Please help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Giovanni1950

Please help

Post by Giovanni1950 »

I am looking to correspond with someone from Barrafranca and Caltanissetta Sicilia. I am seeking any info on my Great Grandparents.

Info on Giovanni Cali and his wife Lucia (Laloggio) Cali born around 1873 and both from Caltanissetta or Barrafranca. Their children also born there whose names are My Grandfather (Stefano), Grazia, Concetta, Giuseppa and Guiseppe. They arrived in America aboard the ship America on April 15,1913

Also info on my other Great Grandparents also from Sicily but town unknown. Info on Antoninio Scaffidi and his wife Anna (Gennaro) Scaffidi. Born 1883 and 1884. Antoninio was a barber. Arrival in America unknown but had to be around 1900-1910

If anyone from the U.S. might have any info please also if you would contact me. I would be willing to discuss reasonable payment for your time and help. Please email me if you can help.

email me at gio_5_0@yahoo.com

Thank you all.

Below is posting translated into Italian by Google, so please excuse any mistakes in translation.

Sto osservando per corrispondere a qualcuno da Barrafranca e da Caltanissetta Sicilia. Sto cercando tutto l'Info sui miei grandparents grandi. Info su Giovanni Cali e la sua moglie Lucia (Laloggio) Cali sopportato verso 1873 ed entrambi da Caltanissetta o da Barrafranca. I loro bambini anche sopportati là di cui i nomi sono Stefano, Grazia, Concetta, Giuseppa e Guiseppe. Sono arrivato in America a bordo della nave America aprile 15.1913 inoltre su Info sui miei altri grandparents grandi inoltre dallo sconosciuto della città ma della Sicilia. Info su Antoninio Scaffidi e la sua moglie Anna (Gennaro) Scaffidi. 1883 e 1884 nati. Antoninio era un barbiere. L'arrivo nello sconosciuto dell'America ma ha dovuto essere intorno 1900-1910 se chiunque dagli STATI UNITI potesse avere qualunque Info prego anche se se lo metteste in contatto con. Sarei disposto a discutere il pagamento ragionevole per il vostro tempo ed a aiutare. Prego email me se potete aiutare. il email me a gio_5_0@yahoo.com li ringrazia tutti. Sotto sta inviando ha tradotto in italiano da Google, così soddisfano la giustificazione tutti gli errori nella traduzione. :)
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Please help

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Giovanni,

There is alot of help available here and its FREE. The idea is we help you find the resources you need to research your family. The research we provide is generally limited to what is available from on-line sources.

YOu are in luck, as LDS has filmed the vital records for the towns you mentioned. YOu should be able to find their birth records and trace further back from there. Here they are:

Barrafranca, Enna, Sicily, Italy
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Caltansietta,Caltanissetta, Sicily, Italy
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

Here is a post by Trish on how to use the records:
http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=2581

HAve you found your family on the 1930 census? If you need that information please tell me where they lived in 1930. I will also check the ship records.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

April 15, 1913 on the ship America arriving going to husband/father Giovanni Cali in 1020 Mailton Ave, Chicago, Ill.
Relative in Italy was father in law Giuseppe Cali. So you also know the name of Giovanni's father. Says they were all born in Barrafranca, Caltansietta. (Barranfranca used to be in the provice of Caltansietta, now it is in the province of Enna).

page 1
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0137%2ETIF

page 2
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0603040137

Looks like Giovanni came first.

EDIT: Looked at manifest again. I think the address is Milton Ave.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Is this your family on the 1930 census? Looks like your grandfather Steven and grandmother and Steven's parents above him.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4493/1930cali8hk.jpg

Debbie
Giovanni1950

Post by Giovanni1950 »

Thank you VaDeb for alerting me to my Great Great Grandfathers name. I had missed that for some reason, and that is great to now know. I have not checked the 1930 census records, I tried but all that comes up is Ancestory.com and I am a bit hesitant on spending $199.00 to join.

They all lived in Chicago Illinois most of their lives, some moved to a suburb of Chicago called Oak Park Illinois later.

I see they followed tradition with naming the children as Giuseppe was named after my Great Great Grandfather. My father Giovanni son of Stefano was named after Giovanni. Is it safe to say then my Great Great Grandmother,s first name was most likley Grazia?

I will surely check out those links you provided. Please accept my humble thanks for your help.

P.S. Is there a website where one can see the census records complete and free of charge that you know of?
Giovanni1950

Post by Giovanni1950 »

Is this your family on the 1930 census? Looks like your grandfather Steven and grandmother and Steven's parents above him.

img96.imageshack.us/im...ali8hk.jpg

Debbie

Yes that is them. And my father and Aunt Lucille is below Steve and Mary (Marie) Thank you Debbie this is great.

May I ask where you found that record?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi:
Also info on my other Great Grandparents also from Sicily but town unknown. Info on Antoninio Scaffidi and his wife Anna (Gennaro) Scaffidi. Born 1883 and 1884. Antoninio was a barber. Arrival in America unknown but had to be around 1900-1910

are an Antonino Scafidi living in Chicago Cook, Illinois;
census 1920:
Name: Antonino Scafidi
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
immigrated in 1909

already widow and living with Rosie daughter, this is your ancestors?
Regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Giovanni,

The census record came from ancestry.com. You can sign up for a 2 week trial membership for free to see if you like what is available. As long as you cancel they won't charge you. This site is also available at many libraries and LDS family history centers free of charge.

The 1930 census I posted is your family. That is interesting. It shows they are naturalized by 1930. I am puzzeld by the date of immigration. It is recorded that they all came in 1923. We have the manifest and know the wife and kids came in 1913. There was probably a misunderstanding, perhaps 1923 is the year they were naturalized. You can write NARA and request the naturalization papers.

Wildspirt - from previous posts I know you have researched in the Chicago area. Any advice on where to look for naturalization records?

Debbie
Giovanni1950

Post by Giovanni1950 »

HI Giovanni,

The census record came from ancestry.com. You can sign up for a 2 week trial membership for free to see if you like what is available. As long as you cancel they won't charge you. This site is also available at many libraries and LDS family history centers free of charge.

The 1930 census I posted is your family. That is interesting. It shows they are naturalized by 1930. I am puzzeld by the date of immigration. It is recorded that they all came in 1923. We have the manifest and know the wife and kids came in 1913. There was probably a misunderstanding, perhaps 1923 is the year they were naturalized. You can write NARA and request the naturalization papers.

Wildspirt - from previous posts I know you have researched in the Chicago area. Any advice on where to look for naturalization records?

Debbie

Yes I was thinking the same thing, one explanation could be the census taker placing a 2 instead of a 1 for 1913. I think the ship manifest more than proves they came in 1913. And evidently Giovanni had come before that and moved to Chicago and then sent for the rest of the family in 1913.
Thanks for the info above, I will see if our local library has access and if so give it a try and then decide to join or not. Once again thank you for all your help, you have provide much info I did not have before.
Giovanni1950

Post by Giovanni1950 »

Hi:

are an Antonino Scafidi living in Chicago Cook, Illinois;
census 1920:
Name: Antonino Scafidi
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Chicago, Cook, Illinois
immigrated in 1909

already widow and living with Rosie daughter, this is your ancestors?
Regards, suanj

I was blessed to know my Great Grandparents Antonino and Anna. They only had 2 children, my Grandmother Marie and my Great Aunt Lucille. They did settle in Chicago Illinois after coming from Sicily and lived in a suburb called Oak Park Illinois all their lives. It is Cook County. I do not know when they came to America from Sicily but what you state would look about right. I need to see the 1930 census records and see if they are listed and if Antonino is listed as a barber. He went by the name Anthony most of the time after in America but his given name is Antonino or Antonio.

Thank You suanj for helping. I will look over your web link soon.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Giovanni,

From SSDI. Would these be your great great grandparents?

Name Birth Date Death Date Last Residence (City,County,State)

Anna Scaffidi 2 Mar 1884 May 1973 Oak Park, Cook, Illinois
Anthony Scaffidi 23 Mar 1883 Nov 1975 Forest Park, Cook, Illinois

Debbie
Giovanni1950

Post by Giovanni1950 »

Hi Giovanni,

From SSDI. Would these be your great great grandparents?

Name Birth Date Death Date Last Residence (City,County,State)

Anna Scaffidi 2 Mar 1884 May 1973 Oak Park, Cook, Illinois
Anthony Scaffidi 23 Mar 1883 Nov 1975 Forest Park, Cook, Illinois

Debbie

Debbie;

Yes that is them. Excellent. Now to see if my library has access to the census records. Thank you Debbie.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Giovanni,

When you are at the library (if you live near where your family was from) check and see if they have newspapers on microfilm. You have the month and year of death, so look for obituaries. They can be a real good source of information.

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Debbie
Giovanni1950

Post by Giovanni1950 »

Hi Giovanni,

When you are at the library (if you live near where your family was from) check and see if they have newspapers on microfilm. You have the month and year of death, so look for obituaries. They can be a real good source of information.

I sent you a PM. Did you get it?

Debbie

Problem I have is the Library near us is very small and the services offered are very few.

I have searched all the manifests on EllisIsland.org concerning my Great Grandfather Antonio Scaffidi and Great Grandmother Anna Gennaro and although many with those names show up none meet the criteria that fits them. Was there other ports besides Ellis that people came in on? And if so did they keep records and are they available online?

Yes I got your PM and did reply.

Thanks again
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: too me also searched... many Antonio or Antonino Scaffidi( also in similar version) cames in USA... ditto for Anna Gennaro...Scaffidi and Gennaro are very diffused surname in all Sicily region... you know some other detail helpful for the search?
Regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH