Easy & Difficult Italian consulates

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Easy & Difficult Italian consulates

Post by volpin »

Hello there

When reading various posts I noticed that once I have the required documents collected to make a citizenship application, I need to send it to the consulate of the country where I am resident (and not from where I am a national).

I am asking this because I am Brazilian, I currently live in Switzerland (close to Italy!), but I might be moving to Melbourne-Australia within a few months for a while.

I also read that there are easier-going and not-so-easy-going consulates, e.g. the one in New York being one which apparently is not-so-easy-going.

Where would be the best to lodge; São Paulo, Geneva/Bern, Melbourbe/Canberra?

Any comments/views on this?

Grazie/Obrigada/Merci/Thanks
G. Volpin
GGF Volpin - Ceregnano, Rovigo, Veneto
GGM Sartorato - Bovolenta, Padova, Veneto
GGF Lattari - Fuscaldo, Cosenza, Calabria
GGM Storchi - San Benedetto Po, Mantova, Lombardia
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Easy & Difficult Italian consulates

Post by jennabet »

Rovinj was under the Republic of Venice from 1283 to 1797. After the fall of Venice, Rovinj was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Following World War One, Rovinj became part of Italy. It belonged to Italy between two world wars 1918 to 1947 and subsequently became part of Yugoslavia and later Croatia. You do not have to search for an easy Italian consulate because you are not eligible for Italian citizenship.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You seem to be confusing Rovinj (Rovigno) with Rovigo. Two different cities in two different places.

I don't know if Switzerland would be easier than Australia, but I think there is a long wait time in Brazil. In any case, you don't have a choice. You can only apply where you hold legal residence.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

In addition, your assertion that Rovinj was annexed by Italy from 1860 to 1870 fits nicely with your GGF's birth date but you are incorrect. Rovinj did not belong to Italy until 1918 through 1947. Prior to that it was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Rovigno and Rovinj are the same place. This place now belongs to Croatia.
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

good day,

my GGF came from Rovigo, not Rovigno.

Rovigo is close to the Po river in present day Italy, south of Venice, on the provincial and regional border with Emilia Romagna.

Volpin is (apparently) a typical surname from this area meaning "little fox".

I was told it was annexed to Italy in 1866 after the third Italian war of independence.
Before that it belonged to The Venetian republic and for a some period it was part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire.

It is a region where Italian (or better, one of the Italian dialects) has been spoken for a very long time.

saluti
G. Volpin
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Region of Veneto (A region is like a State)

The state is comprised of Provinces (like counties). The provinces are:
Belluno, Padova or Padua, Rovigo, Treviso, Venezia or Venice, Verona, Vicenza

The entire region of Veneto belonged to the Austro-Hungarian Empire (including the province and comune of Rovigo). The annexation date of 1866 is insignificant.

You missed the deadline to submit the documents of your ancestors from Rovigo. Citizenship is closed to those descendants.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Actually, according to Italian citizenship law, the annexation date is very significant. No, he/she did not miss the deadline because there is no deadline in this case.

The deadline refers to people whose ancestors were born in those territories that were part of Austria-Hungary in the twentieth century. When Rovigo became a part of Italy--in the mid nineteenth century, probably 1866--all those who were born there became italian citizens no matter where they then resided (unless, of course, they naturalized before that date).

Rovigo was not part of the post WW I Treaty of San Germain (ceding certain Austrian territories to Italy), since it was already part of Italy.

As an aside, Volpin, it is likely that your great great grandfather's birth certificate is in Italian since that region was ethnically Italian despite its former status as an Austrian territory.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Volpin, you may get lucky and find a consulate that will accept your documents but I know of other cases that were denied after 2010 when documents originated in Rovigo.
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

Dear mler, jennabet

Looking back so far in the past during a time when areas changed hands frequently is clearly not an easy task and I thank all of you for your honest input.

On the following website I found
http://www.esteri.it/MAE/EN/Italiani_ne ... inanza.htm

4. GRANTING OF ITALIAN CITIZENSHIP PURSUANT TO SPECIAL LAWS

A. Law n. 379 of 14 December 2000, provides for recognition of Italian citizenship to persons born and formerly resident in the territories of the former Austro-Hungarian Empire and their descendents in possession of the following requirements:

-> birth and residence of an ancestor in the territories formerly belonging to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and annexed to Italy at the end of the First World War in the Treaty of San Germano;

-> emigration abroad of an ancestor between 25 December 1867 and 16 July 1920.

Claims for recognition of Italian citizenship had to be submitted by 20 December 2010 to the Italian diplomatic-consular authorities if the applicant was living abroad, or to the official statistics office (Anagrafe) of the city of residence if living in Italy.

Claims submitted by the deadline are examined by an inter-ministerial commission set up in the Ministry of the Interior, which rules in function of satisfaction of the prescribed legal requirements. If the ruling is favourable the Ministry of the Interior issues clearance for recognition.

When I read "birth and residence of an ancestor in the territories formerly belonging to the Austro-Hungarian Empire and annexed to Italy at the end of the First World War in the Treaty of San Germano (=Treaty of Saint-Germain-en-Laye in 1919)", I am pretty sure this part of the law does not apply to Rovigo province.

I think it mainly refers to the Trentino - Alto Adige/Südtirol region.

So I will continue my search for the necessary documents, but I will read more about about this on other forums as well. In case I find out more, I will let you know here as well.

Thanks
G. Volpin
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

on the consulates, mler I think you are right about Brazil, but I should find out if there is a difference between Switzerland and Australia (we will have legal residence in both places).