Ship manifest for Guiseppe Macaldi (Giuseppe Moccaldi)

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PippoM
Master
Master

Ship manifest for Guiseppe Macaldi (Giuseppe Moccaldi)

Post by PippoM »

I need help for reading the handwriting on the manifest for Guiseppe (and Pasquale, Carmela and Fiorigia) Macaldi on Ellis Island site (there is only one person with such name). The real name should be Giuseppe Moccaldi. I can't understand what is written in columns "Nationality" and "Last residence". As there is no indication as to "final destination" nor "nearest relative", I suppose these people actually lived in USA (I mean they were no more considered immigrants). I also suppose Giuseppe's age might be 69, rather than 65. I would be very grateful if someone could help me. I'd also like to have some information about these people, if someone could look on USA censuses for me. Many thanks in advance.
Pippo M.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Ship manifest for Guiseppe Macaldi (Giuseppe Moccaldi)

Post by mfjp »

Hi Pippo,

It says American Citz (Citizen).... that is a "C"... does look like a "D"

There must be another manifest somewhere... :P maybe...

Have you looked for one??

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Ciao Pippo, forse ti può interessare... perchè comunque c'è anche un manifesto di un Giuseppe MOCCaldi
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2402030090
ciao, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

PippoM wrote:I need help for reading the handwriting on the manifest for Guiseppe (and Pasquale, Carmela and Fiorigia) Macaldi on Ellis Island site (there is only one person with such name). The real name should be Giuseppe Moccaldi. I can't understand what is written in columns "Nationality" and "Last residence". As there is no indication as to "final destination" nor "nearest relative", I suppose these people actually lived in USA (I mean they were no more considered immigrants). I also suppose Giuseppe's age might be 69, rather than 65. I would be very grateful if someone could help me. I'd also like to have some information about these people, if someone could look on USA censuses for me. Many thanks in advance.
Pippo M.
Dear Pippo,

Here is the manifest you are discussing.

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0246%2ETIF

They are all American Citizens. I know it looks like a "D", but look at the whole manifest and you can see how the handwriting is.

However, I did find a Pasquale in the 1920 and 1930 census. I know one of my dear friends on here will post these images for you. (thank you :) )

Name: Pasquale Moccaldi
Estimated birth year: abt 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Utica, Oneida, New York
Image: 364
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Utica, Oneida, New York; Roll: T625_1245; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 150; Image: 364.

Name: Pasquale Moccaldi
Estimated birth year: abt 1875
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1930: Utica, Oneida, New York
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Utica, Oneida, New York; Roll: 1621; Page: 6B; Enumeration District: 74; Image: 530.0.

I also found the following.

Giuseppe Moccaldi married to Nicoletta Ruggiero
Giuseppe Moccaldi (from Pagani) married to Vincenza Ferrara
Giuseppe Moccaldi (from Roma) married to Norma Cecconi

The more information you can provide us, the better we can help.

Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Just for the record...

First Name: Guiseppe
Last Name: Macaldi
Ethnicity:
Last Place of Residence:
Date of Arrival: September 16, 1908
Age at Arrival:  65y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  M  
Ship of Travel: Konigin Luise
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0012

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1829050239

Census records to come :!:

mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:From Trish

Pasquale's 1920 census

http://img290.imageshack.us/img290/4924/image18dw.gif

Pasquale's 1930 census

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9471/1930cen9md.jpg

mfjp
Hi Mfjp,

THANK YOU so much for posting my census records for me!!!!:)

hugs
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Thanks to all for your help.
Now, I have to tell something more, just to make clearer some questions I'm asking myself. My name is Giuseppe Moccaldi, too. My Gfather was Giuseppe Moccaldi, and my GGGfather Giuseppe Moccaldi (they are the three people of Trish's last information; it was me who put them on the web, but he couldn't know, of course...). My family, at that time, lived in Pagani and Nocera (near Salerno); so, the Giuseppe Suanj found is not related to me, at least not so strictly (he is from Campagna).
A family story tells that my GGGfather left his family and went to "America" (it is not known exactly where) where he grew a new family; this should have happened about 1870; it is also told that years later someone came to Italy (don't know if he or his sons), but their Italian relatives did not want to meet them. So, when I found the record of the travel of 1908, I supposed it could be the "famous" travel I was told about.
What I would like is finding where my GGGfather lived, his family, and his American descendants, if any. The ages of the people on Ellis Island seem quite right, so it might be them. On the other hand, on the web I have found no traces of other Giuseppe Moccaldi's in USA in last years of 19th century. I also looked at the images of censuses, and I found that Pasquale's wife's name (in 1920) is Mary, and first son Martin, born about 1897, while on Ellis Island site his wife's name (in 1908) is Carmela, and daughter Fiorigia, born about 1895; so I suppose the Pasquale's are two different persons. My questions is: are censuses published on the web complete? I mean, is it possible that there are censuses data about Pasquale and father Giuseppe not available on the web yet, that will be available in some time?
I suppose what I can do now is:
1) ask my grand-aunt Anna (88 years) to be more precise about the story, if she can;
2) find the birth dates of my GGGfather and his brothers/sisters at the "comune" or the church where they were baptized
Do you have any other hint?
I will be in New York for NYC marathon on November, and I will stay there for a week; do you think there's anything I can do, then?
Thank you very much.
Pippo
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hello Pippo:
the US censuses are most complete, only some transcription no most very well, but is an great and formidable source!
about this your search, is necessary to know the max aproximative birth year of your ancestor... when you say us: around 1870, sure you mean the first travel, and because you mentioned also the family, is most probable that giuseppe was married and with children, so around 30 year, and been born around 1840.... this my suggestions are right for you?

-well you can start the search in Pagani and Nocera or other birthplaces of Giuseppe( if you know), and ask in Ufficio Anagrafe an search in the birthregistries around birthyear probables, so you can know the exact birthdate, and this is an good starting point.

- also is possible that , always in Ufficio Anagrafe, are the SCHEDA ANAGRAFICA of an person, so also for Giuseppe; if are this Scheda you can see and to descover( in this Scheda) the exact year of emigration...

-here are the ship's manifest records from 1830 to 1912 http://castlegarden.org/ .... you can search; also I want search about your Giuseppe MOCCALDI coming from Pagani or Nocera ...best regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH