Book Translation - Michele Lavaca

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Felitti-Trimarco
Rookie
Rookie

Book Translation - Michele Lavaca

Post by Felitti-Trimarco »

I found the following book on books.google.com:

Cronistoria documentata della rivoluzione in Basilicata del 1860 e delle ... edited by Michele Lacava

Does anyone out there know if there is an English translation? I couldn't find one anywhere. I think I found two of my relatives in one of the militias.

Many thanks for your help and consideration!

- FT

PS. What is the translation of the title?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Book Translation - Michele Lavaca

Post by maestra36 »

I believe the translation of the title is Documented Chronicle of the 1860 Revolution in Basilicata and of the Conspiracies Which Preceded It
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I did find a website dedicated to the editor, Michele Lacava, but it is completely in Italian, which I gather you are unable to read. I do not see an English translation of his book anywhere on the Internet. Sorry.

http://michelelacava.interfree.it/
boscodesc

Post by boscodesc »

Did anyone ever find an English translation of this book, or even just portions of it? I am also keenly interested in this, as it seems to be the sole (online) reference with many hundreds of names of who fought in which Basilicata town. If this was only names of who fought with Garibaldi, it seems like more than 1,000?? Can't tell if it's also naming those who became brigands after being disaffected of Garibaldi?? It also appears to give details I've found nowhere else on where/when the fighting was within Basilicata, but can't tell for sure.

This seems an invaluable reference for the thousands of living Basilicata descendants who want more on what their ancestors were up to in this immensely confusing period. The maddening thing is I can't tell who is fighting on what side or what it all means. Perhaps an Italian speaker could give us a summary of what the book is really about?

Valerie at vneutralzone@gmail.com