Sicilian age for women to marry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ray1955
Elite
Elite

Sicilian age for women to marry

Post by ray1955 »

I just found a record where a 23 year old man married 15 year old young lady he was a peasant farmer
Contadino and she was a spinner.

Was curious if they would marry that young they are the only ones I found that young.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian age for women to marry

Post by adelfio »

That why they had marriage banns before they got married in case someone opposed of the marriage
I have seen 14 in Trabia but there was one time I translated a birth with the father being 81 and the mother 22
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Primo Mattino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Primo Mattino »

The youngest spouse I found had 11 years
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dominique426 »

Primo Mattino wrote:The youngest spouse I found had 11 years
Wow... 11! I can never ever imagine being a wife at such an age. :shock:

What year did the marriage take place?

I know that before a girl could be married her parents would want her to begin menstruating first, but I've experienced a lot in my own family (even here in the USA) and read a lot about arranged marriages. The girl would be betrothed (set into an agreement made by her father to marry a boy usually for a "price" such as cattle, etc) then when she "matured" or became older, they would become married. The earliest I've seen of these arranged marriages was 12 and a half. I know with the arranged marriages or younger brides (signs of a betrothal) that they usually wedded a man twice her age.
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli