My family roots, Farabi, renzacci, blessant

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
blessant

My family roots, Farabi, renzacci, blessant

Post by blessant »

I have been reading a lot of emails and I can't believe the help from the masters. I have been trying to research my father's side of the family. The last name is Blessant and they came from Sparone, Canovesse. My great-grandfather was named Martin,, I believe and the story goes that he had 5 wifes and 23 children but only 18 reach maturity. I can't get any information on any of my ancestors because all of my grandparents came from the old country. My parents are 1st generation italians born in America. I sure could use help, someone to tell me where to go to find out more information. :D Thanks Cathy Estenson
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: My family roots, Farabi, renzacci, blessant

Post by brujaojos »

blessant wrote:I have been reading a lot of emails and I can't believe the help from the masters. I have been trying to research my father's side of the family. The last name is Blessant and they came from Sparone, Canovesse. My great-grandfather was named Martin,, I believe and the story goes that he had 5 wifes and 23 children but only 18 reach maturity. I can't get any information on any of my ancestors because all of my grandparents came from the old country. My parents are 1st generation italians born in America. I sure could use help, someone to tell me where to go to find out more information. :D Thanks Cathy Estenson
Dear Cathy,

Can you give us some more information on your family such as what are your grandparents names? Do you know where they settled in the USA? Give us some of the names of the children they had.

I did find a Peter Blessant who had a child named Martin in the 1930 Census. He could be related especially if he kept the naming pattern of naming his first born son after his father. (I know one of my dear friends in the group will post this census for you {thank you :)} )

Name: Martin Blessant
Estimated birth year: abt 1928
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Peter Blessant
Mother's Name: Pauline Blessant
Home in 1930: Stonington, Christian, Illinois
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Stonington, Christian, Illinois; Roll: 411; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 32; Image: 340.0.

Here is a Martin Blessant in the 1910 census. He was born in 1869. He was a boarder working in the mines.

Age in 1910: 41
Estimated birth year: abt 1869
Home in 1910: Adams Twp, Houghton, Michigan
Race: White
Series: T624
Roll: 646
Part: 1
Page: 147A
Year: 1910

I also have this Martin in the 1920 census with a wife, Mary and 2 children. This Martin was born about

Name: Martin Blessent
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1920: Goode, Franklin, Illinois
Image: 197
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Goode, Franklin, Illinois; Roll: T625_365; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 40; Image: 197.

So as you can see, you need to give us more specific information so that we can help you better.

Have a good one.
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

blessant wrote:I have been reading a lot of emails and I can't believe the help from the masters. I have been trying to research my father's side of the family. The last name is Blessant and they came from Sparone, Canovesse. My great-grandfather was named Martin,, I believe and the story goes that he had 5 wifes and 23 children but only 18 reach maturity. I can't get any information on any of my ancestors because all of my grandparents came from the old country. My parents are 1st generation italians born in America. I sure could use help, someone to tell me where to go to find out more information. :D Thanks Cathy Estenson
Dear Cathy,

Can you give us some more information on your family such as what are your grandparents names? Do you know where they settled in the USA? Give us some of the names of the children they had.

I did find a Peter Blessant who had a child named Martin in the 1930 Census. He could be related especially if he kept the naming pattern of naming his first born son after his father. (I know one of my dear friends in the group will post this census for you {thank you :)} )

Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Stonington, Christian, Illinois; Roll: 411; Page: 10B; Enumeration District: 32; Image: 340.0.

Here is a Martin Blessant in the 1910 census. He was born in 1869. He was a boarder working in the mines.

I also have this Martin in the 1920 census with a wife, Mary and 2 children. This Martin was born about

Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: Goode, Franklin, Illinois; Roll: T625_365; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 40; Image: 197.

So as you can see, you need to give us more specific information so that we can help you better.

Have a good one.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:
Dear Cathy,

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/9222/image2ic.jpg
---------------------------

http://img277.imageshack.us/img277/7075/image17vu.gif
-----------------

http://img377.imageshack.us/img377/3300/image29qo.gif
-----------------------------------------

Have a good one.
Trish
Links now included...
mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote: Links now included...
mfjp
Thank you Mfjp!!!!:) :) :) I appreciate you always posting my census records for me!:)

hugs
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: an Martin Blessent (exact italian spelling) in 1930 census of Kansas:
Name: Martin Bleasent (Blessent)
Estimated birth year: abt 1919
Father's Name: Dominic Bleasent (Blessent)
Mother's Name: Bertha Bleasent (ditto)
Home in 1930: Washington, Crawford, Kansas
living with siblings as you can read:

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/4300/m ... sas3kd.jpg
-------------------

But in kansas was already born others Blessent, in same town of THIS Martin; in fact you can see that was other Blessent:
Name: John Blessant
Estimated birth year: abt 1872
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Katherine Blessant
Home in 1930: Washington, Crawford, Kansas
see please
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/9374/j ... ----------
some suggestions?
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
blessant

Post by blessant »

suanj wrote:
blessant wrote:I have been reading a lot of emails and I can't believe the help from the masters. I have been trying to research my father's side of the family. The last name is Blessant and they came from Sparone, Canovesse. My great-grandfather was named Martin,, I believe and the story goes that he had 5 wifes and 23 children but only 18 reach maturity. I can't get any information on any of my ancestors because all of my grandparents came from the old country. My parents are 1st generation italians born in America. I sure could use help, someone to tell me where to go to find out more information. D Thanks Cathy Estenson
Hi an Martin Blessent (exact italian spelling) in 1930 census of Kansas
Name Martin Bleasent (Blessent)
Age 11
Estimated birth year abt 1919
Relation to head-of-house Son
Father's Name Dominic Bleasent (Blessent)
Mother's Name Bertha Bleasent (ditto)
Home in 1930 Washington, Crawford, Kansas
living with siblings as you can read

http//img12.imageshack.us/img12/4300/martinblessent1930kansas3kd.jpg
-------------------

But in kansas was already born others Blessent, in same town of THIS Martin; in fact you can see that was other Blessent
Name John Blessant
Age 58
Estimated birth year abt 1872
Birthplace Italy
Relation to head-of-house Head
Spouse's Name Katherine Blessant
Race White
Home in 1930 Washington, Crawford, Kansas
see please
http//img12.imageshack.us/img12/9374/johnblessent1930kansas9pc.jpg----------
some suggestions?
regards, suanj
My grandparents are the John and Catterina Blessant. The Martin that you are referring to is my father's first cousin. His mother Bertha is my grandmother's sister and his father Dom is my father's half-brother. All of my grandparent's came from Italy. The Blessant (Blessent) side came from Sparone and the story goes that my grandfather Martin was married 5 times and had 23 children, 18 of whom reached adulthood. I have been researching the Blessant's here in America for some 20 years and have found around 100 and all the original members of the family that came from Italy all came from Sparone. This is my problem, I can't link any of them. I can't find any information on my Great-grandfather, or rather I don't know where to look. That is the help that I need, information from Italy. My grandmother came from Turin, my other grandfather came from Gualdo Todino and I can't remember where my grandmother came from but I have not started to research them. Actually, I still have cousins on the Farabi side in Italy. My uncle Pietro didn't come here to America and he had three children whom we correspond with. They are from the central part of Italy and my father's side is from the Northern part. I hope this information will help. Thanks for all of your help. Cathy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Yes I understand now, however I found an Catterina(Caterina) Blessent from Sparone that joining Martino husband in Moreci(?).. Arizona...in 1899 http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3226020018
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
blessant

Post by blessant »

suanj wrote:Yes I understand now, however I found an Catterina(Caterina) Blessent from Sparone that joining Martino husband in Moreci(?).. Arizona...in 1899 http//ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?pID=603226020018
suanj
I do not know who those people are. Here is the problem, if my great-grandfather had 18 children and most of them came here, which all the Blessant (Blessent) people that I have found came from Sparone, not knowing what the children's names were, except my grandfather John, my great-uncle Dom, my great-uncle Joe and a great-uncle named Jocco who did live here with his three girls and his wife but supposedly went back to Italy, I have no idea what the rest of the children's names were and not knowing I can't figure out where these other people I have found come into the picture. Are they just cousin's of my grandfathers? Or could they be brothers and sisters. The only way to find out is to get ahold of records in Italy and I don't know how to do that. Believe me, I have found and corresponded with at least 100 other Blessants (Blessents) in America and we still correspond but none of us can figure out the big picture. This is where I am stuck, not here but in Italy. Thanks Cathy
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

There are church records available from the LDS church for Sparone:

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... umns=*,0,0

They cover the years 1589- 1899. Perhaps you can find some answers here.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Dear Cathy,
Debbie provide you an very good source for italian record...
However, this is an resume and is an very good point of starting:
1. Martino BLESSENT
1.1 John(Giovanni) married to Caterina
1.2 Joe (Giuseppe)
1.3 Dom (Domenico)
1.4 Jocco (Rocco)
.. untill 1.18..
well I wish search with this new inputs... regards from Italy, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
blessant

Post by blessant »

suanj wrote:Dear Cathy,
Debbie provide you an very good source for italian record...
However, this is an resume and is an very good point of starting
1. Martino BLESSENT
1.1 John(Giovanni) married to Caterina
1.2 Joe (Giuseppe)
1.3 Dom (Domenico)
1.4 Jocco (Rocco)
.. untill 1.18..
well I wish search with this new inputs... regards from Italy, suanj
I want to thank all of you for the help. Maybe now I will get some answers to some long awaited questions. You are all so wonderful!!! Cathy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Cathy, from an first, but long search, referring Kansas as final destination
-I found only 1 Blessent person from Sparone that came in Kansas city:
Giacomo Blassent Sparone, Italy 1913 27
and joining Giacomo ROLANDO cousin in Kansas City;

- referring Martino first name, are an Martino Blessent final destination Michigan, but contact in Italy the MARTINO FATHER( equal first name).. http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 1519100079&

-referring the first Blessent, are the record in 2 Dec 1885 of an Giovanni Blessent born abt 1856 and Giacomo Blessent abt 1840, that come in USA, Canada ship, Boston port, final destination: Chicago;

- referring ROLANDO surname: the Blessent your ancestor that came in Kansas, most probable as already i say you, was in relationship with ROLANDO family; in fact in census 1920 of Kansas are:

Name: Felix Rolando
Estimated birth year: abt 1871
Home in 1920: Washington, Crawford, Kansas
wife Mary italian, Louis son also italian, Ettore and Oreste sons born in Kansas

as you can see is same town of your cousins..

regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Here is the problem, if my great-grandfather had 18 children and most of them came here, which all the Blessant (Blessent) people that I have found came from Sparone, not knowing what the children's names were, except my grandfather John, my great-uncle Dom, my great-uncle Joe and a great-uncle named Jocco
Hi There,

What you are going to have to do is start getting clues from all the records you can such as Ellis Island Manifests and see who these people are, who did they leave behind in Italy, and who they were going to go see. It will start helping you fill in the blanks.

Then you have to start narrowing down the census records. Those with a first born son named Martin would be a good clue as a person being related to your family.

Look at the Social Security Death Index for Blessant and try to get some Death Certificates.

Each document will have clues. Plus, like what was stated before, order the film and maybe you can find the Birth Acts of most of the children yourself.

Listed below are some clues from various sources.
Hope this helps,
Trish

Here are people coming through Ellis Island with the name Blessant all
coming from Sparone.

Name, Residence, Arrived, Age
Bl...sent,Francesca Maria Sparone, Italy 1919 25
Blassent,Giacomo Sparone, Italy 1913 27
Blesfant,Battista Sparone, Italy 1910 22
Blesseni,Giuseppe Sparone 1903 25
Blessens,Giovanni Sparone 1902 33
Blessent,Anna Sparone, Torino 1907 6
Blessent,Antonio Sparone 1899 40
Blessent,Fco. Sparone 1901 6
Blessent,Francesca Maria Sparone, Italy 1919 25
Blessent,Giacomo Sparone 1905 27
Blessent,Giacomo Sparone 1905 24
Blessent,Goro Sparone 1901 27
Blessent,James Sparone, Italy 1911 36
Blessent,Maria Lucia Sparone, Italy 1921 26
Blessent,Martino Sparone, Italy 1909 23
Blessent,Martino Sparone 1900 31
Blessent,PIetro Sparone, Italy 1909 18
Blessente,Federico Sparone, Italy 1922 41
Blessenti,Giovanna Sparone, Italy (U.S.) 1908 24
Blessenti,Pietro Sparone, Italy (U.S.) 1908 32
Blessert,Domenica Sparone, Torino 1907 4
Blessient,Catterina Sparone 1899 25
Blessient,Giacomo Sparone 1899 36

These are Blessant from the 1910 Census,

Name, State, Birth Year,
Bernie Blessant Morenci, Graham, AZ abt 1866
Joe Blessant Globe, Gila, AZ abt 1879
Martin Blessant Adams Twp, Houghton, MI abt 1869
James Blessent 6-Wd Globe, Gila, AZ abt 1865
James Blessent Greenfield Twp, Grundy, IL abt 1872
John Blessent Greenfield Twp, Grundy, IL abt 1869

People with the name Blessant in the SSDI.

Name, Birth Date, Death Date, Last Residence
Angelo P. Blessant 19 Jun 1910 30 Jan 2002 Aurora, Arapahoe, Colorado
Bertha Blessant 9 Mar 1902 Jul 1974 Pittsburg, Crawford, Kansas
Catterina Blessant 5 Jun 1889 Nov 1969 Arma, Crawford, Kansas
Dixie J. Blessant 20 Jun 1938 6 Sep 1999 Frontenac, Crawford, Kansas
Dominick Blessant 27 Apr 1893 Jan 1976 Pittsburg, Crawford, Kansas
John Blessant 12 Aug 1902 Feb 1980 Antioch, Lake, Illinois
K. M. Blessant 10 Oct 1948 15 Nov 2000 Ellsworth, Ellsworth, Kansas
Larry L. Blessant 29 May 1941 8 Jan 1993
Lewis Blessant Feb 1916 Jan 1945
Loretta Blessant 5 Feb 1919 4 Apr 2004 Girard, Crawford, Kansas
Mary Blessant 25 Feb 1907 May 1974 Antioch, Lake, Illinois
Mary L. Blessant 24 Nov 1909 29 Mar 1999 Pittsburg, Crawford, Kansas
Raymond C. Blessant 19 Oct 1927 15 Jan 1999 Pittsburg, Crawford, Kansas
William J. Blessant 21 Feb 1934 16 Feb 2002 Pittsburg, Crawford, Kansas
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
blessant

Post by blessant »

suanj wrote:Hi Cathy, from an first, but long search, referring Kansas as final destination
-I found only 1 Blessent person from Sparone that came in Kansas city
Giacomo Blassent Sparone, Italy 1913 27
and joining Giacomo ROLANDO cousin in Kansas City;

- referring Martino first name, are an Martino Blessent final destination Michigan, but contact in Italy the MARTINO FATHER( equal first name).. http//ellisisland.org/search/shipManifest.asp?order_num=913691740&MID=06831962910267055616&order_num=913691740&ORDER_ID=1500290253&LNM=BLESSENT&PLNM=BLESSENT&RF=30&pID=101519100079&

-referring the first Blessent, are the record in 2 Dec 1885 of an Giovanni Blessent born abt 1856 and Giovanni Blessent abt 1840, that come in USA, Canada ship, Boston port, final destination Chicago;

- referring ROLANDO surname the Blessent your ancestor that came in Kansas, most probable as already i say you, was in relationship with ROLANDO family; in fact in census 1920 of Kansas are

Name Felix Rolando
Age 49 years
Estimated birth year abt 1871
Birthplace Italy
Race White
Home in 1920 Washington, Crawford, Kansas
wife Mary italian, Louis son also italian, Ettore and Oreste sons born in Kansas

as you can see is same town of your cousins..

regards, suanj
I have never heard of the people that you speak of. My grandfather came into Ellis Island I believe. The martino in Italy could be my greatgrandfather, but I have never heard of a rolando. My grandfather was named Giovanni (John) but settled here in Pittsburg, actually first he settled in a little town named Chicopee I believe. You know, the old timers never talked of where they came from, they were starting over in America and this was their country. I have a copy of my grandfathers naturalization papers and he was naturalized in Cherokee County, Kansas. This is all so confusing. I thank you for all of your help. Cathy