Basile / Donangelo Family Info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marlaam

Basile / Donangelo Family Info

Post by marlaam »

The other day I realized that you all had given me my great great grandfather's name. Constantino Donangelo. I had never heard that name before and I haven't thought to investigate that name. I entered it into the ellis island database and found that he also came from Castroregio, Calabria, Italy in March of 1894. He was 53. The passenger above him was also from Castroregio and his name was Dominic Loda? His age is 35. It was difficult to read but I am thinking it might be Dominic Loprete that I mentioned above. I cannot find any mention of Constatino in the census records. Can anyone help me out there? Thank you all again!-Marla Basile Montalto
vj
Master
Master

Re: Basile / Donangelo Family Info

Post by vj »

The other day I realized that you all had given me my great great grandfather's name. Constantino Donangelo.
[/size]

Hi Marla
Welcome back :D !
We'd be happy to see if we can find Costantino Donangelo (prob. Donnangelo) in the US for you
So we don't duplicate your research, what records have you already found for Costantino indicating your relationship?
Thank you!
Valarie

for everyone's reference, the 1894 manifest you mentioned
http://imageshack.us/a/img6/5237/1894o.jpg

Ship Name: Ailsa
Arrival Date: 17 Mar 1894
Place of Origin: Cartrovfio
(Castroregio, Cosenza, Calabria)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York

Castantino (Costantino) Donangels (Donnangelo) 53, abt 1841
- can't decipher destination...
---

related post:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic12588.html
marlaam

Post by marlaam »

Valarie,
Thanks for your help. I have told so many people about this website in the past few years. With help from others on this site I found my great grandfathers ship manifest from Ellis Island. He came over in 1896 and in the area that asked who you were meeting here, my great grandfather, Guiseppi Basile said he was meeting his father in law Constantino Donangelo. I can't believe in the last three years it never occured to me to try to track Constantino. It came to me the other day when I was driving to work! So I tried to find any census info on him in the hopes of finding other relatives of my great grandmother Maria. I am sure they started out in Hazelton, PA in the coal mines there, but then by the turn of the century my great grandfather had moved to Philadelphia. Thanks for any info.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Marla,
Thank you so much for the additional information :D
Here's another Costantino Donnangelo
he's 10 years younger, headed to Hazleton (Luzerne County, PA)
Valarie

Jun 1896 ship manifest
edit: relinked the correct manifest
http://imageshack.us/a/img21/3493/1896n.jpg

Ship Name: Kaiser Wilhelm II
Arrival Date: 16 Jun 1896
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy

Costantino Donangelo (Donnangelo) 45, abt 1851
- male (incorrectly transcribed as female)
- married
- country-man
- destination Hazleton

note: probably traveling with 3 other folks to Hazleton
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

vj wrote:
The other day I realized that you all had given me my great great grandfather's name. Constantino Donangelo.
[/size]

Hi Marla
Welcome back :D !
We'd be happy to see if we can find Costantino Donangelo (prob. Donnangelo) in the US for you
So we don't duplicate your research, what records have you already found for Costantino indicating your relationship?
Thank you!
Valarie

for everyone's reference, the 1894 manifest you mentioned
http://imageshack.us/a/img6/5237/1894o.jpg

Ship Name: Ailsa
Arrival Date: 17 Mar 1894
Place of Origin: Cartrovfio
(Castroregio, Cosenza, Calabria)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy

Castantino (Costantino) Donangels (Donnangelo) 53, abt 1841
- can't decipher destination...
---

related post:
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic12588.html
Destination looks like Lattimer [Pennsylvania]

From wiki...
Lattimer is a village and census-designated place (CDP) in Hazle Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 554 at the 2010 census.[1] It has been known in the past as Lattimer Mines... lies 1 mile (2 km) northeast of the city of Hazleton. Lattimer uses the Hazleton zip code of 18202.

Another interesting fact...
It was the site of the Lattimer massacre in which Sheriff's deputies gunned down unarmed striking coal miners in 1897. Actor Jack Palance was originally from the village and born there in 1919

Hey Valarie :-D

T.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

T :D thanks for deciphering that!

I found quite a few Donnangelo manifests (various spellings) on Ellis and Ancestry. com, all from some version of 'Castroregio'. Can only find one joining his 'father Costantino' (I'll have to find it again if needed)
The rest of the manifests they're joining brothers/cousins and friends in Hazleton
I'm guessing they all made quite a few trips back and forth.

I can only find one(?) Donnangelo that stayed (I think it was Raffaelo)

I did find Giuseppe Basile and wife Maria (Domenica?) Donnangelo in Hazleton in 1900 - her father is not living nearby

My best guess - Costantino Donnangelo returned to Castroregio

Valarie
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

vj wrote:T :D thanks for deciphering that!

I found quite a few Donnangelo manifests (various spellings) on Ellis and Ancestry. com, all from some version of 'Castroregio'. Can only find one joining his 'father Costantino' (I'll have to find it again if needed)
The rest of the manifests they're joining brothers/cousins and friends in Hazleton
I'm guessing they all made quite a few trips back and forth.

I can only find one(?) Donnangelo that stayed (I think it was Raffaelo)

I did find Giuseppe Basile and wife Maria Donnangelo in Hazleton in 1900 - her father is not living nearby

My best guess - Costantino Donnangelo returned to Castroregio

Valarie
That was my thought, too. Especially after I read further about the Lattimer Massacre :(

T.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

T thank you so much for the background information
- it really adds additional dimension and humanity to the records.
Valarie
---

found Basile/Donnangelo family in 1900,
(also added to the original post on pg 2 http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/t ... 88-15.html)
note: son Clarence may have been named Costantino

1900 census
http://imageshack.us/a/img37/3717/1900y.jpg

Home in 1900:
216 Alder St, rents
Hazleton, Luzerne, Pennsylvania

Joseph Bassile 24, born Jul 1875 IT
- married 5 yrs, abt 1895
- immig 1897, Al
Dominica Bassile 23, born Dec 1876 IT
- 2 children
- immig 1899
daughter (son) Augustina (may have been 'Costantino') Bassile 4, born Jul 1895 IT
- immig 1899
son Angelo Bassile 1/12, born Oct 1899 PA
marlaam

Post by marlaam »

wow, you guys are awesome. I knew you would be able to help me. So now I am really confused. But I guess it looks like many of them came back and forth but I don't know who actually stayed around. I know my great grandfather and grandmother did, obviously. I guess I will just have to go to Italy to Castroregio and check things out there!!!! Someday I hope. I think I need to start making a list of these names from the both sides of the family and maybe someday they will all make sense. I will save this info for now and try to figure it all out. Maybe I will enter some of it into ancestry.com and add to my family tree. If you come across anything else, please post. As for the Hazelton area, I have been there many times but never knew there were Lattimer mines. I will make sure to stop and check out the local history next time I am up that way. Sounds like it might be a fun day trip. I wonder if they have records of coalminers from back then?