Antonio Cantore from Salerno

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
badbatsmoru

Antonio Cantore from Salerno

Post by badbatsmoru »

I'm searching for info on Antonio Cantore born circa 1889 in Salerno, Italy. His parents were Antonio Cantore and Maria Brissione (sp?). I think he emigrated with his parents in 1897.

Thank you! :) l
Laura
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Antonio Cantore from Salerno

Post by VaDeb »

Is this a continuation of this topic?

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... pic&t=3171

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Antonio and Maria had 2 children, Antonio and Louis. Do you know what happened to the family after Antonio (the father) died in 1922? Did Mary remarry?

Could this Louis Cantore be one of the children?
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/9479/1930louis6mv.jpg

Did Antonio Sr. come from a town in the province of Salerno or the town of Salerno in the province of Salerno?
badbatsmoru

Post by badbatsmoru »

Sorry, guess I didn't clarify. Yes, I'm looking for the same person Antonio/Anthony Cantore (whose son is Anthony Cantore AND whose father is Antonio Cantore - 3 generations of Anthonys)

I just got his marriage certificate in the mail. I gambled and sent away for the marriage certificate of "Antonio Cantore" in the hopes that it was "Anthony Cantore" and that his bride was a DeLaurentis. It paid off and I got some new info - i.e. Antonio Cantore (Jr.) born in Salerno. (I don't know if HIS father, Antonio Cantore (Sr.) was born there or not. As far as I know, they meant Salerno the town, because Mary's birthplace is listed as New York City)

I have no idea if Mary remarried. (Incidentally, I found out her first name was Concetta) And, YES!!!! That IS Louis Cantore on the 1930 census. THANKS SO MUCH! Mary put him in an orphanage because she couldn't handle him at the time. (Sad, isn't it?)
Laura
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Great that you have a marriage license. What year did Antonio and Concetta (Mary) DeLaurentis marry? Do you know the names of Mary's parents?

Debbie
badbatsmoru

Post by badbatsmoru »

Debbie,

Antonio and Mary (Concetta) were married on January 18, 1914 at the Transfiguration Catholic Church, 29 Mott St., Manhattan, NY.

Mary's parents were Luigi DeLaurentis/DeLorentis (I've found these 2 spellings) and Carmela (this gets tricky deciphering this....).....what looks like it could be Siand....Giani....Siani....Siant!? Something like that anyways.
Laura
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Laura,

From a quick Google search it looks like this church is still there. I would suggest writing the church and requesting a copy of the church marriage record. Might have additional information. Also see if they have a baptismal record for the two children and a death record for Antonio.

LDS has not microfilmed records of Salerno. So you can write to the town and request a search for his birth act. You have the names of his parents and approximate year of birth.

I have done a quick check for Antonio's immigration record, but have not found anything that looks close yet.

Antonio born about 1889 in Salerno, if arrived in 1897 would have been about 8 when he came here. I wonder if his father's name was really Antonio. From what I have read males were not given the same first name as their father, mostly due to legal identification reasons. The exception to this is if his father was deceased when he was born. Perhaps Suanj can comment on this.

Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

badbatsmoru wrote:I'm searching for info on Antonio Cantore born circa 1889 in Salerno, Italy. His parents were Antonio Cantore and Maria Brissione (sp?). I think he emigrated with his parents in 1897.

Thank you! :) l
Most probable exact spelling is BRISCIONE surname, tipical of Salerno area... and is very rare in Italy that the father and the son have equal first name, but no impossible if the father name was Antonio+ other first name: exemple Angelo Antonio, Antonio Michele, Antonio Luigi, etc...

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

More: I think that the family, most probable, coming from Contursi town in Salerno province... I no found nobody Maria Briscione emigrated in 1897, but I found an Maria Brisciani ( probable BRISCIONE) married Siani in travel with childs, emigrated in 1914, and coming from Contursi.. http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0912%2ETIF
this data is important why Briscione surname is very rare... so is possible that also your ancestors, coming from same birthplace....
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

In fact here are the immigration record in 1897 of Carmela Siani from Contursi, with De Laurentiis(exact spelling) childs: Concetta(5 old) and Francesco(3 old), joining with husband Saverio(?) De Laurentiis http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2608030090
I think that are your Mary/Concetta ancestors..suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
badbatsmoru

Post by badbatsmoru »

Suanj,

Thank you so much! The info from Ellis Island on Carmela Siani looks like she is the one! Concetta did have a brother called "Frank" (Francesco seems right.)

The other women Maria Briscione, on the other hand, doesn't appear to be the one I'm looking for. She married a Cantore, not a Siani.

It's interesting to find out that Briscione is a rare Italian name.
Laura
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

badbatsmoru wrote:Suanj,

Thank you so much! The info from Ellis Island on Carmela Siani looks like she is the one! Concetta did have a brother called "Frank" (Francesco seems right.)

The other women Maria Briscione, on the other hand, doesn't appear to be the one I'm looking for. She married a Cantore, not a Siani.

It's interesting to find out that Briscione is a rare Italian name.
Yes I know that Briscione no married Siani; I know that maria Briscione is mother in law of Concetta De Laurentiis, and that carmela Siani is the mother of Concetta de Laurentiis... Frank is Francesco in italian spellig, so just all, I was sure about this... Briscione is very rare and most probable is an mistaken version of some other similar... I hope to find Maria Briscione...... regards, suanj
PS: I think that really this families coming from all Contursi town.............

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I know that this is a very old post, but I just found it. Of course Briscione is the name I am researching and my family is from Contursi. And there are present day connections to the Siani's of Contursi and New York.
Suanj can you give me any more information on the family name. What might it be a mistaken version of? My aunts claimed that the family originally came from France. Is that probable?

In any case, can I assume that this Maria Briscione is related to my grandfather Angelo?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

misbris wrote:I know that this is a very old post, but I just found it. Of course Briscione is the name I am researching and my family is from Contursi. And there are present day connections to the Siani's of Contursi and New York.
Suanj can you give me any more information on the family name. What might it be a mistaken version of? My aunts claimed that the family originally came from France. Is that probable?

In any case, can I assume that this Maria Briscione is related to my grandfather Angelo?
Hi, frankly, I don't know much abt this surname.... maybe you can ask, directly, to PRO LOCO of Contursi ( on lus association abt history, culture, peoples etc of Contursi) with president a briscione and can be that he have a deep study on this surname
http://www.trentaore.org/index.php?pageID=139&id=105
regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Cara suanj,

Baci, baci, baci. :lol:

You are the most amazing person in the world!!

That is my cousin Antonio. I never met him, but I met his Mother and brothers. I sent an email (in English) I hope he will be able to reply.

I can't thank you enough for the time and energy you give us. I will let you know what happens. :D

Mary Jo