Crosco/Croselli Family ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Crosco/Croselli Family ancestry

Post by erudita74 »

Do you have the family on the 1900 census? I see it says that they had been married for 14 years, so 1886 would be a good estimated year of marriage, but I still have not been able to find the record. Also it says they had had 6 children, only 4 of whom were living. This census gives Mattie's birthdate as June 1854, but doesn't give a date of birth for Philip.

United States Census, 1900," Philip Croses, ED 106 Portland district (east side) Terra Alta town, Preston, West Virginia, United States

name: Philip Croses
titles & terms:
event: Census
event date: 1900
event place: ED 106 Portland district (east side) Terra Alta town, Preston, West Virginia, United States
birth date:
birthplace: Italy
relationship to head of household: Head
father's birthplace: Italy
mother's birthplace: Italy
race or color (standardized): White
marital status: Married
years married: 14
estimated marriage year: 1886
mother how many children:
number living children:
immigration year:
page: 14
sheet letter: A
family number: 267
reference number: 13
film number: 1241770
digital folder number: 004123464
image number: 00237
Household Gender Age Birthplace
head Philip Croses M Italy
wife Mattie Croses F 46 West Virginia
son Tonio Croses M 10 Maryland
daughter Alenida Croses F 6 West Virginia
daughter Lizzie M Croses F 3 West Virginia
son Rolly F Croses M 1 West Virginia
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Lacey
Have you tried contacting the Preston County Historical Society in W. Va? There is a look-up volunteer for marriages in that county at the following website:

http://www.wvgenweb.org/preston/books.htm

This website is for birth and death indices in the state of Pa, in case you need the death indices there-

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/se ... ords/20686
lharkins

Post by lharkins »

Erudita, Thank you for at least trying to find them! I really appreciate your help. Have you (or anyone else reading this) had any experience with the USCIS? I understand that you can request immigration records from them. Do you know if you can request other information, even though I don't have a lot of information about Phillip Crosco? Or would you happen to know how much their services are?
Thanks!!
Lacy
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Lacey

I have no experience dealing with USCIS. I have been able to retrieve all of my own naturalization records through the National Archives and Records Administration(NARA)

USCIS is for naturalizations from 1906. Here is the link-
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

If you look under services in the left column, you will see a link for genealogy. Click on that to get to the next screen and info. There is a fee for the records, as you will see.

Before 1906, any "court of record" (municipal, county, state, or Federal) could grant U.S. citizenship. Here's a useful link from the NARA with info concerning pre 1906 naturalizations

http://www.archives.gov/research/naturalization/

I should also add that the earlier the record, the less info you will probably get about your ancestor.
lharkins

Post by lharkins »

Erudita,
I didn't see your post with the 1900 Census until just now! Thank you! No, I didn't have that before. I think I'm going to have volunteers check in Preston Co, WV and Somerset Co, PA to see if they can find anything. I'll let you know what the results are.

Another interesting bit of information I found is that Mattie died in Somerset Co Community Hospital in 1954. It said she was 89, so that would be about 1865 for her birth. The obituary also says that her husband, Phillip, preceded her in death. I've searched newpaperarchive.com up and down and can't find anything on Phillip, though. I also checked the NARA and can't find him.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

lharkins wrote:Erudita,
I didn't see your post with the 1900 Census until just now! Thank you! No, I didn't have that before. I think I'm going to have volunteers check in Preston Co, WV and Somerset Co, PA to see if they can find anything. I'll let you know what the results are.

Another interesting bit of information I found is that Mattie died in Somerset Co Community Hospital in 1954. It said she was 89, so that would be about 1865 for her birth. The obituary also says that her husband, Phillip, preceded her in death. I've searched newpaperarchive.com up and down and can't find anything on Phillip, though. I also checked the NARA and can't find him.
Lacey,
I'm glad I found something you didn't already have. Also I just saw a post from 1999 at the following link. I know this person is researching the same family as you, but I doubt the email address on the site will still work. I'm sending you the email address in a private message so as to not post it publicly on the forum. If you access the site, and click on the person's name, you should also see the email address.

http://berks.pa-roots.com/Archives/quer ... /q021.html

BTW, I see on another website that this person said that Mattia's surname was Pullam and not Record, but I still think it's the same family.

Erudita

I also just came across some other individuals on the internet researching this same family.

This person has an exact date of birth for Martha Record-the surname has a different spelling which is probably the correct spelling for her surname
http://reckart.net/html/dat214.html#1
Crosco, Philip
Spouse: Reckart, Martha (Mattie) P.
Birth : JUN-9-1868 Albrightsville, PCo
Parents: Father: Reckart, Lewis
Mother: Sliger, Lydia

Children: Crosco, Lonnie
Birth : FEB-3-1910 Corinth, WV
Death : FEB-21-1962 Confluence, PA
His spouse: Chidester, Katherine
Children:
Crosco, Gearldine Elenore
Crosco, Mildred Louise

Also you may have the following obit which I just came across-

OBIT: Annie (CROSCO) PERETTI RACOSTA, 1996, formerly of Somerset County, PA

Contributed for use in the USGenWeb Archives by Meyersdale Library
Transcribed and proofread by John C. Oester.

Copyright 2005. All rights reserved.
http://www.usgwarchives.net/copyright.htm
http://www.usgwarchives.net/pa/somerset/

RACOSTA

Annie Peretti Racosta, 96, of Scottdale, formerly of Somerset, died Feb.
21, 1996, at Westview Nursing Home, Scottdale. She was born Feb. 14, 1900,
in West Virginia, daughter of the late Philip and Mattie Crosco. Preceded
in death by her first husband, Joseph Peretti, in 1928, and second husband,
Frank Racosta, 1982; four brothers and three sisters. Survived by the
following children: Philip Peretti of Mesa, Ariz.; Mary Olsen, Roseville,
Calif.; Mrs. William (Margaret) Marcondia of Mount Pleasant; Joseph Peretti
of Somerset, Frances (Racosta) Haer of Meyersdale; 14 grandchildren, 18
great-grandchildren, six great-great-grandchildren and five
step-grandchildren. Member of St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church and a
former owner-operator of Annie's Bar, Somerset. Friends will be received
from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Wilbur D. Miller
Funeral Home, Somerset, where Wake service will be conducted at 3 p.m.
Sunday. Mass of Christian Burial will be conducted at 10 a.m. Monday at St.
Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Msgr. Samuel J. Tomaselli officiating.
Interment, SS. Philip and James Catholic Church Cemetery, Meyersdale.
Daily American, February 23, 1996

http://files.usgwarchives.net/pa/somers ... -annie.txt
Gperettu

Post by Gperettu »

Hey! I know this is an old thread, but I came across is as I am looking into my family genealogy. Annie Crosco is my Great Grandma. She married Joseph Peretti aka Guiseppe Peretti in 1918. He passed in 1928. My Grandfather Phillip D Peretti born. 1919 was a lovely man, always singing and joking around. Played the accordion and banjo. Annie remarried to Frank Racosta. Annie lived from 1900-1996. I had the pleasure of knowing her. She was a firecracker and a half! I think she lived in Mt. Pleasant in her later years. My grandpa phillip passed in 2003. My dad was born in 1952, Also Phil Peretti and I was born in 1983, with the Phillip kept in my namesake for my middle name! Joseph Peretti’s father was also Felippe, which is probably how the original Phillip Crosco would have spelled his name before coming to America. Hope this helps!