Sabatino Relatives

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Sabatino Relatives

Post by smithpa1 »

Thank you for the help.

Paula
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Paula: here are Lawrence Sabatino in 1930 census St Louis, MO , also it again declares that emigrated in 1904 http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/305/ ... uiscen.jpg

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by smithpa1 »

Thanks.

Do you have any idea as to how I could find the city in Sicily that these relatives were from?

Paula
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Paula,

According to the 1930 census he entered the county in 1904. If you can find a passenger record that will tell where he came from in Italy. If he was ever naturalized, that will also give the town.

Other than that you collect every document you can find and hope one gives the town and not just the county of Italy. Do you have birth records for all the children he had? Do they give his place of birth. What about a death certificate. If he lived long enough, social security could be a possible source. Church records.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Paula,

Have been looking for a manifest... haven't found one of interest... but what I have noticed is that the surnames "Levitano", Laiosa, Allotta, can be found in the Lercara, Sicily area...

mfjp
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

YOu might want to consider the port of New Orleans. This isn't the Sabatino you are looking for, but is it familar at all?

Name Arrival Date Age / Gender / Marital Status Native Country/Town Destination Ship

Antonino Sabatino 21 Jan 1906 22/m/s Alimena N.O.,La. vincenzon-Florio
Also a Giuseppe and Sebastiano arriving the same date.

Source Information:
Nichols, Shirley, comp. Italian Passengers to Louisiana, 1905-10. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com, 2000. Original data: Louisiana State Archives. Citizens and Alien Manifests of Ships to Port of New Orleans, Louisiana. New Orleans: 19--.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

smithpa1 wrote:Thanks.

Do you have any idea as to how I could find the city in Sicily that these relatives were from?

Paula
Hi think Petralia Sottana or Racalmuto..........regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by smithpa1 »

I am going to Archives to see if I can get birth certificates, etc., hopefully I can find something there.

Thank you all again for your help.

Paula
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Paula, just an thought:
In 1910 census 10-Wd Police Jury, Pointe Coupee, Louisiana:
Lorenzo age 50 and immigrated in 1895(last number seems an 5)
Josephine age 40 and immigrated in 1900
Lawrence age 9 and born in Louisiana

In 1920 census Independence, Tangipahoa, Louisiana:
Lorenzo already decesead
Josephine re married, age 40(!) immigrated in 1904
Lawrence age 21 immigrated in 1904.

In 1930 census St. Louis, MO:
Lawrence age 29 born in Italy

so seems that is most probable that Lawrence born in 1901,(in 1910 and 1930 census) and are an Lawrence Sabatino in Missouri record that could be he:

Name: Lawrence Sabatino
SSN: 491-12-5256
Last Residence: 63026 Fenton, Saint Louis, Missouri, United States of America
Born: 9 Sep 1901
Died: Jun 1977
State (Year) SSN issued: Missouri (Before 1951 )

--------------------------
the other thought is about year immigration: in 1910 born in Louisiana, in 1920 and 1930 born in Italy, always immigrated in 1904.. this means that was an child of 2/3 old if really immigrated... the immigration record of Lawrence is very important, why in 1904 sure are listed also birthplace...

--------------------------
more:
I found an interesting record about New Orleans census 1900: are listed:
an CARMELO SABATINO age 39 in 1900, born in Italy in sept. 1860, single, immigrated in 1892... living with other italians, all with no family in USA:
Name: Carmel Sabatine
Home in 1900: Police Jury Ward 5, Lafourche, Louisiana
Estimated birth year: 1861
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Immigration year: 1892
Image source: Year: 1900; Census Place: Police Jury Ward 5, Lafourche, Louisiana; Roll: T623 567; Page: 17A; Enumeration District: 29.

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/481/ ... 9001fa.jpg

why this is the only person just for birthyear, will be very interesting the suggestions of other members here, about this Carmelo................suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by smithpa1 »

According to Lawrence Sabatino's (spelling they wound up using), Social Security application, which I sent for, he was born in Italy, Sept. 7, 1900. Other census records have different information. Found that to be true of other family members I am researching.

Regarding the Carmelo woman, to my knowledge, no other Sabatino family members came from Italy but Lorenzo and Josephine. He was my great grandfather. I found a death notice for Pearl Sabatino (my grandmother) (nickname for Paulina) in 1931, which is when she died, apparently at 24, not 28, if she was born in 1907. She was listed with her maiden name, not her married name. I will go to archives and try to get any copies of documents I can.

I do appreciate all the help you have given me. I am very grateful.

Thanks again
Paula
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Paula, about Lawrence born in 1900 or 1901, is very important to find the ship's manifest for to descover the birthplace..

about Carmelo in my previous message, no woman, but man, I read: M= male gender on census... was an use of italians to change the first name in foreign country, and could be that the Lawrence born in 1860, really no Lawrence/Lorenzo just name... just an suggestion.... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
smithpa1
Rookie
Rookie

Post by smithpa1 »

Will try to check this out. Again thanks for your help.

Paula