Ancestry DNA Confusing

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Ancestry DNA Confusing

Post by EMTLP »

Has anyone gotten Ancestry DNA results that don't match your expectations? I have always thought of my Ancestry as 50% Italian since both my paternal grandparents were born in Avigliano and so on back many generations. My DNA results have a glaring omission Italy.

Thinking this was unusual I had a sibling do the test and got slightly different results but again no Italy!

Are the people of Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata, Itay immigrants from lands afar? I don't really know the history of the area. Any thoughts?
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Ancestry DNA Confusing

Post by ddevirgilio »

I've participated in a number of DNA tests for genealogy purposes, and I've taken part in AncestryDNA since the early beta. From my experience, none of them have a geographic labeling as granular as "Italian". The most granular you can expect for a geographic area would be "Southern European".

However, with all of the conquests and migrations which occurred throughout the history of Southern Italy, I would guess that your DNA reflects the history of the area much like mine did. I had some really surprising results, but then I found some logic to it. At the risk of sounding like a shameless plug, if you'd like to learn more about my experience, I'll just direct you to my last blog post at http://blog.knowingnonno.com/ rather than rehashing it all here.

I had my mother take the AncestryDNA test too, and I'm still waiting on the results. I also plan to have my dad tested too. We'll see what comes up. It's definitely not a perfect science.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

The strange thing for me is that Southern Europe isn't part of my or my brother's results. I wish my father were alive so he could be tested. I think he would be fascinated with the results.
ddevirgilio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ddevirgilio »

If you don't mind me asking, what were your results? Feel feel to PM if you'd prefer.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

sent you a pm