2 bambino death records to Domenico Ciampa within 1 year?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
misschristi16
Master
Master

2 bambino death records to Domenico Ciampa within 1 year?

Post by misschristi16 »

#1 Francescantonio Ciampa bambino of Domenico Ciampa and Maria Cappiello. Died August 1897

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1791685982

Donato Ciampa, bambino of Domenico Ciampa and Maria Cappiello. Died--June of 1898--cannot make out the day. Any help would be appreciated.

Both babies to the same family--10 months apart. Could one be older than a new baby? Please help with translation.
Thanks!
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: 2 bambino death records to Domenico Ciampa within 1 year

Post by erudita74 »

You've accidentally posted the same link twice, so I can only see the record for Francescantonio dated Aug 2, 1897. He died yesterday on the 1st, at the age of 8 months, in the house at #56 via Santa Maria. He was the son of Domenico Ciampa and Maria Cappiello, both peasant/farmers.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Death Record Donato Ciampa

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I think this is the link you were intending:

You are right, Donato was an older child.

Death Record Index #16 Donato Ciampa
Dated 12 June 1898
He died yesterday (ieri), so 11 June 1898 and was aged 4 years.
Different address: Via Santa Maria No 21
Parents: Domenico Ciampa, Farmer and Maria Cappiello, Farmer

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:I think this is the link you were intending:

You are right, Donato was an older child.

Death Record Index #16 Donato Ciampa
Dated 12 June 1898
He died yesterday (ieri), so 11 June 1898 and was aged 4 years.
Different address: Via Santa Maria No 21
Parents: Domenico Ciampa, Farmer and Maria Cappiello, Farmer

Angela
Just wanted to add that one of the declarers of the event was Donato Ciampa, age 30, farmer living in Rapone so he was possibly an uncle to the children?

AnG
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

Thanks for the help. Sorry I posted the same link--that is what I get when I am rushing out the door. :?

Question--does it state how the 4 yr. old died? Do they list that in death records, or do they just record a death?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

misschristi16 wrote:Thanks for the help. Sorry I posted the same link--that is what I get when I am rushing out the door. :?

Question--does it state how the 4 yr. old died? Do they list that in death records, or do they just record a death?
You are very welcome.

I can't see anything obvious there and my understanding is that they don't normally state what caused the death. I have only seen the cause of death noted twice in my records and this occurred when in each case my 2 respective ancestors died in another country (ie not in Italy). Both their records appeared in the supplementary register (Part II) which usually appears at the end of the respective year. (Sorry this sounds a little clumsy - just let me know if it doesn't make sense to you. :) )

I hope this helps.

AnG
misschristi16
Master
Master

Post by misschristi16 »

Ang--
Thanks for all your help. I understand everything you said. I also realize children got sick much worse back then, than they do now.
on your post where you mentioned a Donato Ciampa was one of the declarants of death--it could very well be their uncle. Domenico had a brother Donato who was 30 at that time! That is interesting. And, also thanks for looking up that other link for me and translating it. I appreciate it!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

misschristi16 wrote:Ang--
Thanks for all your help. I understand everything you said. I also realize children got sick much worse back then, than they do now.
on your post where you mentioned a Donato Ciampa was one of the declarants of death--it could very well be their uncle. Domenico had a brother Donato who was 30 at that time! That is interesting. And, also thanks for looking up that other link for me and translating it. I appreciate it!
So glad I could help. :D

Yes the mortality rate among children was extremely high back then. Just to mention one: my great aunt during the late 1800s had four children, three of which died as children. There were lots of other instances also. Very sad. During 1864 approximately 50% of the deaths recorded in my town related to children. I guess some years there were epidemics as well and the percentage may have been even greater. This is something I need to look into further for myself some time.

Yes, I wondered whether Donato might either have been a brother or even a cousin of Domenico.

All the best with your continuing search. :)

Angela