Ged-Com Files

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Ged-Com Files

Post by wldspirit »

Awhile back.....I believe Debbie had warned of info found in Gedcom files.
Out of idle curiosity I checked the family name of Cupi in these files.......what I found was the most erroneous info imaginable!!!!!
Wrong names, wrong dates, wrong marriages.....even the wrong children!!!
I contacted the submitter to no avail.... :roll:
Any suggestions??????
wldspirit
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ged-Com Files

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Wildspirit,

There is alot of incorrect information out there. I don't think you have any other recourse than contacting the submitter and hoping they will "fix" their posted informaiton.

The internet has made the sharing of genealogy information very easy, but also enables mistakes to spread. Anyone can submit their tree to a variety of on-line sources. No proof or documentation of that information is require. Others, will often then copy that into their tree (sometimes citing the original poster, others claim the info as their own). Many do not verify the information.

All information found (on-line and in print) needs to be verified. If the information seems to "fit" you family, use it as a guide. Contact the submitter and see if they will share documentation. Look for original documents. Does the typed index match the actual ship manifest or census page? Do they verify what has been previously found in other original sources or contradict.

Unless our research in being submitted to a professional organization, only we will be the judge of the soundness of conclusions drawn. But how sad and a waste of time tracing the "wrong" family.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Ged-Com Files

Post by wldspirit »

Thanks Debbie.......it is fustrating to see such haphazard material thrown together......and it is more than apparent that this person did not bother to verify anything!! You were right on target to have warned a previous poster on the reliability of these files.
Lee