Question

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Conti832
Veteran
Veteran

Question

Post by Conti832 »

As I have posted before my family and the Italians in my Hometown come from a Area South of Rome towns such as Pofi ,Ceccano,Castro Dei Volcsi.They have a thing going with Italians in another nearby town who come from another part of Italy about making sausage.

We make it using orange peels and in this area it is known as Sharpsville sausage.Is this a regional thing?
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Question

Post by Italysearcher »

Liver sausage made with fruit peels is common in the area you mention. It is also very good. I imagine it is regional. It varies even from town to town. In Sora they even use dried grapes for one version.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
annros

Post by annros »

HI,
Would you know the authentic rescipes from Pofi, Ceccano, Frosinone? The recipes in here in the US are Americanized.
My mother was from Pofi she emigrated to Endicott, NY in 1950. She cooked in the way she had learned on her farm in Pofi. She passed away before I could write down any of her recipes. I do try to cook like her from memory. I made the sausage this weekend and it tastes just like hers. It is made with fennel seeds, orange peel, red pepper flakes, salt and port butt. I would like to learn more of the authentic
ficoping

Post by ficoping »

You might be interested in knowing a tipical salami produced in Abruzzo Region, with orange peel, and especially in the Province of Chieti. The salami name is Annoia or locally nuje or annuje. It is a sausage that uses the stomach and intestines of a pig.

The stomach and intestines of pigs are cleaned by washing in water and cornmeal and are then boiled for two hours. Subsequent processing involves cutting small strips and put them in salt. Adding flavors: hot pepper, garlic, fennel seed, orange peel. The flavor is more or less flavored depending on the mixture of these aromas.

It is usually consumed after a few days of preparation as a fresh sausage.

It is very good.
Best regards
Ficoping
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Indeed as we are getting into Sausage season. My family in Abruzzo slaughters the pig in November so that we have fresh sausage for Christmas.