Lucia Picchi birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Lucia Picchi birth record

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Hi,
I've found the birth record of my 2x-great-grandmother's sister, Lucia.
My 2x-great-grandmother Elena Libania Picchi was born in 1858 so her birth record isn't available on familysearch.org, but her youngest sister is.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1201321375
Lucia's father was Pietro.
The record seems to confirm the name Pietro as the father, but also mentions a Giuseppe (a name I do not recognise in the family).
I also see the age 66 after Giuseppe's name, but I'm struggling with the rest of the record.
I'm wondering if anyone can provide a translation of the record?
I'm particularly interested in:
- who Giuseppe is and how he is related?
- how old Pietro was in 1867 when Lucia was born?
Thank you very much in advance,
Michael
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Lucia Picchi birth record

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Hi,
Through pure luck, I believe I've also located Pietro's death record:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1264953123
The names that I can make out seem to match, although I'm unsure of the relationships.
Regards,
Michael
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

m11oct wrote:Hi,
Through pure luck, I believe I've also located Pietro's death record:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1264953123
The names that I can make out seem to match, although I'm unsure of the relationships.
Regards,
Michael

The death record recorded in the town is based on a translation and transcription of the death record which originated from a secular priest of Azevedo Araujo e Gama (I don't know if this refers to the name of the diocese or not) concerning the death in the parish of St Maria di Marica, Rio di Janeiro, South America. Pietro of Giuseppe died in Ponta Negra (which I see is located in Marica-which appears to be a section of Rio) from a fever on May 15, 1869 and is buried in the cemetery of this parish. He was white, married, and Italian. His age is given as "trenta e tanti anni di eta" (30 and so many years of age-so I guess this is supposed an estimate, as his exact age was not known). That's the only important info that I see in the record.

His mother and wife are not named in the record.

Erudita
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Hi,
Thank you very much for the info.
Can you please help me to interpret the birth record I posted in the first message for Pietro's daughter?
Regards
Michael
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I've found the birth record of my 2x-great-grandmother's sister, Lucia.
My 2x-great-grandmother Elena Libania Picchi was born in 1858 so her birth record isn't available on familysearch.org, but her youngest sister is.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1201321375
Lucia's father was Pietro.
The record seems to confirm the name Pietro as the father, but also mentions a Giuseppe (a name I do not recognise in the family).
I also see the age 66 after Giuseppe's name, but I'm struggling with the rest of the record.
I'm wondering if anyone can provide a translation of the record?
I'm particularly interested in:
- who Giuseppe is and how he is related?
- how old Pietro was in 1867 when Lucia was born?
Michael

This record is very complicated because there are so many names in it.

The record is dated on Oct 29, 1867 at 1 P.M. at the town hall of Borgo, but the birth of Lucia Picchi had taken place on Oct 24, 1867 at 9 P.M. in the house in Diecimo (frazione or hamlet of Borgo at the Piastrone-I think this is a section of the hamlet). Appearing at the town hall was Giuseppe Picchi, the son of Pietro Picchi, age 66, a farmer living in Diecimo. He reported that Lucia Picchi was born to Adelina Luvisi, the daughter of deceased Michele Luvisi and Marianna Honjo (the daughter of deceased Martino Honjo) and to Adelina's husband, Pietro Picchi, the son of Giuseppe Picchi and deceased Lucia Cicchi. Adelina's age is given as 31 in the record, but there is no age given for her husband, Pietro Picchi.

The infant was not physically presented at the town hall due to the distance from the place of its birth in Diecimo, but the town official had appointed an individual, whose name is also given in the record, to attest to the veracity of the birth.

The informant, Giuseppe Picchi, who appeared at the town hall also stated that the father was not himself making the declaration, as he was absent.

I hope I have it all correct. The relationship of the informant, Giuseppe Picchi, to the infant's father is not stated in the record, but I think it is safe to assume that he was the infant's grandfather and that the infant's father, Pietro Picchi, had been named for his paternal grandfather, Giuseppe Picchi's father, also a Pietro Picchi.

Erudita
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Erudita,

Thank you again for your help with these documents. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with these. I am very grateful.

I had heard second-hand a family legend that suggested that Pietro had left Italy and moved away, possibly to France, but nobody knew when, where or why. Now, I know when and where, but I suspect the answer to why will be the most interesting. There has been suggestion that he committed a crime or had an affair, but these are just rumours.

Regards,
Michael
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

m11oct wrote:Erudita,

Thank you again for your help with these documents. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help with these. I am very grateful.

I had heard second-hand a family legend that suggested that Pietro had left Italy and moved away, possibly to France, but nobody knew when, where or why. Now, I know when and where, but I suspect the answer to why will be the most interesting. There has been suggestion that he committed a crime or had an affair, but these are just rumours.

Regards,
Michael
You're very welcome. You did get a lot of info from both records.

Erudita
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Hi,

I have found another record for Pietro's death, which appears in the "Allegati" section of the records and seems to be a lot easier to read.

I was wondering if someone could please advise what information is contained within this document?

Page 1: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1357537141

Page 2: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1357537141

Regards,
Michael
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I have found another record for Pietro's death, which appears in the "Allegati" section of the records and seems to be a lot easier to read.

I was wondering if someone could please advise what information is contained within this document?

Page 1: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1357537141

Page 2: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1357537141

Regards,
Michael
Michael
This record is from the Consulate in Rio di Janeiro and is dated July 10, 1869. It states that this consulate received the act of death of Pietro Picchi from the office of the secular vicar from the parish of S. Maria D'Imperatore in Marica (Marica is a municipality in the Brazilian state of Rio di Janeiro-some 50 km from the city of Rio itself). The act of death was translated into Italian from the Portuguese (this same info actually appears in the other record you had posted). The record is registered on page 169 of the church's book (normally parishes had books devoted to births, deaths, or marriages) and it says that Pietro died on May 15, 1869 from a fever in the location called Ponta Negra, which belonged to this parish of Marica. It then gives the exact same info as I previously gave you-about him being white, married, etc), and it states that he was buried in the cemetery of this parish.

So this record is really the same, in terms of information about Pietro, as the one I previously translated for you.The Consulate in Rio's record was written based on the death information it had received from the vicar of the Brazilian parish, and the Italian town's record copy was also written based on the same information it had received from this same Brazilian secular priest.
Erudita