Help with translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Dach
Rookie
Rookie

Help with translation

Post by Dach »

[img=http://s19.postimg.org/67efnwl1r/zappia ... nknown.jpg]

Can someone please help me translate two people on this record I am interestd in the one on the left that has the name Zappia, also on the bottom of that same page it looks to me to be the Viola name? Can you also please give me any information on that one as well? Thank-you so much for your time.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Help with translation

Post by liviomoreno »

12 Jan 1807 Baptism of Nunzia Grazia Genoveffa Zappia, born the same day to [can't read father's name] and to Illuminata.

The last record in the same page is for Filippo Nunzio Reale
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

liviomoreno wrote:12 Jan 1807 Baptism of Nunzia Grazia Genoveffa Zappia, born the same day to [can't read father's name] and to Illuminata.

I believe the father was Don* Pietro Zappia and the mother Donna* Illuminata Zappia, but there is something written before the father's name which I can't decipher and after the word for spouses. What I see right before each of their first names is the letter "d" or an abbreviation for the titles Don and Donna. After the d. I see the Latin name Petro for Pietro in Italian or Peter in English

The last record in the same page is for Filippo Nunzio Reale
Dach
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dach »

Thank you for your help, I have in my tree (that I had gotten the names from another distant family member and I am trying to verify) the father as Giovanni Giusepp Pietro Zappia. The mother as Illuminata Maria Filippa Zappia. So I believe this record is for a sister to the direct relation in my line. Is it common for them to have many names, and then just use one of them later? Again thank you so much, this wouldn't be possible for me with out your help and time.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Dach wrote:Thank you for your help, I have in my tree (that I had gotten the names from another distant family member and I am trying to verify) the father as Giovanni Giusepp Pietro Zappia. The mother as Illuminata Maria Filippa Zappia. So I believe this record is for a sister to the direct relation in my line. Is it common for them to have many names, and then just use one of them later? Again thank you so much, this wouldn't be possible for me with out your help and time.
In going through a lot of Latin church records for my own research, I am finding that infants were often given multiple names when they were baptized but then in later church records-such as marriage or death- were only referred to by one of those names, not necessarily the first name on the baptism record. Also this carried over to the state civil records, where individuals only used one of the names. So I found an ancestor baptized as Gaspare Baldassare Melchiorre, but in his marriage and death records (both church and civil), and in all of his children's records, he was referred to only as Melchiorre. This just sometimes makes matching the records to the correct individual difficult.

Erudita