How do I find siblings of great grandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

How do I find siblings of great grandparents

Post by brenta »

Hi there,

I'm finding it really hard to track down any more information on my great grandfather Battista Brenta 1836 - 1890 Domaso. I've manged to find his wife and I think all of his children however I have no idea how to find his siblings. Ancestry isn't giving me anything I can be sure of. Could anyone point me in the right direction to try and track down his family?

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: How do I find siblings of great grandparents

Post by adelfio »

Sister of Battista Brenta
Name:Quintilia Brenta
Birth Year:1830
Father:Quinto Brenta
Mother:Marta Salice
Record Type:Decesso
Date:3 dic 1894 (3 Dec 1894)
City:Domaso
County:Como

CLICK ON IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi!
Death record of Quinto Brenta, father of Battista
Born in Domaso 25 Oct. 1808, son of another Battista and of Innocenza Rocca
Died in Domaso 21 Jul. 1866
Death was declared the day after. One of the declarants was his son Battista, aged 30, occupation: (of the son) butcher
http://interactive.ancestry.it/1197/vbm ... turnRecord
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Your question was 'how to find siblings'.
First locate names of parents, then search birth records for other children. It's a slow process ans since you are right at the beginning of civil records you will also need to search death and marriage records since all these records include the names of parents.
Good luck!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Wow! Thank you all so so much. What an amazing site. I've tried doing a search using his parents names on Ancestry but only managed to come up with Quintilla. Would I now really need to write to the area they lived? My Italian is dreadful at best so I'm finding the documents hard going. I have found a pretty lengthy marriage document on Ancestry but it's so dense I'm having trouble getting any real information from it. I'm not sure how to post it on here though.

Thank you Paola for telling me Quinto's parents!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You can post the file as a attachment to your post in the full editor mode

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Thank you Marty. I've attached the document, hopefully correctly!

If anyone could pull out anything useful I would be very very grateful. I've tried to go through it myself but I am just finding this one too hard to work out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is what I see... :-)

Always welcome another set of eyes to verify ...

Record #12
Battista Antonio Sesto Brenta & Vittoria Teresa Meneghini(?)
Office of the Vital Records of the Comune of Sondrio

Extract of the Register of Marriages #29(actof volume?) of the year 1866 of the act of marriage of Antonio Sesto Battista Brenta & of Vittoria Teresa Meneghini

Dated 8 October 1866 at 7 PM municipal office in Sondrio
Before the official …
with Giovanni Meneghini son of deceased Pietro, of age 49, a blacksmith residing here, and Giuseppe Meneghini son of Antonio, of age 25, clerk, also residing here; [the witnesses]
Appeared Signore Battista Antonio Sesto Brenta, butcher of age 30, born and residing in Domaso, son of deceased Quinto and living Martina Salici, a shopkeeper residing in Domaso;
AND
Vittoria Teresa Meneghini, shopkeeper of age 22, born and residing here, the daughter of living Antonio and of living Perpetua Ferrari, butchers of this town.
Publication of the banns of marriage, their birth records and another record from the groom(?) (need clarification from someone else on this), these records were provided to the official on 21 September last, and the publication of the banns as required followed in this town and in Domaso, and there was no opposition to the marriage.
Then according to the Civil Code, he asked each if they “take” the other and they responded in the affirmative.
The marriage was recorded in the register, and a copy was released to the Comune of Domaso on 10 October 1866.

T.
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Oh thank you so much Tessa! That's a fantastic amount of information. I just posted this in the translation help thread too just encase I had posted it in the wrong area. I've been staring at this document for so long trying to pull out anything I can understand with no real success so thank you so much for saving me!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

brenta wrote:Oh thank you so much Tessa! That's a fantastic amount of information. I just posted this in the translation help thread too just encase I had posted it in the wrong area. I've been staring at this document for so long trying to pull out anything I can understand with no real success so thank you so much for saving me!
Glad to help... :D

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The additional record for the groom was a document proving that he was a widower (l'atto comprovante il suo stato vedovile). The name of deceased wife is not written anywhere.
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Thank you Livio! That's brilliant and really helps as I was sure I found a daughter that was his but couldn't find Vittorias name. I will dig our her marriage record and see if you guys can help me confirm this if you'd all be so kind.
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Would there be any information in this that would be able to tell me if this is also Battistas daughter? There seems to be so many Elizabetta's I can't be sure which maybe his especially as I don't know his first wifes name. How would I find that out? Also what would usually happen to children from previous marriages? Would they stay with the father or go to the mothers family? Sorry loads of questions there! Thank you so much for any help.

Kate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marked record
vbmdita1860_2140805-1324.jpg
Marty

Marty
brenta
Rookie
Rookie

Post by brenta »

Fantastic Marty thanks so much. I could make out the Maria part but had no idea what the last name was and Ancestry and transcribed it wrongly as Instoni. That must be his daughter then surely. Does it have Elizabettas date of birth on it?