Submitted all final paperwork, now what?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Submitted all final paperwork, now what?

Post by ericataylor22 »

I have submitted all the final pieces of paperwork to the Philly consulate. Woo Hoo! It has been an interesting journey of the last year and a half.

Now can anyone enlighten me to what happens after consulate reviews and submits request to my ancestral comune?

I am trying to get an idea of what I will still need to do before I leave for Rome at the end of July.

Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Submitted all final paperwork, now what?

Post by jennabet »

I was recognized through the Philly Consulate and while my documents were still in process after being sent to my comune, I asked the Philly consulate for an expedited passport because I was leaving for Italy and they did issue me the passport after I forwarded them a copy of my plane ticket.

You might do the same if you're leaving for Italy in July and the consulate has already accepted your documents. If you live outside of Italy, the Consulates make the decision, not the Comune so it really does not matter if the Comune has gotten around to register your documents at this point.

Bottom line is that a Consulate would not accept or at least they arn't supposed to accept documents that would be rejected by a Comune, unless a mistake is made or a consulate happens to not be privy to some information about ancestors that the Comune is privy to.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

Jennabet --

Thank you so much for the information, I didn't even know this was an option!!! I will ask for the expedited passport from Lea, et al. and hope that it works out for me.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

Jennabet,

I am having a wicked time trying to get someone on the phone to discuss the expedited passport option. I have left messages on phone and email to no avail, do you have a better way to contact them?

Any help you can give would be fantastic as I leave in 22 days!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Erica, I would keep calling until you reach a live voice and tell that person, whomever it is, what you need. Try dialing numbers that are one or two digits off from the main number, as these would be individual extensions.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Had you known, you should have told the consulate about your plans when you submitted your documents. I know that if the consulates accept your documents, they will expedite cases for those moving to Italy. For example, you could have told them that you have plans to move to Italy by such and such a date and that you will forward copy of plane ticket as soon as you buy it. It only makes sense that they would do this because after waiting many months/years for an appointment these types of cases should take priority over the case of someone who may never even use the passport.
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

I did tell them I was moving by August 2012 at my Feb. 2012 appt , but there was an unexpected delay in necessary piece of paperwork from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania that pushed back my final submission date and is now causing me a bit of agiata with my leave date fast approaching.

I tried the method suggested and only got voicemails at every number, so now there are a variety of VMs and several emails submitted to Lea about this. I am hoping that someone calls me back soon.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hang in there. They will get to you. And it doesn't take long to process your passport. But keep calling. Ideally, you should have checked in with them every week from February for a status report and reminded them that you are moving to Italy in July. I assure you it's a breeze getting settled in Italy when you arrive as an Italian citizen with your passport. I know. I did it twice for myself and my sig. other did it once just recently when we came back to Italy together last November. He also got an expedited passport from San Francisco. He applied in August and was recognized end of September because he told them up front, "I am moving to Italy".
ericataylor22
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ericataylor22 »

Thanks for the encouragement. I haven't had much luck 'checking in' with the philly consulate for some reason. They really do not subscribe to the live person on the phone method of business.
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

Hi Erica,

I recently received my certificato di cittadinanza from the Philly consulate (appointment was in March), and I asked IPS Italy when I could get my passport. They said to go between 9am-12pm during the week, no need to set up an appointment.

Hope this helps!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Hi, thanks for the good info from the Philly consulate about no appointment necessary for the passport. Kind of proves what I've said all along that you're already approved for the passport once you've been recognized. Some people still insist, however, on giving out mis-information regarding a "Nulla Osta" that you must wait for. As far as I can tell, the "Nulla Osta" is for foreigners, having heard with my own ears the Anagrafe in my comune ask a woman with an Albanian passport applying for residency if she had her "Nulla Osta". Everyone else applying for residency that day, including myself, were Italians and they were not asked to produce a Nulla Osta.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote:Some people still insist, however, on giving out mis-information regarding a "Nulla Osta" that you must wait for.
When the consulate instructs an individual applying for an Italian passport that they must now wait for the police check (Nulla Osta) how is that considered mis-information? Unless of course you are implying that the consulates are following incorrect procedures? Some consulates DO require the police check.
jennabet wrote:As far as I can tell, the "Nulla Osta" is for foreigners, having heard with my own ears the Anagrafe in my comune ask a woman with an Albanian passport applying for residency if she had her "Nulla Osta". Everyone else applying for residency that day, including myself, were Italians and they were not asked to produce a Nulla Osta.
Applying for residency and applying for a passport aren't the same thing.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Philly would not have a walk-in policy for citizens applying for passports if a clearance by Nulla Osta was required. Misinformation should not be appreciated or tolerated by Italian citizens, Italian bureaucracy being what it is without the extra confusion thrown in.
kontessa
Elite
Elite

Post by kontessa »

jennabet wrote:Philly would not have a walk-in policy for citizens applying for passports if a clearance by Nulla Osta was required.
Philly is one consulate. There are others that exist with different rules.
jennabet wrote:Misinformation should not be appreciated or tolerated by Italian citizens, Italian bureaucracy being what it is without the extra confusion thrown in.
Whatever that means.
JJ313
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JJ313 »

This may be a difficult concept for some, but consulates do follow different procedures for passport applications. If you look at the Philly consulates website their directions clearly state the requirements for applying for a passport. They do not have any direction for making an appointment, however, they do state as one of the requirements that applicants are to supply is "self-addressed per-paid envelope for the return of the passports (expired and new)". This implies that they will not issue a passport to a walk in on the same day. Other consulates require a passport applicant to make an appointment (see NY and Detroit as examples) for a passport. These appointments are usually a few weeks out and these consulates will issue a passport on the day of your appointment.

The Philly consulate does state under their requirements "In the event, however, that the Italian citizen is not a resident in the consular jurisdiction where the application is presented, he/she must wait for the "NULLA OSTA" (AUTHORIZATION) from the Police Station in Italy or from the consular office where he/she resides.". (Please note that the capitalization is the consulate's).