Dual citizenship possible?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Italian7081

Dual citizenship possible?

Post by Italian7081 »

My great grand parents both came from Italy (separate times). Around 1911 and 1921. My grand mother was born in the US. My grandmother wasn't a US citizen. We are looking to see if my grandfather was or not when my grandmother was born. If he wasn't a US citizen when my grandmother was born, would Italian citizenship be passed from my grandmother (born 1929), to my mother (born 1951 in US), then to me?

Thanks for a great forum, glad I found it!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual citizenship possible?

Post by mler »

I think you mean great grandparents.

If your great grandfather was still an Italian citizen when your grandmother was born in the US, she obtained Italian citizenship from him. She would have passed that citizenship to your mother, who would have passed it to you. The naturalization date is critical here.
Italian7081

Post by Italian7081 »

Correct. My mistake.

How do I find this info out? When GGF became naturalized?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I never really had to do a search, so I can't provide much guidance. You might want to try beginning a new thread with your great grandfather's name and tentative dates. Someone here may be able to help.
Italian7081

Post by Italian7081 »

People on here have access to that stuff? That would be great.
Italia1963
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Italia1963 »

I'm confused why you say your grandmother was born in the US, but was not a US citizen? Under American law, anyone born on US soil is a entitled to American citizenship, regardless of the citizenship of the parents.

If your great grandparents lived in New York State, you would contact the County Clerk in the county they resided to request a search of naturalization records in the state Supreme Court. You will also need to contact the National Archives and the Dept. of Homeland Security to search their naturalization records.

But before you do that, you may want to check all the census records available that lists if a person was a citizen or naturalized (although sometimes the clerk wrote down the wrong information). In your great grandparents were alive during the 1940s, you can check to see if their is an Alien Registration form which is proof if they remained aliens.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I think he miswrote. His gm was born in he US and was a US citizen. It was his ggm who was born in Italy and not a US citizen.
Italian7081

Post by Italian7081 »

mler wrote:I think he miswrote. His gm was born in he US and was a US citizen. It was his ggm who was born in Italy and not a US citizen.
Correct :D

Both ggm and ggf were born in Italy.
Holly

Post by Holly »

Italian7081 wrote: 18 Aug 2013, 01:08 My great grand parents both came from Italy (separate times). Around 1911 and 1921. My grand mother was born in the US. My grandmother wasn't a US citizen. We are looking to see if my grandfather was or not when my grandmother was born. If he wasn't a US citizen when my grandmother was born, would Italian citizenship be passed from my grandmother (born 1929), to my mother (born 1951 in US), then to me?

Thanks for a great forum, glad I found it!
Italian7081- I know this post is many years old, but did you ever obtain Italian citizenship? I have a similar situation and I do not want to contact Luigi Paiano and waste his time if there is no hope for me.

If anyone else has any helpful insight or guidance, it would be much appreciated.

Here's my timeline:
1905- GGM (Italian citizen), as a child, comes to US from Italy with her Mother. Her Father was already here. GGM nor her parents ever naturalized as far as records show.

1913- GGF (Italian citizen born in Germany), at age 17, comes to US from Italy with his Father (his Mother joined them 4 years later). His parents never naturalized.

4/3/1921- GGM and GGF marry.

4/12/1921- GGF naturalizes less than 2 weeks after marrying GGM. GGM may possibly be considered a US citizen now by marriage even though marriage occurred before naturalization? But seems a 1948 case could preserve her Italian citizenship, or maybe does not need to be preserved since GGF was still an Italian citizen at the time of the marriage?

1923- My grandpa (who is now deceased) is born in US, and therefore US citizen due to birth here, not to mention his Father's naturalization.

1956- My Father is born in US

1977- I am born in US.

From everything I have been reading on these forums, as well as my other research, it seems that my only hope of being able to obtain my Italian citizenship is through GGM since she never naturalized. But my grandfather being born before 1948 seems to be a huge problem.

Does anyone else have or know of a similar fact pattern that resulted in successful attainment of Italian citizenship?