1872 Birth Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
295tro

1872 Birth Record Translation

Post by 295tro »

I'd very much appreciate help from anybody who could thoroughly translate this birth record. I would like to extract as much information / details from it as possible—every little bit will help. I've put a red rectangle around the two parts of the record, which begins on a lower left page and continues on an upper right page.

Here's a Google album link which will allow for significant enlargement (click on thumbnail, then click on magnifying glass icon, then use enlargement slider tool on lower right of page): http://tinyurl.com/c3tn4tj

Thank you very much in advance!!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: 1872 Birth Record Translation

Post by erudita74 »

295tro wrote:I'd very much appreciate help from anybody who could thoroughly translate this birth record. I would like to extract as much information / details from it as possible—every little bit will help. I've put a red rectangle around the two parts of the record, which begins on a lower left page and continues on an upper right page.

Here's a Google album link which will allow for significant enlargement (click on thumbnail, then click on magnifying glass icon, then use enlargement slider tool on lower right of page): http://tinyurl.com/c3tn4tj

Dated Oct 2, 1873 at 2 P.M. in Riccia

Informant was the midwife, Maria Giovanna Ciocca, the daughter of deceased Saverio (?), age 56

She reported that at 9 P.M. yesterday, in the house on Strada Pozzo a Monte, a male infant was born to Angela Maria Rosella, the daughter of deceased Pasquale Rosella. She was age 42, a housewife, and the wife of Francesco Aloia, age 52, the son of deceased Nicola Aloia. Francesco was a hat maker. The infant was given the name Vincenzo Maria.

Witnesses to the declaration of the birth and presentation of the infant were Orazio Ciccaglione, the son of deceased Pasquale. He was age 46. The other witness was Gaetano Mossa, the son of deceased Francesco. He was age 61. Both witnesses were property owners living in Riccia.

The informant did not sign the record, as she did not know how to write. You will see the signatures of the witnesses and the town official there though.

Erudita
295tro

Post by 295tro »

Erudita: Thanks a million for those details...super helpful! I shall add an extra hour to my next batch of LDS indexing (only records in English, unfortunately) in your honor!!!
295tro

Post by 295tro »

Would you please let me know if you are absolutely certain that the year of the entry is dated 1873 rather than 1872? The title page on the microfilm that I thought was for this section (rather than for the records that preceded it on the microfilm) was printed with REGISTRO ANNO 1872. I just added that image to the same Google album, but here's a direct link to it: http://tinyurl.com/cd8tatz
. I've had conflicting information about the year being 1873 vs 1872 in other records, too. But one record signed by the subject himself later in life clearly indicates a September 1872 birthdate, which would seem to work well with an October 1872 entry in the register. Thanks very much again!!!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

erudita74 wrote:
295tro wrote:I'd very much appreciate help from anybody who could thoroughly translate this birth record. I would like to extract as much information / details from it as possible—every little bit will help. I've put a red rectangle around the two parts of the record, which begins on a lower left page and continues on an upper right page.

Dated Oct 2, 1873 at 2 P.M. in Riccia

Informant was the midwife, Maria Giovanna Ciocca, the daughter of deceased Saverio (?), age 56

She reported that at 9 P.M. yesterday, in the house on Strada Pozzo a Monte, a male infant was born to Angela Maria Rosella, the daughter of deceased Pasquale Rosella. She was age 42, a housewife, and the wife of Francesco Aloia, age 52, the son of deceased Nicola Aloia. Francesco was a hat maker. The infant was given the name Vincenzo Maria.

Witnesses to the declaration of the birth and presentation of the infant were Orazio Ciccaglione, the son of deceased Pasquale. He was age 46. The other witness was Gaetano Moffa, the son of deceased Francesco. He was age 61. Both witnesses were property owners living in Riccia.

The informant did not sign the record, as she did not know how to write. You will see the signatures of the witnesses and the town official there though.

Erudita

I meant to type Moffa as the surname for the witness Gaetano. Sorry about that.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The year is 1872 for the birth act of Vincenzo Maria Erudita is pretty sharp must be just a typo

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

adelfio wrote:The year is 1872 for the birth act of Vincenzo Maria Erudita is pretty sharp must be just a typo

Marty

Thanks for noticing the typo, Marty. I was running late for my yoga class when I typed the translation and didn't get a chance to proof it.

Erudita
295tro

Post by 295tro »

Perfect!

Now I am just trying to resolve the specific day. I have a perfectly clear September 30, 1872 birthdate shown on a record personally signed by Vincenzo later in life. Whereas if this record is dated October 2 (Wednesday), and the birth was reported as having occurred the day before, that would make his birthday October 1 (Tuesday), 1872 at 9 p.m. according to the registry. Any chance that there are any other hints/indications in there that might support his actual birth being 24 hours earlier on September 30 (Monday), 1872?

Also, should the translation that "The other witness was Gaetano [Moffa], the son of deceased Francesco" actually be that Gaetano was the "son of deceased Nicola Aloia"? That would make the generational lineage as:

Nicola Aloia --> Francesco Aloia (and brother Gaetano [Moffa Aloia] as witness)--> Vincenzo Aloia

Thank you both for this great help!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

As far as I can tell, the date of the record is definitely the 2nd and the birth was reported by the midwife as having taken place yesterday, meaning on the 1st "nel giorno di ieri-"on the day of yesterday."

The witness Gaetano Moffa was the son of deceased Francesco, meaning the son of deceased Francesco Moffa. He was not an Aloia. Witnesses to the declaration of the birth, and presentation of the infant at the town hall, were not necessarily relatives. There were individuals at the town halls who just served as witnesses as needed, so if you look at the records preceding and following your record, you may find that the same witnesses were in those other records.

Erudita
295tro

Post by 295tro »

Thanks for clarifying that.

So then the lineage is definitely Nicola Aloia --> Francesco Aloia --> Vincenzo Aloia, and a mere 24-hour discrepancy between the registry's date of birth and that self-reported by Vincenzo several decades later.

Again, this was a huge help!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

295tro wrote:Thanks for clarifying that.

So then the lineage is definitely Nicola Aloia --> Francesco Aloia --> Vincenzo Aloia, and a mere 24-hour discrepancy between the registry's date of birth and that self-reported by Vincenzo several decades later.

Again, this was a huge help!
You're very welcome. Yes, you have the lineage correct, according to the info in the record.

Erudita