Finding my father, Elio Secchi

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
findmydad77

Finding my father, Elio Secchi

Post by findmydad77 »

Hi everyone,

I've got a story which ends with a problem, and that's where I'm hoping someone here will be able to help.

Here goes.......

Ever since I can remember I was told that I was half Italian, I was born in a town in Scotland in 1977.
As I grew up I was always asking questions about my absent birth father(my mum married my stepfather when I was eleven). My mum never really wanted to talk about him, so I spoke at length about him and the circumstances with my grandmother. Basically I was was told that my mum had been working in Sardinia for a few years during which time she was in a relationship with my father. At some point in 1976 my mum discovered she was pregant and decided that she'd rather go back to Scotland to have her baby(ME). My father begged her to stay, but she was pretty determined to do it her way!
I was told that at some point before I was born there was talk of him coming to live in the U.K but he had decided against it, as his english was poor. As the subsequent months rolled past a picture was painted of my mum and dad loosing contact with each other.

So here's me a young man living in Scotland with Italian blood coursing through my veins with no dad to show for it with the notion in my mind that he did't care enough about me to try to make a go of it with my mum in a different country, not worth the effort!! This what I felt about myself for years.....he never cared about me, so I don't care about him.

I eventually got engaged and emigrated to New Zealand in 2005, again roll on another few years to 2010. My family has now grown with two sons and a daughter on the way, my mum was visiting us and my wife asks her to give me more information on my dad.

BOMBSHELL!!!!!

She tells me that they had a major falling out, and she subsequently left Sardinia and flew back to Scotland without telling him she was pregnant. Although he tried to make contact, she ignored him and he eventually gave up. So for years the notion I had held about my father was wrong. My mum had never shared this with anyone till she told me.
After finding out I tried a few things to find him, but as I speak no Italian I felt it was going to be an uphill struggle. Work and family eventually got in the way, and my hunt was reduced to facebook on the odd occasion.

The details I have are a bit sketchy but here they are:

My father is Elio Secchi, he will be around 60 years old, he lived and worked in Olbia as a chef.
He has two brothers, one named Maurizio(elder) and Paolo (younger) he also has a sister but my mum couldn't remember her name. I have a couple of pictures that I could scan.

I can possibly get more information from my mum if required.

So that's what I've got, question is can anyone help me find my dad and my children their true grandfather???

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Paul.

wanted my mum to remain
[Paul Rudden
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Finding my father, Elio Secchi

Post by adelfio »

From Italian phonebook possible
http://www.paginebianche.it/

SECCHI ELIO
Via Piave 66
07037 Sorso (SS)
tel: 079 353107

Sorso is a comune in the province of Sassari in the Italian region Sardinia, located about 8 km north of Sassari.

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
findmydad77

Post by findmydad77 »

Thanks Marty,
Now I just need to practice the lingo, or find someone to do the talking!!
[Paul Rudden
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

try facebook too. There is one by that name....maybe he resembles you.
findmydad77

Post by findmydad77 »

Thanks Sirena,

Had a look and you my be right. Have sent him an email, I''ll let you know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Paul.
[Paul Rudden
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Post by Sirena »

Please keep us posted. I hope it works out for you!