Rocco, Piemonte, Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
GiordanoTadeo

Rocco, Piemonte, Italy

Post by GiordanoTadeo »

My ggrandfather, Vincenzo Giordano, emmigrated to America on 19FEB1904. On his Naturalization Declaration several years later, he stated his was born in Nocera, Italy on 23JAN1877, married to Rosalia Tadeo on 15AUG1903 in Nocera (where she was also born). He came to America 6 months later then sent for his wife in 1905. He lists his last foreign residence as Rocco, Piemonte, Italy.

I am trying to get their marriage banns from Nocera but no luck, even after sending money and 2 letters and waiting nearly a year.

Can anyone here tell me about that region? Rocco (or San Rocco?) Piemonte, and Nocera?

Also, he came over on the "Republic" and the ship's manifest states he was going to meet his brother in law Vincenzo Ruggiero at 190 Taylor St, Chicago, Illinois. I can't find anything on any relations in Italy. There is strong belief that Vincenzo Giordano sent money to Italy every week for several years after he arrived in America but eventually he stopped. Not sure if there were political disagreements or his Italian family perhaps died? He never spoke about family in Italy so no one knows how to trace our Italian roots.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any pieces to this puzzle at all.

Susan Martin
USA
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Rocco, Piemonte, Italy

Post by liviomoreno »

There are 4 towns named Nocera in Italy
Nocera Inferiore (Prov. Salerno)
Nocera Superiore (Prov. Salerno)
Nocera Umbra (Prov. Perugia)
Nocera Terinese (Prov. Catanzaro)

To which one of the above you sent your request?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

GiordanoTadeo wrote:My ggrandfather, Vincenzo Giordano, emmigrated to America on 19FEB1904. On his Naturalization Declaration several years later, he stated his was born in Nocera, Italy on 23JAN1877, married to Rosalia Tadeo on 15AUG1903 in Nocera (where she was also born). He came to America 6 months later then sent for his wife in 1905. He lists his last foreign residence as Rocco, Piemonte, Italy.

I am trying to get their marriage banns from Nocera but no luck, even after sending money and 2 letters and waiting nearly a year.

Can anyone here tell me about that region? Rocco (or San Rocco?) Piemonte, and Nocera?

Also, he came over on the "Republic" and the ship's manifest states he was going to meet his brother in law Vincenzo Ruggiero at 190 Taylor St, Chicago, Illinois. I can't find anything on any relations in Italy. There is strong belief that Vincenzo Giordano sent money to Italy every week for several years after he arrived in America but eventually he stopped. Not sure if there were political disagreements or his Italian family perhaps died? He never spoke about family in Italy so no one knows how to trace our Italian roots.

Thanks to anyone who can offer any pieces to this puzzle at all.

Susan Martin
USA
Hi Susan, abt Rocco, Piemonte I believe that is Roccapiemonte, Salerno province, very close at Nocera Superiore and Nocera Inferiore

http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&rlz=1R ... CDcQ8gEwAQ
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jimmyjoe

Post by jimmyjoe »

City of Cosenza,Calabria

Copy of birth certificate of last name Lorenzelli, First name Emiglio Number 30

The year of 1895 2nd day of May at the hour nine oclock and fifteen minutes in the city of Cosenza( Calabria) In front of me, Last name Corigliano, First name Francesco, Secretary in Charge. On the date of January 3rd 1895 having the task of officer for the city of Cosenza in charge of birth and death certificates; has appeared before me Last name Cicognini, first name Annunciata, daughter of (Dead), Carlo Cicognini, of the age of 43 years old.Midwife in this city. Residing in the square of ST. Giovanni, which has come to declare to me that at 6 oclock in the afternoon on the 1st. of this month in the house located at Via CamposantoViecchio born to a woman who does not want to be mentioned by name was born a male child whom she shows me and gives the name Last name Lorenzelli. first name Emiglio. The declaration and presentation of said child was done in front of witnesses first name Salvatore of the (dead ) Francesco, being 60 years of age and as occupation is a financier and first name Fava last name Gregorio of the( dead) Domenico, who is 46 years of age and as occupation works as a cab driver. Both reside in Cosenza. The said Child is ordered by me to be sent to an Orphanage in this city who was bought to our attention by the Midwife Cicognini, to whom I have given copy of this certficate of birth for presentation to the orphanage home. The present certificate has been read to the following witnesses and to the midwife and to me the undersigned because the witnesses are illerterate and cannot read or write.

Signed Annunciata Cicognini, Midwife, officer in charge signed Francesco Corigliano.

This copy of the birth certificate is according to the laws used most convienent. Cosenza 25th of March 1914

Jimmyjoe--This is my Lorenzelli was my grandfather. name change to Giordano who lived on taylor street in Chicago
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

hello there, my family lived at taylor and halsted and came form Nocera. I would love to compare notes (genealogy notes at least) with you. send me an email jon@joncorrado.com