1850 village road maps

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
Repetto

1850 village road maps

Post by Repetto »

I have my great grandfathers birth certificate and on it is the address road he was born. I have tried the local office and the museum but have had very little success. The main city is Genoa in Liguria the village is Camogli. Will I have better luck searching in Genoa, if so where would you suggest I start.

Thanks
Ian
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: 1850 village road maps

Post by Tessa78 »

Repetto wrote:I have my great grandfathers birth certificate and on it is the address road he was born. I have tried the local office and the museum but have had very little success. The main city is Genoa in Liguria the village is Camogli. Will I have better luck searching in Genoa, if so where would you suggest I start.

Thanks
Ian
Hello Ian,

What do you mean when you say you have tried the local office and museum?

Here is a link to the Village of Camogli, which is a small Italian fishing village and resort town. You could fax, email, or write to the town office and ask about the particular street/address. They should be able to locate it for you, or tell you if it has been renamed (which is very common) :-)

Here is the email address of the Civil Records office
demografici@comune.camogli.ge.it

Here is a link to the town website
http://halleyweb.com/c010007/hh/index.php?jvs=0&acc=1

Here is a current map of the city of Camogli
http://www.prolococamogli.it/stampi/map_buona.jpg

Have you also tried viewing the google map of the city, and enlarging it?
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=fir ... CCoQ8gEwAA

T.
Repetto

Post by Repetto »

Thank you Tessa for the information. I have traced my Great Grand fathers mother and father and a lot of new relatives in Camogli. I have been visiting Camogli twice a year and stayed with the Repetto Family. I am going back in September. I have acquired my GGF birth certificate and the road he was born does not exist because they change a lot of the roads approx every 100yrs so I have been told. One of the relatives I am in contact with has a relative in the Civil Records Office who obtained the birth certificate of my GGF and his parents marriage certificate but has been having problems locating the 1850 map. Also Il Museo Marinaro Director Bruno is a good friend and there is only a poor quality map of approx. 1850 on the wall. So I was thinking that there must be somewhere in the main city ( Genoa ) where historical maps are kept. Regards Ian
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

The Archivio di Stato di Genova has put onlin several ancient maps, at this link:

http://asgenova.hdue.it/AriannaWeb/main ... 3_archivio

I had a look and could not find anything about Camogli, but it's worth a little time
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
iolanda2
Veteran
Veteran

Post by iolanda2 »

I had luck using google maps for locations in Emilia-Romagna, in one case I actually saw the old home still standing
Repetto

Post by Repetto »

PippoM wrote:The Archivio di Stato di Genova has put onlin several ancient maps, at this link:

http://asgenova.hdue.it/AriannaWeb/main ... 3_archivio

I had a look and could not find anything about Camogli, but it's worth a little time
Many thanks, The Archivio di Stato di Genova,I have asked my cousin to check for me and they are open in the morning, but he couldn't find any info about whether we could photocopy documents or the cost of information we want to retain.
I will be in Camogli on the 5th September for 2 weeks so I will go to Genoa and see what I can find. I am also looking forward to visiting the little mountain village where my GGG Grandmother was born.
Will report what I find out about places like The Archivio di Stato di Genova when I get back and hope it will be helpful to others.

Regards

Ian
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You never mentioned the name of the street in Camogli nor the name of your GGGgrandmother. I reviewed my book catalogue for local histories of Liguria and came across the old town of luni and massa by Luni as well as legends of different locales and names of personages in the arts.Perhaps an antiquarian book dealer in that area in Liguria where your going may have a book containing the street maps of Camogli. The bookstore nearest is in Genova is called Il libro di dallevalle,Via Geirato110, (tel(010)8356581 and his e-mail is illibro@illibro 191.it (fax0108356865).This information was published in 2008. Peter
~Peter~