Daleo,DeLeo,Dalo of Cianciana, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Daleo,DeLeo,Dalo of Cianciana, Sicily

Post by mcvega »

I am looking for information on Giovanni (John) Daleo, DeLeo, Dalo. He was born abt 1885. Not sure where he was born but in did live in Cianciana. He married Anna Castellano, born 1887, in Cianciana.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Daleo,DeLeo,Dalo of Cianciana, Sicily

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the possible birth record for Anna Castellano...
If we can find the marriage record we should be able to establish where Giovanni was born :-)
Unfortunately, there is no notation on the BR for a marriage...

Birth record of Anna Castellano in Cianciana – 1887
Dated 13 March
Father: Giuseppe Castellano, 25, farmer
Mother: Giuseppa Cicero, spinner, not his wife
Child born from a natural union with the mother, on 9 March at the place at Via Santo Rocco #1, and was given the name ANNA

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349478002

T.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

HI,
I was looking at the birth register of Anna Castellano but I cannot read the names. I know her parents were Giuseppe Castellano and Giuseppa Cicero. She also had a brother named Francesco Castellano. Francesco lived on Santo Rocca i think
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Oh, what does it mean "not his wife" and "a natural union with the mother?"
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mcvega wrote:HI,
I was looking at the birth register of Anna Castellano but I cannot read the names. I know her parents were Giuseppe Castellano and Giuseppa Cicero. She also had a brother named Francesco Castellano. Francesco lived on Santo Rocca i think
Yes, those are the parents' names listed in the birth record above :-)

Do you know the year of Giovanni and Anna's marriage?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mcvega wrote:Oh, what does it mean "not his wife" and "a natural union with the mother?"
SOMETIMES it just means that the couple were married in church, but not by a civil ceremony, so they were not looked upon as married in the "eyes of the state."

The "natural union" just refers to a natural birth... It's the language that was used at the time.

T.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thank you
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

No, I don't know when they were married, I know he came to the states in 1907, then came back to Sicily and left again with Anna and a couple of kids in 1910 or 1914
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Tessa78 wrote:
mcvega wrote:HI,
Yes, those are the parents' names listed in the birth record above :-)

Do you know the year of Giovanni and Anna's marriage?

T.
This should be the Marriage Bann of the couple you are looking for at Index 34 so it must have been some time in 1904. There is quite a bit of info here. I've made a start with the translation but I'll let someone else finish and fill in the gaps as I'm a bit pressed for time at the minute. Thank you.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349479901

Marriage Bann: Index 34
Giovanni De Leo and Anna Castellano
Dated 12 June 1904
Giovanni De Leo, Single, 24, Profession?, living Cianciana, son of Marco, aged 60, Peasant Farmer, living in Cianciana and son of the late Maria Pistone
And also (presenting the info, I guess, probably because Anna was only 17?) Giuseppe Castellano, aged 42, Profession?, residing in Cianciana, father of Anna, unmarried woman, aged 17, casalinga, residing in Cianciana daughter of Giuseppa Cicero, casalinga residing in Cianciana.

Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

It looks like the birth place of Giovanni was corrected... from Cianciana to Toppolo

This may be Toppolo, comune of Santo Stefano del Sole, Avellino, Campania

The death record of Giovanni's mother, Maria Pistone, was received from the Comune of Toppolo -

You may wish to write to the Comune of Toppolo to request Giovanni's birth and Maria Pistone's death records

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Santo Stefano del Sole
Piazza del Popolo 2
83050 Santo Stefano del Sole AV
ITALY

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I believe that Giovanni's birthplace is Joppolo Giancaxio (Agrigento), some records are online: https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1946817
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
This should be the Marriage Bann of the couple you are looking for at Index 34 so it must have been some time in 1904. There is quite a bit of info here. I've made a start with the translation but I'll let someone else finish and fill in the gaps as I'm a bit pressed for time at the minute. Thank you.

Dated 12 June 1904
Giovanni De Leo, Single, 24, Profession Zolfataro=sulfur miner, living Cianciana, son of Marco, aged 60, Peasant Farmer, living in Cianciana and son of the late Maria Pistone
And also (presenting the info, I guess, probably because Anna was only 17?correct) Giuseppe Castellano, aged 42, Profession?Villico=peasant, residing in Cianciana, father of Anna, unmarried woman, aged 17, casalinga, residing in Cianciana daughter of Giuseppa Cicero, casalinga residing in Cianciana.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:

Dated 12 June 1904
Giovanni De Leo, Single, 24, Profession Zolfataro=sulfur miner, living Cianciana, son of Marco, aged 60, Peasant Farmer, living in Cianciana and son of the late Maria Pistone
And also (presenting the info, I guess, probably because Anna was only 17?correct) Giuseppe Castellano, aged 42, Profession?Villico=peasant, residing in Cianciana, father of Anna, unmarried woman, aged 17, casalinga, residing in Cianciana daughter of Giuseppa Cicero, casalinga residing in Cianciana.

Angela
Livio and Tessa: Thank you both for the back up here with Index 34, Giovanni and Anna's Marriage Bann.

Dolly: I also came across another sybling of Anna and Francesco (Vincenza) so will post the link to the image below my interpretation here:

Marriage Bann: Index 5
Giuseppe and Vincenza Castellano
Dated 4 February 1907
Giuseppe Galvano, Single, 26, Villico, living Cianciana, son of Nicolo, aged 62, Villico, living in Cianciana and son of Francesca Spoto, Casalinga, living in Cianciana
And also presenting the info Giuseppe Castellano, aged 44, Villico, residing in Cianciana, father of Vincenza, unmarried woman, aged 17, casalinga, residing in Cianciana daughter of Giuseppa Cicera, casalinga residing in Cianciana.

Vincenza Castellano Index 5 Anna's sister: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349479901

Angela

P.S. Re Anna and Giovanni: I had a look through the Allegati for 1904 to see if there was any pertaining to Anna and Giovanni but I couldn't see any there unfortunately. I don't think all the Allegati for 1904 was included there.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thanks to all of you for all the information. I do have one more question, What is "casalinga" I see that in the post above saying "unmarried woman, age 17 casalinga,
Thanks again for all the help, I will be going there in May and this is really great. Maybe I can find where they lived, or if any family still resides there.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mcvega wrote:Thanks to all of you for all the information. I do have one more question, What is "casalinga" I see that in the post above saying "unmarried woman, age 17 casalinga,
Thanks again for all the help, I will be going there in May and this is really great. Maybe I can find where they lived, or if any family still resides there.
You are very welcome for the help.

Casalinga translates to "housewife" but I guess in this case it possibly meant that she did home duties or domestic duties. Someone else might have a better idea.

Hope you enjoy your trip :)

Angela