help with English to Italian translation, please?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rpucci

help with English to Italian translation, please?

Post by rpucci »

Using an on-line translator, I have written a response to a letter that I have received from Italy. I don't expect it to be perfect, but if anyone could please read it to see if there are any major errors (or something rude or improper), I would appreciate your help!! Thank you very much!

Caro Sig. Ottavio Pucci,

Che la sorpresa meravigliosa di ricevere la sua lettera!

Ho inviato delle lettere a tre persone in Lamezia Terme (Pucci, Gaetano; Pucci, Cristina; Pucci, Maria) e Maida (Pucci, Leonardo), che ho trovato nelle pagine bianche. Ho ricevuto una risposta solo da lei. Grazie!!

Ringraziarla molto per trovare alcune informazioni riguardante mio nonno. Egli e mia nonna è morta molti anni prima che ero nato, e non ho avuto il piacere di li sa. Hanno avuto sette bambini, il più giovane di cui era mio padre, Frank. Tutti i bambini erano nati negli Stati Uniti, eccetto il mio Zio Nicola, che era anche nato in Nicastro in 1912. Anche mio padre è ora morto da 15 anni, ed i miei fratelli e proviamo di trovare delle informazioni dei nostri antenati da Italia.

Il mio nome del nonno era Mose Pucci, sebbene dopo negli Stati Uniti, ha usato il Frank di nome, invece. Ha sposato mia nonna, Sacco Rosa in Nicastro, 24 giugno 1911. Dal manifesto di nave quando mia nonna è arrivata in New York in 1914, so che il suo nome del padre era Domenico. Poiché il loro secondo nato era anche nominato Domenico, ed il loro primo nato era nominato Nicola, sembra possibile che mio padre del nonno era anche nominato Nicola? Penso che sarebbe molto utile per vedere il certificato di matrimonio per i miei nonni. Forse includerebbe delle ulteriori informazioni delle loro famiglie.

Anche, sappiamo che mio nonno ha avuto un fratellastro (o il cugino?) nominato Gaetano, Bruno che era nato in Nicastro 28 luglio 1911, ed anche emigrato agli Stati Uniti. Sappiamo che mio nonno era da Nicastro, ma anche Pucci Mose della stessa età da Maida ha viaggiato anche agli Stati Uniti intorno allo stesso tempo col suo Leonardo di padre. È possibile che questo è mio nonno, o un'altra persona con lo stesso nome?

Sarei estremamente grato per qualunque informazioni che lei può trovare dei miei nonni, soprattutto il loro certificato di matrimonio. Anche, sarò felice di rimborsarla per il suo tempo e qualunque spese che lei incorre. Per favore dirmi i costi, in modo che posso ripagarla.

Poiché non parlo l'italiano, chiedo scusa per la mia scrittura di italiano povera. Uso un servizio di traduzione di computer. Se lei può conversare in inglese, ciò è il migliore. Il mio indirizzo email è:

Attenderò ansiosamente una risposta da lei.
Ringraziarla molto, molto!

Pucci, Richard
15 agosto 2009
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: help with English to Italian translation, please?

Post by elba »

Not knowing what you 'meant/wanted' to write makes it difficult to know just how much of a mess the electronic translator has made of your intentions.

A quick way to cross check what 'it' has done to your words is to reverse >< translate... put what the translator has given you and translate it back to English. I just did this with your paragraph beginning"Il mio nome e...". The result is below. Did you really want to say that? Bet you didn't!!! It can't recognise names either - that's why your poor grandmother has become Bag Rose - becuase it doesn't recognise Sacco as a name so translates it 'literally'.

Electronic translators are notoriously unreliable and I'm sure they will be the cause of WW3 some time soon!!!! If you have a letter you would like translated there are a number of people on IG who will do it for you and I'm one of them - but remember we often have to make our living doing this too - so if it is a long translation or there are lots of them to do, then best send a Private Message first. I'm sure that something will be able to worked out. But for a one off like this you will almost certainly get it done if you just post it here... (after you've stopped laughing that is.... :roll: )

Il mio nome del nonno era Mose Pucci, sebbene dopo negli Stati Uniti, ha usato il Frank di nome, invece. Ha sposato mia nonna, Sacco Rosa in Nicastro, 24 giugno 1911. Dal manifesto di nave quando mia nonna è arrivata in New York in 1914, so che il suo nome del padre era Domenico. Poiché il loro secondo nato era anche nominato Domenico, ed il loro primo nato era nominato Nicola, sembra possibile che mio padre del nonno era anche nominato Nicola? Penso che sarebbe molto utile per vedere il certificato di matrimonio per i miei nonni. Forse includerebbe delle ulteriori informazioni delle loro famiglie.
>< Reverse electronic translation
My name of the grandfather was Mose Pucci, although after in the United States, has used the Frank of name, instead. It has married my grandmother, Bag Rose in Nicastro, 24 june 1911. From The Manifest of ship when my grandmother has arrived in New York in 1914, I know that its name of the father was Domenico. Since their according to born also was name Domenico, and their first born was name Nicholas, seems possible that my father of the grandfather also was name Nicholas? Task that would be much profit in order to see the marriage certificate for my grandfathers. Perhaps it would include of the ulterior information of their families.
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
rpucci

Post by rpucci »

Thank you, Elba!
I have found someone locally to translate these documents for me....
artpucci

Post by artpucci »

My Grand parents were Rosa (Sacco) and Frank (Franko) Pucci. The ship manifest lists Mose also. Settled in Wellsville Ohio. Son Nickola (Nick) was 2 years old when Rosa (Rose)brought him to the US:

First Name:Nicola/Pucci son of Rosa
Last Name:Sacco
Ethnicity:Italy, Italian
Last Place of Residence:Nicasfro, Italy
Date of Arrival:May 15, 1914
Age at Arrival: 2y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel:Caserta
Port of Departure:Naples