrimoni)MARRIAGE 1866-1895 and Indici decennali (nati)BIRTHS 1866-1895 and Indici decennali (morti)DEATHS 1866-1895 most are arrange by last name and number of the record in alphabetical order usually in 10 year section so let say there are 70 pages the first 35 pages are from A-Z then the second 35 pages are another A-Z There are usually indexes at the end of the year in the record year your searching
Find the year and record number in the index and go back to that year and find the record in the year and act you are looking for birth death etc......
Thats why I gave you the page and index record number on my responce
THis is where I found Filippo Saso in the death index go this page
Caccamo
Indici decennali (morti) 1866-1895
Image pg 56 of 60
SASO FILIPPO /FU GIUSEPPE SASO / Anno 1895/ Num di Registro #91
Some index will show the fathers first name and unless it shows a different last name it is the same surname as the entry

Glad to help

Marty

Marty
MargeS

Post by MargeS »

Thank you so much for the explanation. Your help has been very much appreciated!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Caccamo
Morti 1862-1878, 1880-1893
Image pg 1138 of 2004
INDEX #71 < Atti di Morti Maria Teresa Stanfa wife of Filippo Saso
1881 May 18 9:00 AM before the city official of Caccamo Gaetano Madonia appeared Geatano Giamfortone age 40 and Giorgio D' Orzo citzens of Caccamo declared the death yesterday at 2:00 PM in the town of Caccamo of Maria Teresa Stanfa age 52 daughter of Ciro Stanfa and deceased Francesca Nuzzo husband of Filippo Saso
Witnesses to the signing of the record
Giuseppe Catalano age 66
Simone Gianfilippo age 46

Death of Ciro Stanfa father of Maria Teresa Stanfa
Caccamo
Morti 1862-1878, 1880-1893
Image pg 1553 of 2004
INDEX #115
1887 5th of August at 9:00 AM before the city official of Caccamo Domencio Madonia appeared Carmelo Rivaldo age 28 and Giuseppe Santoro age 52 citzens of Caccamo at 3:00 AM yesterday declared the death of Ciro Stanfa age 91 born in Caccamo son of deceased Giuseppe Stanfa and Teresa Siveri?? widower of Francesca Nuzzo
Witnesses to the signing of the record
Giuseppe Catalano age 72
Simone Gianfilippo age 52

Marty

Marty
MargeS

Post by MargeS »

Thank you Marty.
By the way - I see we are nearby neighbors. I grew up in Chicago and now live in Orland Park.