Naturalization Records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Franco29

Naturalization Records

Post by Franco29 »

If I am understanding correctly, to obtain my Italian passport I need to determine if my grandfather because a naturalized US citizen prior to my dad being born. Is this correct?
If so, how and where do I find this information? Seems I need to access naturalization records but I'm having difficulty. Any suggestions? Thank you!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Records

Post by mler »

You would actually need to determine that your gf naturalized AFTER your father was born or that he never naturalized.

You may want to begin with ancestry.com. You can also contact NARA.
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Thanks, mier. A quick search online yesterday came up with no record, which I guess is what I want. But I'm sure a more thorough investigation will be necessary.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Census records, while not always accurate, may provide a clue. Also the death certificate may indicate citizenship status.
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Unfotunately, a further bit of digging revealed my grandfather was naturalized about 5 years prior to my dad's birth. . .too bad for me. :cry:
I guess my next path is to determine my maternal grandparents naturalization status.
Do my great grandparents have any affect on my ability to gain an Italian passport?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You can certainly trace back to your great grandparents, but you cannot use their status to skip a generation.

Check out your maternal line. It may work for you.
Schuyler

Post by Schuyler »

Hi Franco
I'm sorry to see your post - and wonder if you can tell me how you found your grandfathers naturalization record???? I've received letter from uscis of non existent record and can not find ANYTHING regarding his residence(s)
Appreciate your assistance
N
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

I used this link: http://www.archives.gov/research/natura ... index.html
Can we assume that no record of naturalization means your relative never naturalized?
Schuyler

Post by Schuyler »

I'll try link when home from a computer instead of iPhone...
Thx!
Yes
That's what I assume