Help deciphering age on birth record (Antenati)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Help deciphering age on birth record (Antenati)

Post by jkingb »

I am hoping someone can confirm for me! I am having trouble deciphering the age of the father, Bartolomeo, in the birth record of Giuseppe (middle record, left hand side). It looks like thirty-three, but the ink is very thick and lettering not perfectly legible. The reason I have doubts is because this does not match any of my other sources - 23 would be a much better match, but then the mother, Maria Maddalena would be 2 years older, as she is listed as being 25 on this record. I believe that in old French, 23 could be written as "vint e trois" as opposed to the modern "vingt trois" (but the mother's age is n the latter format-so to use the former for the father only seems odd).. Any ideas?

I realize that sometimes the stated ages are mere approximations, but in this case. a 10 year difference is pretty significant.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Help deciphering age on birth record (Antenati)

Post by erudita74 »

jkingb wrote:I am hoping someone can confirm for me! I am having trouble deciphering the age of the father, Bartolomeo, in the birth record of Giuseppe (middle record, left hand side). It looks like thirty-three, but the ink is very thick and lettering not perfectly legible. The reason I have doubts is because this does not match any of my other sources - 23 would be a much better match, but then the mother, Maria Maddalena would be 2 years older, as she is listed as being 25 on this record. I believe that in old French, 23 could be written as "vint e trois" as opposed to the modern "vingt trois" (but the mother's age is n the latter format-so to use the former for the father only seems odd).. Any ideas?

I realize that sometimes the stated ages are mere approximations, but in this case. a 10 year difference is pretty significant.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
I am reading trente trois ans for him-age 33.

Erudita
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thank you again. That is what I read as well, and now there is an inconsistency in my records.. More work ahead, I guess.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

jkingb wrote:Thank you again. That is what I read as well, and now there is an inconsistency in my records.. More work ahead, I guess.

You're very welcome. Sorry the age in this record has created such an inconsistency in your research.

Erudita