Translation Help Please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Translation Help Please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Could someone please help with the following Death Act for Nicola Mario Toscano Index 1 by confirming date of death, town and street name and correct or add anything important that I may have missed. Thank you.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n400177715

DEATH RECORD INDEX NO 1 PART 2 – NICOLA MARIO TOSCANO

1906 – 3 JANUARY AT 10.30 A.M. I had 4 January initially but now I see “l’altro” so I’m wondering? (Ieri (yesterday) l’altro (other?) so the day before yesterday???)
TOWN OF DEATH?:
STREET:
BORN: SAPONARA DI GRUMENTO
FATHER: DECEASED FRANCESCO PAOLO TOSCANO, LAND OWNER
MOTHER: CATERINA LAURIA, LAND OWNER
HUSBAND OF CATERINA DE MILITA

Thank you, Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation Help Please

Post by Tessa78 »

Your link is not working :-(

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Tessa78 wrote:Your link is not working :-(

T.
No it isn't is it! I'm not sure what the problem is. I've noticed that none of my links to Family Search seem to be working now? I'm sure there is a logical explanation. Thank you for trying Tessa.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Could someone please help with the following Death Act for Nicola Mario Toscano Index 1 by confirming date of death, town and street name and correct or add anything important that I may have missed. Thank you.

1906 – Dated 5JANUARY AT 10.45 A.M. I had 4 January initially but now I see “l’altro” so I’m wondering? (Ieri (yesterday) l’altro (other?) so the day before yesterday???) Died on the 3rd at 10:30 AM ...
TOWN OF DEATH?: same
STREET: Contrada Figo(?) S. Giuliano

Thank you, Angela
Nice job! :-)

(Must have been the site, because the link is working now :-) )

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Tessa78 wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:Could someone please help with the following Death Act for Nicola Mario Toscano Index 1 by confirming date of death, town and street name and correct or add anything important that I may have missed. Thank you.

1906 – Dated 5JANUARY AT 10.45 A.M. I had 4 January initially but now I see “l’altro” so I’m wondering? (Ieri (yesterday) l’altro (other?) so the day before yesterday???) Died on the 3rd at 10:30 AM ...
TOWN OF DEATH?: same
STREET: Contrada Figo(?) S. Giuliano

Thank you, Angela
Nice job! :-)

(Must have been the site, because the link is working now :-) )

T.
Awesome Tessa, thank you so much for doing this. ( It is very reassuring to have these non-form type records checked over by a pro like yourself and thank you so much for the encouragement too.) :D

I’m not understanding which town he died in – was it Saponara di Grumento or was it a town called San Giuliano? :? There is a street in Grumento Nova called San Giuliano but I think there might also be a commune or two elsewhere in Italy called San Giuliano. I just need some clarification on this please. Thank you.

I am so relieved all my links are working again now. :D I agree re the site - they possibly had a bug there?

Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The word Contrada (before the S. Giuliano) means district or land, but it is usually relatively near the comune. That is all the clarification I can provide. Roads, streets, etc., may have changed names since that time, unfortunately.

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Tessa78 wrote:The word Contrada (before the S. Giuliano) means district or land, but it is usually relatively near the comune. That is all the clarification I can provide. Roads, streets, etc., may have changed names since that time, unfortunately.

T.
Oh I see! (I've just twigged.) I was taking the word "Contrada" to mean street not district so that's where I'm getting muddled. :oops: Thank you for explaining this.

Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

"Contrada" was also meant as a hamlet out of main village, and it often consisted of a few houses along a street. So "contrada" can substantially be the same as "street". I noticed that in various towns what were called "contrada"s in 1800 are now streets in the village/town (maybe they grew since then, and incorporated the hamlet).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote:"Contrada" was also meant as a hamlet out of main village, and it often consisted of a few houses along a street. So "contrada" can substantially be the same as "street". I noticed that in various towns what were called "contrada"s in 1800 are now streets in the village/town (maybe they grew since then, and incorporated the hamlet).
Pippo, thank you for this additional information, this is very helpful.

I was thinking about the word "Contrada" after my last post here and thinking how the word “strada” (not sure of the correct spelling?) which my parents used when referring to “street” seemed to relate. Does that make sense? I think the word “strada” might be a dialect word for street because I can’t seem to find it in my dictionary.

Angela
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

"Strada" in an Italian word, you will find it in Google Translator, too. But when dealing with an address the word usually used is "via".
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote:"Strada" in an Italian word, you will find it in Google Translator, too. But when dealing with an address the word usually used is "via".
I understand. Thank you very much once again.

Angela